Isaac
Years ago

Funny NBA Sixth Man: Leandro Barbosa

Leandro Barbosa has received 101 out of 127 first-place votes to be awarded the NBA's Sixth Man award. He averaged 18.1 PPG coming off the bench in 62 of 80 games played for the Phoenix Suns this season.

Manu Ginobili (Spurs) and Jerry Stackhouse (Mavericks) completed the top three.

David Lee (Knicks) failed to get a first-place vote, but nabbed fourth ahead of Kyle Korver (Sixers) and Antonio McDyess.

Other vote getters included Corey Maggette, Luther Head, Chucky Atkins, Matt Harpring, Josh Childress, Chris Duhon, Jose Calderon and JR Smith.

Topic #11212 | Report this topic

twenty four  
Years ago

Nice work. The Brazilian Blur gets best bench player in basketball. (Can you get a ball for alliteration??)

Seriously though, he may be the best chance ever of making an All-Star game as a 6th man if he stays there next year, would love to see that. Don't know if it's happened before?

Reply #130635 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Probably the easiest award to pick this year, along with Roy for ROY.

Interesting question Twenty Four - to my knowledge it hasn't happened before. I don't think I can remember a 6th man being an All Star in recent history, but I'm trying to think back to the 80's & early 90's.

Possibly Ricky Pierce? I seem to remember him making an All-Star team around the very early 90's & he was generally a 6th man?

Reply #130651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Gatling whilst playing in Dallas (97?) was an All-Star and I think he came off the bench

Reply #130652 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Correct! Very good memory.

I think he got traded to New Jersey right around the All-Star break & only played 3 games for them after breaking down with injury.

Reply #130654 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Twenety - Four - did a bit of research and in the last 20 years there have been a few bench guys who have made All Star teams

Kevin McHale - 1990
Ricky Pierce - 1991
Dan Majerle - 1992
Detlef Schrempf - 1993 (moved into starting line up late)
Cliff Robinson - 1994 (moved into starting line up late)
Chris Gatling - 1997
Kobe Bryant - 1998

Going thru I was reminded of some awful All Star - Tyrone Hill, BJ Armstrong, Brad Miller (when he played for Indiana), Theo Ratliff, Anthony Mason, Michael Adams and Dale Davis - ahhh ... injuries, stupid fan selections and the lack of good centres is to blame.

Reply #130656 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

Tyrone Hill was an allstar!!!! wow what year was that?

Reply #130661 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

95 - the same year Dana Baros was an All- Star - just an awful year for basketball

Reply #130663 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

A bit of All-Star game history:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/allstar/

Reply #130672 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Wasn't Ginobili a 6th-man All Star two years ago?

Reply #130703 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

Would just like to add that Barbosa has been so good as sixth man this year he has played himself into the starting 5 towards the end of season. Truly deserved, since starting his average has gone up accordingly and would love to know how many times towards end of season he was top point scorer. I don't think anyone saw that coming in a lineup such as Phoenix has. He has a style that suits the NBA and running teams for sure, in the open court he is just unstoppable, he is Mr elastic and a blurrr going to the basket.

Reply #130706 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Does anyone else think his shot is little strange? Doesn't really snap his wrist at all on release, it's all in the arms. Maybe his weird shot has just been overshadowed by Shawn "I still shoot from my chest" Marion.

I loved Kobe's quote after he scorched the Lakers for 26 in game 1.

"Give him a soccer ball," the Lakers' Kobe Bryant said when asked what could be done to stop Barbosa. "Tell him Brazilians should be playing soccer, not basketball."

Reply #130731 | Report this post

as if david lee got no first place vote. maybe he was injured too much to get recognised.

Reply #130752 | Report this post

CAMPBELL  
Years ago

yep, i agree david lee was putting up good numbers before going down with injury.. lets hope the knicks dont make a shocking trade for a has been or bust coz every team would love a player like david lee.

Reply #130803 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:22 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754