dry back
Years ago

perfect boomers team

whats everyones thoughts on what the perfect boomers team should look like.(forget injurys, insurance and availability)

my team would look like this

PG - CJ and Aaron Bruce
SG - Newley and Black
SF - Sammy Mac and Worthington
PF - Bogut and Matt Neilson
C - Anderson and Anstey

and i'd have jingles,barlow, saville and luke.S on the fringe

its got youth and experience, very good bigs but the back up guards are the weakness. who else would you put in who isnt to old (mee,smith)

Topic #11209 | Report this topic

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

forgot one thing. what coach would ya have

Reply #130574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHA! Too bad dusty isn't an Aussie and Bradke has retired!

Reply #130575 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

For coach i would have Heal. Time to throw someone with new ideas into the team. He had spirit as a player and would instill this in the boomers team. I would throw Schenscher into the team and possibly throw a young guard in there from the under 20's. You would have to say as well that someone like Cattalini deserves a go averaged 24ppg last year and can go unconscious at times.

Reply #130582 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

Heal ? what so he can backstab the support cast, and sack players who show him up

Reply #130583 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Id have Bogut starting center and Anderson back up Power Forward=)

Reply #130586 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I'd go with:

Bruton/Bruce
Newley/Ryan/Ingles
Mac/Saville/Wortho
Andersen/Neilson
Bogut/Schenscher

I left out Anstey becuase I personally hate 7 footers who are only OK shooters standing around the arc all day.

Hopefully we can have a team like that for Beijing(sp?), provided we qualify first.

Reply #130587 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

Grrr, heal would be fun to watch, you have to admit that. He would give CJ license to shoot 3's all day long from wherever the hell he liked. We are looking light on for the PG spot and backup for it. You would have to go with Mee maybe. Newley and Ingles just may not cut it at this level, in their place i would rather go with Barlow and Cattalini. So who else for coach? Anyone? Andrew Gaze?

Reply #130590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this mean they have got rid of Brian Gorjian?

Reply #130600 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Hasn't Newley already "cut it" at that level? Agree Ingles while off, but Newley should be lock.

Love to see Gaze at Olympics, but can't put rookie coach in charge of Boomers straight away, needs few years in NBL first I think.

Reply #130605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No they haven't got rid of Goorjan, anonymous, we are all just playing wishful thinking.

Reply #130612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles will make it.

Reply #130616 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Australia can also have 12 players at international level.

Reply #130617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruton
Bruce
Markovic
Newley
Barlow
McKinnon
Worthington
Neilson
Anderson
Bogut
Anstey
Schenscher

Emergencies
Mills
Ingles
Kickert

Coach - Goorj.

Reply #130623 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Iti might just be an outsider (right now - and a definite in the next 2-4 years)... In spite of the lack of (or perception thereof)development based on his being a borderline HS ===> NBA player years ago - the guy can play... extremely athletic, runs the floor, and still has a very good chance of making the show - all the tools are there... Guys with his size and natural gifts are very rare -

Reply #130634 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's the story with Iti? The name comes up occasionally, but the last details I heard years back was that he had a parent or adviser building him up/pushing him in the wrong direction?

Is he a year or two off finishing college?

Reply #130638 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

I think he has one more year playing under Reggie Theus in NM - and i know he is on the radar screen of NBA scouts for the reasons i alluded above - having an ex-NBA star (who is being bandied around as a future NBA coach) as your coach has to also be advantageous to getting your name into workouts and under consideration... I can totally see him getting picked up as a second-rounder based on his potential and athleticism... If Loren Woods could get drafted then Iti should have a chance as well...

Reply #130646 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

I find there is a problem with having the Australian coach and NBL coach as well. What's the bet Goorjan gives majority of Sydney Kings players a run, if Kendall is in the team, i will be fuming... doesn't deserve to be there. Forgot about Markovic, he could be good. Is CJ the number 1 point guard for good, or just temporary. Can't see anyone else coming through with enough class.

Reply #130709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for the boomers team... id definately have darnell mee back up CJ, hes still playin great basketball and could ride it out til the olympics.. under thoes 2... you would have Bruce... hopefully he can be good enough by 2010 worlds.

Reply #130727 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

CJ is the number 1 point for now, but give it a few years and Patrick Mills will own the position, backed up by Aaron Bruce.

For the sake of the topic here is my perfect Boomers for the next 12 months.

Bruton
Bruce
Ingles
Newley
Barlow
McKinnon
Kickert
Neilson
Anderson
Bogut
Anstey
Schenscher

Emergencies
Mills
Wothington

As I said, in a few years I'd prefer Mills over Bruton and swap Worthington for McKinnon and add Aleksandar Maric and Simon Conn.

Reply #130732 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

What about Wade Helliwell? He will probably be there. Jason Smith and Glen Saville make way for Newley and Ingles? Do you go with tried and season veterans or go with youth?
Who is Iti? Never heard of him and what team is NM? Had a look at a college draft website and i see that newley is rated a 1 star out of 6 stars. Could get him a second round draft pick, but it's not exactly encouraging.

Reply #130746 | Report this post

Alan Shaw  
Years ago

Bruce/Bruton
Newley/Black
MacKinnon/Anstey
Andersen/Kickert
Bogut/Schensher

11 and 12 would be Mills and Ingles

Reply #130748 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Helliwell would make a heck of a waterboy (at a stretch he could play towel boy - limited minutes only though)... anything beyond that might be asking too much... As someone said on another thread - he was only in Japan cause of unavailibilty and injury, otherwise he's low on the list of priorities with so many big young guys needing to draw first blood (Maric, Nevill, Loughton, Iti (New Mexico State NCAA)) - Wade had his chance on the big stage in Japan and fluffed it badly even in limited court time(anyone who saw the games will know what i mean - he was there to provide an experienced/calm/big euroleague team head/body and made more (ELEMENTARY - how do you say travel in Italian - Wade???) mistakes than the debutants...)...

Reply #130750 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

PG Mee/Bruton
SG Newley/Ingles/Harvey or Barlow
SF Saville/Mackinnon
PF Nielsen/Anstey
C Bogut/Andersen/Schenscher

Reply #130764 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

Agree about Helliwell's talents as towell boy only Johnny Sack. He is in the current lineup though listed on the basketball.net.au website. It will be interesting to see how close everyone here is. I think it's time to bring in some youth into the team, but i think there will be a mix of experience in there as well. In a way our starting 5 is strong, but we always seem to suffer when we go to the bench. Goorj has a habit of over-subbing in games, i just don't think he should do it as much as the International level. Leave the starting 5 on longer and sub 1 in each time, if you have to.

Reply #130780 | Report this post

Giraffe 57  
Years ago

Agree with most but still have talented college ball players to come back over next few years.

Bruce, Maric, Bathie, Knight, Allen

All of which are future stars of NBDL/NBL/NBA if any are good and have vision.

Hows this Aussie Youth Olympics Team

J.Ingles, S.Pendalbury, P.Mills, R.Bathie

Two are making big $$$ 2 are top aussie college players.

Reply #130880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2012 Team??
Mills/Bruce/Markovic
Newley/Ingles
Barlow/Worthington
Kickert/Knight/Maric
Bogut/Schenscher

Others
Martin, Gibson, Dillon, Weigh, Jawai, Hill, Loughton, Iti, Harris, Allen, Nevill...

Giraffe57,
Bathie?? Are you sure?? I am amazed you rate him so highly.

Reply #130897 | Report this post

Giraffe 57  
Years ago

Yeah,
He will kill it and you will have me to thank.... nah i dont know i just know the kid and he seems to eb causing stir over in his conference... damn keyboard

He played VIC, AUS, AUS Youth olympics and now Aus UNI Games.

Pretty good for someone who isnt rated huh....?

Reply #139249 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

If we are talking anything possible, I would go:

PG: Maher, CJ, Bruce
SG: Newley, Black
SF: Cattalini, Mackinnon, Worthington
PF: Neilson, Anderson, Anstey
C: Bogut, Anstey.

Age before beauty anyday if you want our best team on the floor.

Coach (why not): Phil Jackson

Reply #139271 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

XY, you'd put Chris and! Graeme Anstey in your anything possible squad? ;)

Reply #139298 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:49 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754