Stephon
Years ago

36ers off-season results

If the proposed signings are completed as expected our off-season will be pretty much as follows:

Out: Charles Thomas, Martin Cattalini and Jason Williams.

In: Willie Farley, Paul Rees and Brad Williams.

I will assume that the roster will be rounded out by Ng and another local ABA player.

Is it just me or do you think that the 'Out' list freed up a lot more cap space than what is being used by the 'In' list.

For example, would have we been happy if Cat had stayed and our big off-season recruits were Rees and Brad Williams to use the cash freed by CTs departure?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the look of next season's team. We have much more balance than last season and Maher alone will be a huge gain.

I just feel looking at the ins and outs that we should have some serious cash to work with in signing our final player rather than just signing a rookie.

I guess the relevant question would be that even if this was the case then who is left on the free agent list to spend it on that would assist us in contending for the championship.

Topic #112 | Report this topic

J  
Years ago

I reckon cats money, say 200k was used on farley and williams and rees, and CT's cash was used in retaining Dusty and jacob

Reply #846 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

So who got the money that we had left for the big man import we were supposedly targetting if Cat stayed?

Reply #855 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I thought the signings hadn't finished and we had room for another big man (not import), ie Moore. Correct me anyone if I'm wrong.

Reply #857 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

yea, i thought so aswell, some of the money left from cat and CT leavin is still available, which is why there are still rumours of guys like rogers and moore, we only have 8 guys signed (assuming farley, rees and williams are signed (or soon to be) as reported in the advertiser) so obviously there is still some cap space!

Reply #859 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I would think that there would be cap room.

Catt was rumoured to be on about a 200k deal (of course, no one but his agent, the 36ers management and Catt himself will know the truth - the way it should be too), and with the signing of Farley and Williams, you would expect the most to be paid there is $185k ($125k max for Farley, $60k for Williams). Of course, this would be a max, and I would be surprised if that is even close to correct.

Points cap wise, we would also have a minimum of 11 points left, mind you, we use all of them, and we could be in trouble is someone gets injured.

If club management has been able to assemble a team like it soulds like we are going to ahve, and still have some strong room under the cap, I must be the first to say well doen to them.

It's not often I get to congratulate the management lately, but if they have done it, they certainly deserve some ptaise for it, and maybe all our criticisms were a bit harsh??

But having said that, let's see what the final roster is before we get to excited about whats going to happen.

Reply #871 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

All subject to the NBL approval, of course...

Reply #872 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd expect Farley to be worth more and Williams less (getting shunted from team to team - in demand by teams, but would struggle to be calling the shots). I've heard nothing, but if $175k is the max, and players like Tucker/Freeman and so on are wanting that or more, surely Farley wouldn't be so far off? He's a good face for the club and was a stand-out performer last time in Adelaide.

Reply #873 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I agree Yogee. I think they have done a great job in the circumstances even if the last position on the roster goes to a rookie regardless if we have cash remaining.

Personally, if we do have cash remaining I would have preferred we went after a player with more bulk such as Moore instead of Brad Williams but having said that Williams is a lot more versatile so arguments can be made both ways.

Smyth tends to like an 8 man roster in any event so signing a 10th man who expects minutes may not be the best idea.

My only concern is that Rees is the only real wide body we have. Every other player on our roster is a finesse type player. Other than Rees we are left with Dusty and Oscar in the centre position like last season.

A guy like Moore who can do the little things such as rebound, set screens and block shots would have been invaluable and certainly would have added toughness to our front court.

For all I know, Moore might already have a European deal but if he doesn't then maybe we should have another look at him.

Reply #892 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

Based on my "guess-timations" of the salaries for the currently contracted players plus Ng, I can't see that there's much more than $35K left for a new centre - unless they don't re-sign Ng. Even then, would there be enough to attract even Moore?

Reply #913 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's too much variation with salary guesstimations based on the entire team, I think. The way I look at it is that we have Rychart and Holmes who would be getting more than last season. Ng maybe a bit more too, but not sure.

The rest of the returning players would be on about the same as last season? It might be easier to calculate based on the differences.

So, the cap has gone up $35k, Cattalini has left (+$200k?), Williams and Hawkes have gone, and Charles Thomas has gone.

What's that add up to? $400k+?

In comes Farley, Rees and Brad Williams (but this is doubtful). We also "lose" money spent on upgrading salaries for Rychart and Holmes.

Farley for $150k? Lose the cap extra and a bit more to Rychart and Holmes? I think there's a bit more than $35k left...

Maher/Ng
Farley/? (Brad Williams)
Holmes/Nash
Rychart/Forman
? (Australian centre)/Rees

I've heard the name of an Australian F/C mentioned that might be on the cards. Potentially inexpensive, but I can't really remember seeing him play before.

Reply #917 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Not living in Adelaide any more i wasn't quite as exposed to the level of media and ill sentiment that the 6ers management took. It was certianly ominous reading posts by yogee regarding the situation the 6ers were in.

If these 3 signings come off and they can bring in a big man, who would have Rees coming off the bench, I would say that it is nothing short of brilliant.

If these 3 signings come off and we dont get a big man, then its a decent offseason, but we are awfully light on in the centre. That isn't always a bad thing, since we won 3 titles with Reesey in the middle, but it is going down the 'past champs back together' path a bit much.

Still, it does give more weight for the Maher for Boomers PG argument I've had with Sydney fans on ozhoops. :D

Reply #951 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:16 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754