Isaac
Years ago

ABA import deduction for NBL clubs?

devils posted this within a topic on the OzHoops boards:

I know the points reduction is a topical issue, but I think for some import players keen to paly in australia and make the it to NBL level through the NBL (Mod: I think they mean ABL) should be given a reduction.
So, here's the idea - normal imports coming into the NBL are rated a 10. Imports who complete a full season in an ABA competition (WA, Big V, SEABL, QABL, Central ABL, NZ NBL even?) are rated as an 8 should they get picked up by an NBL team the following year.

Shawn Redhage is one example of a player who has taken that road. There may be a few prospects from the NZ NBL too.

This would give teams more points to spend on Australian players and potentially increase the level of talent/imports at ABA level.

Thoughts?

Topic #11198 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

What would happen then say they play 2 seasons of ABL but on the 3rd year decide to go back home for the winter, Would their rating then jump back upto 10?

Reply #130496 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know, you tell me how it might work. I'd almost say, sure, as long as they logged a full year at some point.

If a rich club owner wanted to run a new star in the CABL just to get them a points reduction in the following year, so be it - wouldn't hurt CABL crowds.

Might be limited to imports that are yet to play any NBL time though. Saves someone like Dusty becoming an 8 just because he is playing an off-season while staying in the country.

Reply #130499 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

The only advantage the player would get is that they have a greater chance of being picked up by an NBL team. However, i think it is a great idea and would develop ABL players.

If an import plays in the ABL then they should be 8pts for the following NBL season however if they play 2 seasons in the ABL they should be able to have the third season off to go where ever.

On the topic (kind of)

Commissioner: NBL import search needs to go global

National Basketball League Commissioner Rick Burton believes that NBL teams need to place more focus on Europe, South America, Africa and Asia in their search for top class import players.

"Real, superstar-level basketball talent can be found in all corners of the globe, and our clubs constantly need to expand their scouting and challenge the traditional thinking in terms of where to find their imports."

Link: http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=4942

Reply #130500 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

I like the idea Isaac.

Reply #130546 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I like the idea also, and if it included the NZNBL that would probably be a good idea, Bhakari Hendrix who i think was a reasonably high pick in the NBA draft is out there playing for KB with the saints and seems to be doing very well, id be interested to see how well someone like him would do in the NBL, would he be worth a look for the 36ers, since we probably are going to need a import SF??

Reply #130786 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754