jo
Years ago

jumpball rule???

is ne one against the "no jump ball at half time" rule. in older divisions it seems ok but for little kids its quite hard. in the first 3 weeks i have seen 3 different teams all score for the wrong team (it worked in my advantage because they all scored for my team) afta half time. i think that the jump ball at half time helped the little ones remeber that there is a change of ends. has ne one else had trouble with this rule? what are your opinions?

Topic #1119 | Report this topic

incog  
Years ago

Why did they bring the jump ball rule in? It does not make sense! A team that works hard in defense to stitch up the offense and get a jump ball actually loses possession.

Bring the jump balls back.

Reply #12432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NEVER bring the jump ball's back, Until the umpires can throw it up at a consistent height.

Reply #12434 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Still deciding whether it is a good rule or not. Umpires and bench must make sure that if there is a 'jump ball' situation, and the possesion arrow is pointing toward the offence end, there is no re-set of the shot clock.

The shot clock can't re-set as there has been no shot attempt or change of possession.

I've raised this on a number of occasions and the umpires don't understand my point. A few times, with the shot clock winding down, a 'jump ball' has resulted in a new shot clock actually to the advantage of the offence. Not right.

On the subject of crappy rules, we have to get rid of the ability to call time outs during play. You have a player double teamed in the corner and he calls for time. Crap.

Reply #12437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back the Jump Ball. Score benches that is ususally manned by parents have enough to do without worrying about the arrow. Getting parents to score is a big eniugh problem and Now at Pasedena and Wayville in Div 1 games they want a 24 second clock. A Jump Ball is as it say a Jump Ball. Everyone say it gives the team with Height the advantage but not so. Cause you can read the Tap and a coach can work out playes from it.

Reply #12438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Everyone say it gives the team with Height the advantage but not so. Cause you can read the Tap and a coach can work out playes from it."

By "reading the tap", i guess you mean jumping early and getting the ball on the way up, which is illegal, which is why they got rid of the jump ball.

Reply #12439 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I think he meant the non-participating 8 players reading the tap, anticipating where they'll hit it, and intercepting it.

Reply #12441 | Report this post

luvthecrest  
Years ago

Bring back the jump ball, not just at half time but for all tied up situations. How hard is it to throw the ball up anyway, and if the throw is not right the ump can always take it back and do it again. Not that hard really.

The jump ball does not favour the tall teams. Its usually the most athletic person that takes the tap anyway, and how often do you see a clean tap straight to the person intended? the answer is not very often. the ball usually is fumbled around and touched by multiple people before someone finally comes up with possession. When the game is in the last few minutes or seconds I think this is a great part of the game, where everyone is scambling after the ball to get possession.

I really just don't understand why you would not use this rule!

Having said that, how stupid are these kids that are scoring for the opposition. Its not hard to remember that there is a change in direction after half time, not to mention everyone yelling at them telling them to stop going the wrong way.

Reply #12444 | Report this post

Xavier Rudd  
Years ago

It is a FIBA rule, we can't change it. It will be in for good, just accept it.

Reply #12446 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

Does anyone know the FIBA reasoning behind this rule change?

Reply #12448 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

I like the one single jump ball to start the game. Why do it 4 times? I personally believe that the team who lost the jump ball should start the second and third quarterd and the team who won the tip should start the fourth quarter with the ball. I don't think that is the way it is set up at the moment.

I hate the no jump balls for ties up situations. No reason to do away with jump balls in total, just the meaningless jump ball to start the quarter. I don't believe the current rules encourage good defensive play when tying the ball up can result in the other team being rewarded the ball. It's stupid.

Finally, if FIBA does it the NBL shouldn't have to automatically. They are not Gods. If it doesn't suit our league, ignore it.

Reply #12450 | Report this post

beyondthearc  
Years ago

sure jasmine fiba does it so the nbl doesn't or the wnbl doesn't do it then when our international players go away whether that be opals, boomers or the younger brigade they are at a loss to play the way the rest of the world play it.

smart move jasmine why not make our own rules and just play in our own little comp and don't worry about the world of basketball at large. who cares if we are second ranked team in women etc et al!!!

think about it woman .......

Reply #12454 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Professionals can adjust to minor rule changes at international level. I'm with Jasmine. Do what suits our league.
The National squads can train under those conditions or play their warm-up and exibition games under FIBA rules.

NBL and BASA should do what suits their leagues.

An example of FIBA rules making life difficult occured in a senior men division this year.

A certain team (not ABL) got corporate sponsorship to supply them with new uniforms. Under the direction of the ABL program, they used a design that was the same as the ABL team, but with reverse colours. (i.e. - where there was black they put red, where there was red they put black). The uniform design was the same as Hunter Valley from 2003/2004 season.

BASA have now said that the uniform does not fit in FIBA regulations and they will now have to get new uniforms.

$1400 bucks down the drain. The uniforms are otherwise great. Best in our league (arguably!!)

Not mentioning any club names....oops! U probably worked it out from the colours!

Reply #12457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they should have bothered to get BASA approval before making them?

Don't blame BASA or FIBA for the fact the club did the wrong thing.

Reply #12459 | Report this post

ShutUp!!!  
Years ago

When the Stats people were given information about the rule change for ABL & NBL/WNBL games, we were told that the reason for the Rule Change was that the most injuries occured during Jump Balls. (?????)
That was what was in the information sheet, not saying they were right though!!!!

Reply #12460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason for the change is exactly the same as the reason for a number of other changes and that is to speed the game up. Less standing around, less wasting of time; MORE ACTION BABY!!!

Simple.

Reply #12461 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

I have never seen anyone injure themselves at a jump ball

Reply #12463 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

KB hurt his finger early in his 36ers career on a jump ball. Catt took most of the jumps from then on.

Reply #12465 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

beyondthearc....If the Australian men and women lost an international match because they couldn't adjust to different rules of possession following tie-ups, then they shouldn't be playing at that level. We are not talking fundamental changes to what you are allowed to do defensively here. They Australian men and women could play exactly the same way, just the outcome of tying up the ball would be different. Besides, they could train for international rules using those rules.

Also, perhaps you could watch your attitude or learn to disagree without being disagreeable.

Reply #12473 | Report this post

beyondthearc  
Years ago

attitude pfft

Reply #12481 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Anyone want to know why we don't jump ball!?!

The NBA!

Reply #12508 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

it struggles i liked it the original way, this alternating thing struggles cause in the final minutes of a games u hustle on a loose ball and you may not get rewareded for it

Reply #12802 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I personally like the new rule.

Always hated jump balls as a ref, amd as a journo and also stats caller now, I tend to find it makes the game a bit more flowing for some reason.

Reply #12815 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

With regards to BASA. They approved them on the condition that the West senior committee approved them. Like I said, the West ABA side had been wearing them all year, as had Hunter Valley. Was a stuff up by all but those who had gone out of their way to get sponsorship. I'm just saying, its an example of FIBA rules hurting the local game. more likely than not, the sponsor won't be on board next season.

Reply #12826 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Jirachi....true, you may not win the jump ball and therefore get no reward. But at least you have a chance, no matter how slim.

Reply #12835 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Even a height advantage is no guarantee (Holmes beat Sanford to kick off the Sydney game last week) and winning the tip is no guarantee of one of your other four gaining clean possession.

I liked the jump balls -- bring them back I say.

Reply #12839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my basketball league we still do jump ball at half time instead of passing it in. It's more fair in my opinion

Reply #448029 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:35 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754