Brain scan
Years ago

Update on Souths mental game??

Heard a South team of JB, Danny K, Pilkington, Thur, Scanlon and others lost to Woodville (led by Wilson, Birmingham, and Fuller) by 20 Tuesday night. It seems nothing has changed as far as mental side of the game, their players are still getting hooked on opposing teams fishing lines. You would have thought on paper South would have whooped Woodville. Egos and retaliation will always get in the way of winning.

Topic #1121 | Report this topic

Informer  
Years ago

Lets just keep in mind it is Summer season and some teams maybe focusing on implimenting some new plays or a new style of play especially with a new coach. Summer season means Jack Shite! Start judging when the winter season comes around.

Reply #12458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just think that a lot of people on here rate the players for South WAY higher than they deserve. They are not as good as some of the ppl who post on here think.

Reply #12469 | Report this post

formnuda  
Years ago

so informer that hit close to home did it mate!!! even if you are as you say 'implementing' new plays etc, that is no reason to lose to a depleted woodville who obviously outplayed and out hustled you!!!!!! well done to woodville for pushing on with the thin line up they have

Reply #12477 | Report this post

Brain scan  
Years ago

I don't think you can just turn on your mental strength once the main season comes along "informer". Common sense tells me if I am playing for a new coach I would want to impress them and by being mentally weak and giving into the baiting of the other team isn't the way to go about it.

So if you are working on "new things", that would mean all the more reason to have a smile about it when things go wrong, and keep plugging away, rather than turn to the same tired old tactics that you have used for the last few years...

"The definition of a stupid person is someone who does the same thing over and over and expects a different result"

Reply #12478 | Report this post

ok Brain Dead, you are a woodville player I gather, dont get to far ahead of yaself my freind, from all indications your squad is going to be paper thin next year so enjoy your summer league W, because you probably wont get many come winter!

Reply #12479 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

I saw the game and I dont know how you came to the conclusion they mentally weak out of their performance I just though that most of them looked unfit, as do most of the older players this time of year. And really who Gives a rats about South do really need to be adding a new South topic to this website each week?

(Mod : can we keep the language to the locker room thanks gents. We do have young kids use this forum as well.

Reply #12480 | Report this post

checkin  
Years ago

silly season or not it's still disappointing to see a loss,and it would seem things need to be changed
but with only one prodigal team member and anew coach we will have to wait to see if they can,

Reply #12484 | Report this post

Brain scan  
Years ago

Actually I don't play, just heard through the grapevine. You're right, we don't need a new South post, but I think South could take it out with the talent they have. I just think some of their players lack some smarts sometimes, and if they overcome this, they have a very good chance. I actually hope they play well, cos they have been at the wrong end of the ladder for a while now.

Reply #12485 | Report this post

luvthecrest  
Years ago

(Mod: Unnecessary!)

Reply #12487 | Report this post

forrest gump  
Years ago

did luke walsh suit up for panthers?

Reply #12505 | Report this post

Has Been  
Years ago

I hear Walsh will play for woodville this coming season? Since when did this guy become somebody anyway?

Reply #12531 | Report this post

Speed Star  
Years ago

Does that mean that Leon Karvelis will play at woodville aswell? I hear Uni isnt playing this year either and Danny Phillips is going to the flamers. Does anybody want to play for runnerup?

Reply #12664 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Luke is undecided where he is going to play as with Leon and it does look unlikely that Younie is going to play.

Reply #12667 | Report this post

Speed Star  
Years ago

Why wouldnt Younie play? He would be better than those 2 put together wouldnt he? If there is no Phillips and Younie at west this season I think the bearcat women will out score the men.

Reply #12668 | Report this post

ShutUp!!!  
Years ago

Luke & Leon both played for West last week, when they played against South.

Reply #12676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weren't they meant to be the two big names South announced they had recruited!?

Reply #12677 | Report this post

ShutUp!!!  
Years ago

Sorry, that was in Division 2 on Wednesday in case anybody wondered.

Reply #12678 | Report this post

You could probably get a stronger team mentally from Glenside.

As far as walking the walk, those south boys have it in the bag.

I honestly hope that they get it together as they all seem to like the sport a lot.

Reply #12679 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Again we have to wait to the main season to see on the standings of the team. They all have to adjust to the new coach and the new direction the South team ia headed.

Should we write off Sturt or Southern for the results they have incurred over the first few rounds?

Reply #12687 | Report this post

Brain scan  
Years ago

It's not about their results "Rite". The title doesn't say "Update on Souths results". It says mental game. Sturt would be one of the more mentally tough teams in the league simply because of the players they have (excluding Gower). Southern have a couple of younger guys who lose it, but not to the extent that South have previously.

You say they have to adjust to the new coach, but are they doing the same things they have done before?

Like I said before, I hope they work it has been a successful senior program, but on court (and possibly off court) behaviour has contributed to the downfall of the team. You look at the team on paper and they are top 6 easy.

Reply #12691 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

As we are aware, time changes and the players who have performed in the past might not do the same as they have in the past. Each coach has there own unique coaching style and I am sure the coach has implemented a new structure to the playing group. You need a transition period for the players to adapt and this is what the summer season is for.

Southern will develop over time and I am sure the coach has the coaching ability to turn this group into a top 4 side and beyond&??? This year is the telling point for this group. Sturt, well, the reference was only to the results in the summer season as pointed out by the beginning of this thread. This was to show that it is early days yet to decide who is ready to take steps forward or even steps backwards, but not many game left until the new ABL season is upon us&

Reply #12699 | Report this post

Jarrod  
Years ago

Walsh thats heaps funny. Speed Star is right though, I am better than you and Leon put together. Whos "The Brad" How do you know what Im doing?

Reply #12788 | Report this post

checkin  
Years ago

a few game's in now and it would seem
the team is showing it's old traits
"behaviour" being mensioned looks like so far no change,

Reply #13010 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Rite,

What exactly is wrong with Sturt's summer season to this point: they're sitting equal top of the ladder with a 4-1 record (unless you are solely basing your argument on the loss to Centrals in which I am lead to believe they were minus their top 7 players). So, if you are suggesting that they should pack it all in because they lost to Centrals, then I feel you should re-think your argument.

Reply #13012 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Jarrod, The Brad knows everything mate!

Reply #13035 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:26 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754