thedoctor
Years ago

NBA report: Racial Refereeing?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2857469

Have a look at this article. Suggests that white refs call more fouls on black players and vice-versa (in real terms). Is this another pointless article looking for racism where none exists?

What is the result for Jason Kidd and Mike Bibby? Do they get whistled less by all refs, or more by all refs?

Topic #11340 | Report this topic

Hangin Round  
Years ago

I feel for Manute Bol. Perhaps John Howard & George W Bush should apologise to him and his team

Reply #132207 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

I knew that I was being discriminated against all this time. I thought it was because I was too tall and made the opposition look silly after I continually spiked their soft attempts into the crowd.

I demand an apology George W!

Reply #132217 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBA has said that the report is wrong and that there is no racial bias in their refereeing (duh).

The report only used boxscores and not data on which of the three rostered referees made each call.

The NBA says that its most recent report used data that included the caller of the foul and that their information showed no racial bias. Buuuut...

The Times said the NBA denied a request by Wolfers and Price to obtain that information, citing its confidentiality agreement with the officials.
...they don't want to give up that data.

I tried an online study a few months ago which used word and concept association alongside characterised faces of black and white faces. It mixed up all of these combinations and even showed black faces with typical white features and vice versa. I consider myself more tolerant and less biased than the average person, but my results showed that I had a slight inclination towards associating positive concepts with white features, and negative concepts with black features.

I'd say that there's a strong chance that no matter their good intentions and character, that there could well be a very slight racial bias shown by referees.

Reply #132238 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

whats next? gonna bloody compare this to the slavery saying the blacks deserve a fair chance. ffs idiots think there is racism everywhere

Reply #132264 | Report this post

wateva  
Years ago

Just a question but what is the percentage of white players to black players and does that percentage negate the difference between fouls on black or white players

Reply #132431 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:16 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754