Insider
Years ago

NBL - Draft System

Forum seems a little quiet for a Monday so I thought I would pose a question.

What are people's opinions about the NBL setting up a Draft System?

Seems a number of clubs are struggling to recruit numbers while Singapore and NZ (bar Ronaldson) seem to be struggling to attract any players at all.

Not sure that there is a big enough turnover of rookies to run a NBA style draft but could the league look at running a draft/trading system similar to the AFL?

Topic #11203 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What run a rookie camp with the players returning from college and the players that dont want to go to college and would rather play in the nbl

Reply #130516 | Report this post

Insider  
Years ago

Not so much the camp but having all rookies drafted rather then going to a club of choice.

Try spreading the talent out. And even if your team sucks then having the best Rookie in the League would help keep/attract fans IMO.

Reply #130518 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

How would you rank supposed rookies?

Sure Newley was always touted as being/becoming great and would easily be a top ranked rookie before starting his career.

But Ingles was more about potential than straight impact on the nbl, and for most his 1st season was a shock.

Reply #130528 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Might be a bit difficult - only 4 or 5 guys come out each year and only 1 or 2 will be any chop - those 5th or 6th guys would just wanna play locally and so they can continue their normal life

Reply #130533 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I think some camps and workouts would occur, as they do with every rookie draft, to determine that DJ.

I like the idea, it would definitely help with evening up the league. Look at next season, I think Nathan Jawaii would of more use to, well, any team other the Taip's.

Reply #130534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the $ Limit for top $ should be curtailed and the MInium paid raised so that a daft system of some form could be started and the the new player afford to go to any team of the bottom teams.
West Sydney should get first pick.
Adelaide, NZ, Hawks Singapoer Dragons etc etc based on where they finished last season and who they keep of that team?.

Reply #130539 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Good idea - only problem would be if players were rated, selected and then decided to go to college instead of play for Singapore or Breakers.

I guess you could have some form of nomination system and oce you had nominated you were committed to at least one year.

Reply #130541 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

The Draft Sucks, just makes an artificially competetive league and encourages mediocrity.

Im sure when the 36ers fill the stadium each week and are raking in the $$ we wont be asking for a draft..will just say "we are the best, we can buy the best"

Reply #130557 | Report this post

kc4mvp  
Years ago

Missing the point as a DRaft if for League survival not club promotion.

Reply #130607 | Report this post

MILKY  
Years ago

will not work because young rookie guys won't get enough money to uproot and move cities

Reply #130680 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

not missing the point at all...a quality league will exist and grrow, if it contains quality players, that may mean less clubs to ensure higher quality..so be it.

( imagine you were guarenteed that your team would continue to exist, i am sure you would rather watch a league with only 10 teams in it, because those ten teams would have the best 100 or so players, as opposed to the current league that has to many players that arent at a real NBL standard)

most of europe does not need a draft or salary cap in any sports, it is a typical Americanism that is in place to artificially control the competition and ensure they can charge big bucks to TV etc, but does not bring about better games.

Allow the best clubs to buy the best players..you will then see the best games.

Reply #130949 | Report this post

Wendee Saintsing  
Years ago

I dont think that would be a good idea, i think for a better draft system the NBL players or coach should go and visit clubs and big schools like Rostrevor college and sacred heart college because they are planty of youngstars out their are good at basketball and they cant affort to play for club so my recomondation is that as a team u guys should also visit some schools then club like what americans is doing. example Kavin Garnett he didnt attend no university or club.

In conclusion as an american university coach i disagree with the draft system, but i recommend for 36ers to succeed they need to search for player from Schools and Clubs not only clubs.

As well There is a big game at Rostrevor college hall on the 16th Aug 08 - B's team 9:30am and A's 10:30am i would like one of 36ers player or coach to attend if possible thank you

BARTON COLLEGE, USA

Reply #192364 | Report this post

18NBA  
Years ago

I agree with Mr Wendee Saintsing positive comments about players having trouble to be in a basketball club because of money or travelling problems. Us as a couch we should be able to collect or get good players from schools as well: for example. when students from school plays their saturday sport which is basketball, we should be out looking for the best players such as Daniel N who has been the best year 9 player I've seen so far to play centre for Rostrevor College. Try Looking for those couple of schools as they have Excellent basketball players:
Rostrevor College,
Scotch College,
Sacred Heart College
St Peters College

Thanks
your sincerly:
18NBA

Reply #192367 | Report this post

LD  
Years ago

I think that the NBL should introduce a Draft system because it gives the peorson who is trying out a chance to perform better at a Draft camp so they can get picked up by a better team.

Reply #202453 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:55 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754