123abc
Years ago

NBA or NBL for Newley

Channel 10 Sports Report

Brad Newley has stated that before he leaves for the US he wants to sign a contract with the Sixers or Tigers. If he doesn't make the NBA, then he says that he would rather play in the NBL and develop than sit on the bench in Europe.

Newley says that he has always looked up to Brett and lives in Adelaide and has always supported the Sixers but it is hard to turn down Gaze who is persuing him.

Sixers seem to be in with a very good chance of signing Newley but will he get picked up in the NBA?

Topic #11175 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Havn't you said on ozhoops that the Tigers have signed Newley sixers33?

Reply #130250 | Report this post

dry back  
Years ago

no, might get picked late second round if lucky, and he would be an idiot not to go to europe! if he got offered a contract.

more money, tougher competition and more chance of eventually going to the nba

Reply #130251 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea out of the 2 main targets Newley and Schenscher i thought Newley was the more likely to play in the NBL, i dont think he will get a full time NBA gig, but wish him well as another Aussie in the NBA would be AWESOME! and from the report he doesnt seem that interested or desprate to go to Europe so i wouldnt be surprised to see him in the NBL. Bit like guys like Sam Mackinnon, who also trialled NBA at around Newleys age and came back and played majority of his career in the NBL, apart from David Andersen, Bogut and Schenscher pretty much all the other top Aussies have played significant time in the NBL

Reply #130253 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

NBA is more likey for mind. He did have scouts come out to watch him play last year. I remember one game they were supposedly at and he played very badly. Does anyone know if he has to play in the summer league before the draft? It will all depend on how he plays in that i guess. Wish him well though, can only improve our basketball stocks.

Reply #130254 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

In some ways I hope he doesn't get drafted, but still heads over to the camps and such and pimps out his goods to a large number of teams.

IMO it would be worse IF he got drafted in the second round than not being selected at all. If he's drafted then he's tied to that team unless he's traded.

Not sure how he'd go in Europe as he'd be an import. Not too sure if a top flight Europe program would give him a run???

I think he'd be better nominating for the draft (regardless of being picked or not), but remaining in the NBL for a while, busts it out during the Oceania series, kills it at the Olympics and then looks at heading to the NBA.

Reply #130255 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea id say a bust out Olympics could be his best bet, a bit like Shane Heal back in 1996 Olympics

Reply #130257 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I hope it's not too premature but...

C Import/Cooper
F Ballinger/???
F Newley/Copeland
G Maher/Ng
G Davidson/Sutton

5th or 6th position maybe???

Reply #130266 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I hope it's not too premature but...

C Import/Cooper
F Ballinger/Dench
F Newley/Copeland
G Maher/Ng
G Davidson/Sutton

5th or 6th position maybe???

Reply #130267 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

An injure to one or two key players like last season would devastate that team.

Reply #130268 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

A quick Points count of the Tigers gives:

Anstey 10
Thomas 10
Hoare 8
Barlow 8
Stiff 8
Crosswell 7
Dmac 7
Corletto 1
Greer 1
Tucker 9

Thats a pts. total of 69, already 1 over the 68 pooint limit. This means they have to sack some1 - presumably tucker as has been rumoured which gives a pts total of 60. Add Newley who is a 9 and that is a total of 69 again which is not within the limit. To fit Newley in, another player has to depart from the Tigers, the only player who has possibly been rumoured to be leaving is Thomas - which would free up another 10 points meaning they could fit in Newley. However I think Newley is a downgrade on Thomas and picking up Newley means they can only sign a 9 point import. The only listed ones atm are Farley, Franklin, Scott and Tucker, none of who it appears the Tigers are interested in. I think this means the signing of Newley could well result as a negative for the Tigers. If I were them, I would be doing everything possible to keep Thomas who IMO is the best import in the league. If Newley signs with the Tigers, it will be interesting to see who goes or who stays. I can't see the Tigers improving their team with the signing of Newley unless they rort the points system, which I guess isnt all that inconceivable.

Reply #130273 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

your forgeting the mcpeake rule,

he makes the rules to suit his team

im sure dmac will get some sort of loyalty rating or long service rating for being in the league for a billion years

Reply #130284 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

Well i dont think Dmac can get that loyalty discount, he already has a discount of 2 points making him a 7 instead of a 9 due to loyalty which doesn't really make sense because he signed with the Tigers the season before the Giants folded. If they do manage to fit him in, I think there will be a lot more people crying foul than was the case with the Dench situation last yr. Newley should be a 10 anyway.

Reply #130289 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I hope they go with

Dench/Cooper
Ballinger/
Import/Copeland
Newley/Ng
Maher/Davidson/Sutton
or maybe a import PG, and move Maher and Newley up one spot!

Reply #130291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tucker has been released so their back to 60 points (by your tally).

Reply #130292 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I don't think he'll play summer league before the draft, possibly because summer league is after the draft.

Reply #130322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should sign Ed Scott he had game

Reply #130346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh so it is friend. Thanks. The draft is on June 28 and the summer league starts in July. Historically those that don't get picked in the first or second round draft play in the summer league and hope to get picked up by a team this way. I believe that's what Schenscher did last year. Does everyone think that Newley will do the same if he doesn't get drafted?

Reply #130347 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

Yeh your right M Dizzle. June 28 draft and summer camp in July. If he misses both rounds of the draft, does everyone think he will play in summer league? Try and get picked up by a team this way, similar to what Schenscher did last year.

Reply #130387 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

If he's serious about making the NBA it'd be stupid not to play in summer leagues.

Reply #130400 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

C Import/Cooper
F Ballinger/Dench
F Newley/Copeland
G Maher/Ng
G Davidson/Sutton

=66pts

OR

C Import/Cooper
F Ballinger/Dench
F Drmic/Copeland
G Maher/Ng
G Davidson/Sutton

=64pts

OR

C Import/Cooper
F Ballinger/Dench
F Newley/Drmic
G Maher/Ng
G Davidson/Sutton

=67pts

Reply #130412 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Injuries to a couple of starters any three of those teams above would be a worry. The bench may provide a quick spark now and then but I think the team is lacking in some sort of X factor off the bench.

Reply #130416 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

D16 if Brisbane were to have McKinnon and Rychart or Bruton out then they would worry.

Melbourne, Anstey and Thomas or Sydney, Smith and Saville or Cattalini and Mee for Cairns would all suck without thise players.

Having a few starters out due to injury would make any team suck in any sport.

However i agree that yes Adelaide don't have the X factor off the bench. If the Sixers got Newley and Dench than they would have an awesome team. Hemmerling and Smyth have used players that are cheap and don't take up many points in the cap to be able to have Newley, Maher and two imports.

C Import
F Ballinger
F Newley
G Maher
G Davidson

Four of the players could potentially average 20+ points a game.

Then there's Copeland which provides drive, D, attitde, confidence booster

Sutton provides Defence, scoring option from 3, brings the ball up well rather than having Maher or NG do it.

NG discovered drive last year and can score very well from 3 point land.

Dench could provide height and force someone tall to defend him from the three point line which helps Maher, Newley drive. Can hit the three well.

Cooper great at defence, nice shot blocker.

New recruit Ballinger can hit the jumpshot and will be great for offensive rebounds and D, Davidson can hit the three and bring the ball up to relieve Maher of the PG duty.

If we get Newley, he would provide D, Drive and a nice three point shot.

Signing Dench and Newley would be awesome and Adelaide would have a good enough team to get 6th spot atleast.

Reply #130422 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

sorry must laught at this

"Then there's Copeland which provides drive, D, attitde, confidence booster"

D? wtf did you see any sixers game last season,

attitude yes

drive, umm maybe after 6 bricks in a row he will drive, if he did it more so it would have been ok

Reply #130445 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Yet he was probably our best player last year.

He played Defence more than most other players. He did some nice drives aswell.

Reply #130449 | Report this post

Hoops 42  
Years ago

He played no Defence (except once when that picture the nbl website uses was taken) and i do think Brett was our best player by a country mile. Brett also won the club mvp

Reply #130450 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

one thing for copeland is he showed heart and passion,

and in todays mail, potsie mentions that they are looking at him a mentor who will play a bit more so then a key players.

Reply #130452 | Report this post

Geofftime  
Years ago

Newley can and will develop into a fantastic basketballer for Australia.
U people have to understand he is not a Gaze. He is not a Heal. He is not a McKinnon. He is Brad Newley.

He has exciting talent that can break a game apart. and not many have that.

sure - his turnovers are a a concern, but he is a young playmaker, developing in a tired game. he will work it out within 2 years and be a fine starter for any NBL team.

I don't believe he is suited to the NBA and Europe but should explore those avenues as best he can to assist his pay packet.

would u do the same??

Reply #130471 | Report this post

Drivin me crazy  
Years ago

Copeland would provide drive???

Well I suppose he could drive Miss Daisy, Drive me crazy, Drive down to the Devil Gate Drive, Drive me off a cliff...

Newley will also make the NBA.

By the way what does NBA stand for?
National Bankers Association? He would definately make that!

Reply #130491 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:07 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754