ITA
Years ago

Basketball Analysis

Ok clearly I am clutching at straws by posting this here, but does anyone know of any good time motion analysis studies or notational analysis studies done in Basketball? I know there are plenty in other sports (mostly AFL), I have done searches within some databases but come up short each time, nothing really any good out there it seems. Have to concede and look at footy I think.

Thanks.

Topic #11233 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I think you should explain what a time motion analysis and a notational analysis study is.

The last time I did a time motion analysis it was on a Schooner Pint of beer..........

Reply #130840 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Sorry Sturty,

basically what you are looking at is a breakdown of movement on the court (or field), things like distance covered, percentage of your time spent at different intensities, percentages of time spent in different movement patterns such as walking, jogging, sprinting, running backwards, etc. could possibly add sliding for basketball.

I just assumed people would know what I meant if they knew of any such studies, I was aware there would be some (maybe a lot) that didn't know what I meant, but they probably wouldn't know of any?

Anyway I am yet to come across such a breakdown in basketball, and am looking at it for let's call it a side project. I have a mate who did an honours on time-motion analysis in football a few years back, he chose footy even though he wanted to do basketball, because of the same problem I am finding, there is little research out there for ball... Yes I have spoken to him, and got some good info, but I would like to find any studies (particularly recent) that look specifically at basketball, if anyone knows.

Thanks for your input sturty, hopefully that pint analysis goes well...

Like I said I don't like my chances, but any help towards a couple studies would be appreciated. Cheers.

Reply #130857 | Report this post

jnx  
Years ago

Ita,

Not sure if this is what you after but:

There is an Adelaide based company that developed some devices to measure this. The players wear the devices.

The devices track player movement, distance and speed travelled. They also picked up player heart rates, body temp and lactic acid.

Without going into detail (Not my place to say and I've actually signed a confidentiality agreement) but I know this has been trialled with Basketball teams here. Ithink its targetted at more NBA/NCAA programs but the business is based in Adelaide and lets just say that if you ask if there have been local trials you may get pointed in the right direction.

http://www.citechholdings.com/

Note the owner of the business has an involvement in basketball.

Reply #130861 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

jnx

Thanks.

The kind of product used is really irrelevant to me. Although this is the type of thing I am looking at. Interesting site. The football trackers I saw were different to this.

What I am more concerned with at the moment is a breakdown of basketball using such a device (or other device), as I am more concerned with the time motion data or analysis of the sport itself rather than the product used to find the data. This could be at any level of basketball (the more levels the better).

I will email this company to see if they have any or know of any studies. As I said more interested in the data rather than the product for now anyway.

Do you know of any published data in the area?

Thanks again for your help.

Reply #130868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard second hand that netball have a programme, which may be more adaptable to basketball.

Reply #130892 | Report this post

LIA  
Years ago

maybe check with the company that produces the football data and see what other sprots they cover. Chances are they have other branches that cover other sports. Are you interested in this data for player improvement?

Reply #131103 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Two reasons LIA, firstly personal interest (and yes I coach, and train athletes, so a part of this may go towards looking at how we train of course. We spend a lot of time periodizing our training to what we believe the energy system requirements are, we would be silly not to use such data were it available), and the second reason like I said is a "side project", lets call it research for a paper.

My initial point was that there was a lot of footy data and not a lot of basketball (or any real data for that matter) that I have been able to locate. Hence my reason for asking if anyone knows of any papers, as they don't seem to come up in any search. Thanks, but I have already tried this LIA, and if this company had data on basketball, I can assure you my mates honours would not have been on football time motion and notational analysis.

Thanks.

Reply #131105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ita, from info I been given...

Try the local Adidas company reps. They have a full system computerised (that they sell of these monitors and pc trackers etc), that afaik, The Crows have used and as major sponsors in the USA may be able to get you some basketball data as well.

Reply #131113 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:04 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754