SkyHigh
Years ago

Sixers should sign Newley, Dench and who else??

I hope that the Sixers sign Newley and Dench.. But I hope that they sign some exciting young blood returting from college maybe Conn and Cox? Smyth needs to offer some of the returning college players a trial and Also the standout players still in the Australian leagues

Topic #11240 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll tell you who they SHOULDN'T sign.. Copeland!

Reply #130903 | Report this post

JJ Red  
Years ago

Sign Pero Vasiljevic, Matt Burston and Eric Burdon

Reply #130911 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

NO!

Reply #130913 | Report this post

Years ago

Pero wouldnt do well here, he didnt even do well in Singapore.

Reply #130915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pero Vasiljevic, Matt Burston and Eric Burdon..

some ok names but aren't they're not old enough for the Sixers? Then again, Matt Burston does have a history of injury so i guess he's a chance!

Reply #130918 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Well, if those 2 signing become a reality we have

Import / Cooper
Ballinger / Dench
Newley / Copeland
Maher / Ng
Davidson / Sutton

So, it would be a Import Centre we would be after.
I dont think they would even look at signing that import until after the NBA draft. If Newley goes it would then leave us with a bigger gap at SF than it would in the centre role.

Reply #130920 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Go for Conn. I believe they've shown some interest, but might come down to what opportunities they have. Here's what I'd try:

Maher/Davidson/Sutton (11th)
Newley/Ng
Import/Copeland
Ballinger/Conn
Cooper/Dench

And if Newley goes, Davidson starts and Maher moves to SG.

They will go for a SF import rather than a C, I think.

Reply #130921 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im of the belief that a major reason of the Davidson signing was to allow Maher to move to the shooting role.
I think Davidson would be more than capable in that starting role.

Reply #130922 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I know Nash was contracted for one more year, but has he been retained or was he shown the door?

Reply #130923 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I have heard he will not be a Sixer next year. May still play elsewhere though.

Reply #130924 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

On the money there Isaac .
An strong athletic 3 man to create his own shots , crash the boards and generally bring some excitement would be perfect .
A Carlos Powell type without the dramas .

Reply #130927 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And without costing $250k.

Reply #130942 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

We were one of the worst defensive teams in the league last season, and we were weakest at the 3 spot, compounded by the fact that there were some outstanding offensive 3 men in the league last season like Powell, Cattalini, Mackinnon etc.

So we should be concentrating on getting an import 3 man in the mould of Dave Thomas, ie a great defensive player who can rebound, handle the ball etc. Obviously that is easier said than done but i'd much rather an import 3 man than an import centre. Decent import centres are far too expensive for the NBL as they are highly sought players throughout the world. Take Burgess for example.

Plus a Maher, Davidson backcourt is awfully small. I know Brisbane ran a small backcourt last season with CJ and Black but we won't have the defensive weaponry coming off the bench like the Bullets.

Reply #130946 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

How good is Conn? A 10ppg player?

I'm guessing that he would be a 1 point player in the cap?

If they signed Conn it could really help the Sixers with being a backup PF letting Dench play back-up C. We could have an Import SF. It would be abit of insurance for the Sixers if Newley got drafted.

Maher/Davidson/Sutton
Newley/Ng
Import/Copeland
Ballinger/Conn
Cooper/Dench

If Newley gets drafted:

Davidson/Sutton
Maher/Ng
Import/Copeland
Ballinger/Conn
Cooper/Dench

and if Newley goes we could look to europe for a ten point Australian who is willing to pay for $200k assuming that's how much the Sixers have offered Newley.

Reply #130965 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Will definitely need to pursue a SF with the vacant import spot. Perhaps a player like Kingma would be a good option to give added depth at the 4/5 spot.

Reply #130978 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

That would be if Newley left.

Reply #130983 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

How would it be annoounced if Newley decideds the Sixers? Press conference quickly setup? Or will we not find out today even if he chooses?

Reply #130985 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul Bauer would send me a press release and I'd put it up on the 36ers site and then here.

Reply #130989 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I wouldnt expect any announcement today.

Reply #130991 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

123abc you need to stop believing everything you read.

Oh and:

re: Blaze sign Casey Frank
Almost all of the quality big men are signed.

Adelaide won't be anouncing anything on thurday or friday so Adelaide are yet to sign many players.

Posted by 123abc

Going by what you say I guess we'll have to wait until Monday.

Reply #130992 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

wouldnt be surprised if there is a press conference/announcement tomorrow (friday).

Reply #130993 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Even if Newls signed today, wouldn't we have to wait for NBL ratification before it's announced?
Or have I been on OzHoops too long? :(

Reply #130999 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Isn't Bauer having today and friday off?

Reply #131001 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

DDFan - I have seen many announcements in the last month that have said "Joe Blogs has been signed pending NBL ratification"
So I think we would know pretty soon. Most likely tomorrow by the sound of it.

Reply #131003 | Report this post

Is this a case of "no news is good news' or the longer we have to wait for him to announce his decision the more likely it will be that he is going to the Tigers?

Reply #131004 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not necessarily so Jimmy - still not going to be surprised either way. That he's considering Melbourne at all shows they're a strong possibility, but Adelaide have seemed a bit more up-beat recently.

Reply #131005 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I doubt Adelaide can pull it off.

Reply #131006 | Report this post

I am not sure what you can say on the subject but what way are you leaning Isaac?

"but Adelaide have seemed a bit more up-beat recently." Are you subliminally trying to give us a hint?

Reply #131009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

123abc, shut up, 'Isn't Bauer having today and friday off?'- whats makes you say that?

Reply #131011 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Are you back on the stalking again sixers33?

Should we warn Potsie?

Reply #131020 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jimmy, I dare say that Dicko's answered that since.

Reply #131026 | Report this post

LOL - he he...yes he has.

Reply #131038 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

shut up Skip, that's not funny.

Isaac this is alittle over the top!

Reply #131053 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

123 - less verbal diarrhea and you'll have fewer problems. It was just a joke.

Reply #131062 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

1 to skip 0 to 123abc

love it

Reply #131092 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I don't want to fight, i just want to read, contribute put in my opinion. That's all. I'd rather be ignored than attacked. I have nothing against any of you, and Isaac my postings aren't that bad. I had problems when you posted about me.

Can you please stop it?
Be Australian, be civil.

Reply #131108 | Report this post

JJ Red  
Years ago

Yeah Conn would be an excellent pick up for any NBL team i reckon he could average around 15 points was an excellent shooter in the NBL and a great rebounder and blocker

Reply #131172 | Report this post

SkyHigh  
Years ago

From what i have heard bout Simon Conn he is the equal of Alex Loughton...

Reply #131174 | Report this post

CCK  
Years ago

Here is a player that the 36ers should recruit Carmie Olowoyo an exciting young player, great skills and he also lights up the floor. Carmie Olowoyo and Simon Conn should be put towards to 36ers board they are serious players of the future. Isaac you should inform the 36ers...

Reply #131177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Olowoyo a development player of the West Sydney Razorbacks a few years ago?

Reply #131368 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

^ Above Post mine.

Edit: Yes he did, http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/537/

Reply #131370 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Link

6cm!!!!! LOL!

Link

Reply #131372 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:32 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754