Isaac
Years ago

Newley signs with 36ers for three years

Newley, who has spent the past three NBL seasons in Townsville, is eager to return to his hometown and help rebuild the new 36ers franchise.

Newley has agreed to a three year deal (two years plus an option year) and will line up in the back court with 36ers captain, Brett Maher.
Full story

Topic #11261 | Report this topic

Years ago

you had to post it the exact time i did, lol haha, gooo sixers, whats the lineup now

Reply #131150 | Report this post

Years ago

Great work sixers

Reply #131151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So im guessing they will leave the 2nd import spot open in case he gets a run O/S?

Reply #131154 | Report this post

Years ago

probably, but who is our starting SF is Newley who is our starting SG? , or are they puting brett in SG and Davidson PG, Newley SF, Ballinger PF, cooper C??????

Reply #131156 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

OK so now it's confirmed, how about we give credit where credit is due. We've just snapped up the most sought after free agent in the league and he's a local boy. Mal has stuck to his word when he said he was going to focus on local talent and he's come through with the goods.

We've also grabbed Ballinger and Davidson who both could have secured spots on rival rosters. Good recruiting so far Sixers.

Three cheers for Mal!

Hip hip...

Reply #131158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#131156: Dench?

Reply #131162 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

HOORAY!!!!

Reply #131163 | Report this post

Priceless ! Well done .

Reply #131166 | Report this post

My friend, Sixers33/123abc knew it first, apparently, even before Brad.

Reply #131170 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Anything about Axel Dench???

Reply #131171 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

Ball for "123abc is my friend" please. Gold.

Reply #131173 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

This is awesome news. We now have my 2 favourite players in Newley and Maher - excited about the sixers again.

Side note - the Luke Schensher talks all but over?

Reply #131176 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Dench is in.....probably just spreading the press conferences and gaining some more media.

Reply #131179 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I'd say both Newley and Dench deserve seperate press conferences, especially Newley as he is the best SA player, other than Maher, we have signed in a long time and is bound to excite the fans!!
What do people think, will Newley be in uniform for us next year?? i say yes, all this NBA talk is similar to last year and with other guys in the past like a young Mackinnon for example, i dont expect Newley to be in the NBA personally, but best of luck to him if he gets there, he is one hell of a player but the NBA is a tough gig to get and Newley wouldnt really be seen as a specific role player either. From the thing i saw on the news with him the other night it doesnt sound as if he is overly interested in Europe so i actually reckon he will be a 36er next season, which is great news for us, and if we can add a quality 2nd import with what we have i reckon we should be able to give the title a shot! Well done to Mal Hemmerling, Phil Smyth and Paul Bauer and the whole club on a great pick up!!

Reply #131182 | Report this post

Squid Lips  
Years ago

Great signing. Where does this leave Darren Ng? Unfortunately for him i think minutes will be few and far between.

Reply #131183 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Say he doesnt get picked up in the Draft. What avenues does he have for the NBA then or is he then likely to play with us?

Reply #131184 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Davidson please report to Phils Bench until further notice.
Newley has arraived.

Reply #131186 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

this is the best recurity news in Years! Well done Mal!

Reply #131189 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

hmm do i remember reading that Newley would never play under phil?

Congrats to Phil and the management, lets hope that the young man can live up to the expectations that are being thrust upon him.

Reply #131197 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Newley signing with the sixers: best news ive heard all day!

Hooray!

Reply #131198 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Is this the 36ers roster only 1 import(including the un anounced signings of Dench and Copeland) away from being complete??? or are we going to go with 11 and use the remaining points i think someone worked out we have 2 points left to sign a back up PF??? could we get Simon Conn for 2 points?? considering he has never played NBL before and has played more than a full year of ABA in Victoria i dont think he could be rated too highly so we may have a chance, i reckon it would be something definatly looking into

Reply #131199 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

THANK GDO!!!

Reply #131205 | Report this post

Remember he did nothing at townsville anyway, with good players next to him!

Tiger still team to beat next season! dont get excited about dench the guy was useless anyway

Adelaide to finish 5th-8th next season

Reply #131224 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

stop suffercating me with you negativity!!!!!!!!!!!!! gosh

Reply #131231 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Tigers 2008 Champs,
I'll bet your tune would be different had the Tigers got his signature.

Reply #131235 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Tigers 2008 Champs,

5th to 8th you say? Well I'll take that over 11th any day...

Reply #131236 | Report this post

honestly i felt having him wouldnt fit! tigers really should be pushing for a import centre instead of another sg, sf! allow anstey to play pf that way he can shoot as many 3pt shots as he wants! you would struggle giving court time between barlow, thomas, corletto, stephen hoare and tommy greer

Reply #131239 | Report this post

Alan Shaw  
Years ago

In my opinion, Dench is needed.

PG - Davidson/Sutton
SG - Maher/Ng
SF - Newley/Copeland
PF - Ballinger/??????
C - DENCH/Cooper

Maybe enough cash for a cheapish import left?

Reply #131244 | Report this post

dinozzo  
Years ago

From watching Newley last year, I say he will play NBL next year, as his game didnt improve that much, which was needed for him to get drafted. He always relied on his 3pt shot first before getting to the rim and on a number of occassions got himself into trouble and turned it over.

This is a good get for the sixers a proven scorer which will help there playoff chances.

Reply #131246 | Report this post

kdog  
Years ago

Very happy with this signing!

Going to be an anxious wait til the NBA draft though.

Reply #131254 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I was originaly think we would be better going after an Import Centre, but everyone else has shot me down saying a small forward type is what we are after.

Brian Wethers anyone? Proven scorer, former mvp and I think a pretty nice guy.

C - Cooper / Dench
PF - Ballinger / Conn?? Dodman??
SF - Wethers / Copeland
SG - Newley / Ng /
PG - Maher / Davidson / Sutton

Of the known free agents, he would be my pick.

Reply #131262 | Report this post

Years ago

if they did that i would move newley to SF and Wethers to SG

Reply #131263 | Report this post

Sawmeinfhalf  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me when the NBA Draft is?

We definitely need a quality SF when you consider our only other option is Copeland. Whethers would be a great and proven addition to this list. Newley played SG at the Crocs didn't he?

Reply #131264 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

newley was interviewed tonight on 5aa and when the question was asked about the NBA he said his stocks he felt had rising but at best hes a 50% chance and thats was being optermistic, he feels unless something dramatic happens pre draft this year may not be his year,

By the Way allthough DICKO doubters where are you now ??

Reply #131265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the draft is on the 28th of June

Reply #131268 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

No Europe outclause???

Reply #131269 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

think he said he would rather get NBL playing time than rot at the end of a euro bench.

Reply #131277 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I like skips team of

C - Cooper / Dench
PF - Ballinger / Conn?? Dodman??
SF - Wethers / Copeland
SG - Newley / Ng /
PG - Maher / Davidson / Sutton

Id like the 36ers to look for a import in the Dave Thomas mould personally but if they want a proven player Wethers, (im pretty sure they almost signed him a few years back when it looked like Farley was going to leave) would be one of the best available and i dont think he is a 10 point import which gives us more room to sign someone like a Simon Conn, who at tops i would say would be a 3. and then i would leave Dodman in the development spot to suit up home games and fill in for injuries. I say that team stacks up with any on paper so exciting times ahead i think!!

Reply #131283 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

I'm not a huge fan of people wanting us to sign weathers. He really wasn't a deserving MVP and watching him play for the Breakers last year, his shot selection isn't too impressive. He also doesn't provide much else apart from his scoring and I fail to see how he is an upgrade on Farley? Would prefer to see some new blood at the 2nd import spot.

Reply #131286 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I just noticed Andrew Rice is only worth a 2, would he be worth a look at for the back up PF spot??? i reckon he would be a ok pick up aslong as he is on the cheap side, my preference probably would be to give Simon Conn a shot though as a young guy like him is always exciting to see come into the league and he seems to be rated highly by many on some of the forums

Reply #131287 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Just a question - why is it when we cant get players it's Phil's fault, but when we sign someone of Newley's calibre it's "well done Mal"...haven't seen any of the Smyth haters come and acknowledge this is a good, and valuable, signing.

Reply #131367 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Hey Yogee, welcome back. Where ya been - Phil has missed you ;)

Reply #131371 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Newley finally a Sixer

NEW Adelaide 36er Brad Newley wants to assure fans he will don the club's colours at some stage, but even he isn't sure when that will be.

Bauer also confirmed another prospective signing, former Melbourne Tigers and Wollongong Hawks centre Axel Dench, was close to putting pen to paper.

"It's not quite official just yet, but it's pretty much over the line,"he said.

Link: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21634095-5006371,00.html

Reply #131374 | Report this post

Eddie #55  
Years ago

Where do you actually find the points value under the salary cap for each player?

Reply #131380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yogee because he was going to go to melbourne instead but mal spent up to get him. any comment??

Reply #131381 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Here's the link: http://www.nbl.com.au/_content/document/00000122-src.htm

Reply #131408 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:40 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754