Isaac
Years ago

Ninnis to meet Dragons in court

Rather than meeting them on court, Scott Ninnis plans on meeting the South Dragons in court.

He was cut one year into a fixed two year contract as assistant coach, given four weeks notice (that also served as a paltry four weeks severance) and had no opportunity to negotiate the termination.

"In hindsight I had an offer to stay in Townsville and perhaps a couple of players I brought to the Dragons I could have brought up to Townsville," Ninnis said.

"I played a major part in putting the Dragons together as far as recruitment and getting players like Joe Ingles, Jacob Holmes and Matt Burston and a bunch of other guys.

"I ran their whole pre-season and had a fairly major influence . . . it seems like my use dried up.

"Mark Cowan always talks about establishing a culture within the South Dragons and from where I sit, he's certainly done that."
Read more at Adelaide Now

Often, this sort of contract dispute will see a settlement negotiated short of the full payment, but in this case (given the lack of opportunity to negotiate), Ninnis is seeking the full amount.

Good luck Scott.

Please when the Dragons first play in Adelaide this season can we have the Kurt Angle theme to incite a little crowd chant for Mark Cowan and everyone's favourite little peroxide?

Topic #11348 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

BRING BACK THE ANGLE MUSIC!!!! :-)

Good luck to Scotty, but will this hinder his chances at getting a gig elsewhere? Is he assistant, or any other role with any club yet?

Surely he wont just be watching from the sidelines this coming season, he is a valuable asset to any club!

Reply #132303 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Shouldnt cause any issues with future coaching jobs. The NBL is a 'small' league, the other teams would understand how the Dragons have acted and if anything, will be impressed with Ninnis standing up for his rights. Goodluck getting what you deserve Scotty!

Reply #132304 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Who will replace Brooks when, as expected, he signs with the Hawks? Surely Scott is a walkup for the job.

Reply #132307 | Report this post

madgame  
Years ago

Good luck Scotty hope it works out for you.Still think Scott has a long way to go before he is a sort after assistant coach he left Adelaide went to Townsville who then had there worst result after replacing only 1 main player then went onto the Dragons claiming to of assembled a team that Shane Heal claims he recruited with Cowan or perhaps it was Cowans money that got a few players there.Some of the players were definately recruited by big offers i speak to Jacob a lot and he made no secret money was his reason for going.I wish Scott all the best he is a great guy but that doesnt make him a good assistant coach and he certainly is many years away from having the knowledge to be a head coach certainly we wouldnt sign him just because he is a good guy

Reply #132311 | Report this post

Sir Charles  
Years ago

Madgame,
I have to totally disagree with you.
How is it Ninnis doesn't have the knowledge to be a Head Coach, he has been in the league many years as a player and assistant and has played under many different head coaches and in different programs, this is where most people get their knowledge for the game.
Had Scott stayed in Adelaide under Smyth i would have agreed that he wasn't ready because he had only worked under one coach, but since then he worked with Ian Stacker, who love him or hate him he is a great basketball brain, and worked along side Guy Molloy who may not be the best game coach but technically you cant fault him.
Scott is ready and just needs a chance, i do agree though that the longer he sits out of a coaching role the harder it will be to get back in.

Reply #132319 | Report this post

knackers  
Years ago

None is suggesting he gets signed just because he is a good guy, that makes sbout as much sense as most of your post.
When did Heal ever claim he recruited the team? He did not take over until 5 games in and most of the time I heard the little twerp speak it was bemoaning the fact he didn't have a chance to select his players or have the preseason he wanted.

Reply #132321 | Report this post

madgame  
Years ago

So i have stirred a few of his mates be real Stacker has won 1 championship Molloy none and he couldnt get the nod ahead of Molloy who was sacked as a head coach so where does that rank Scott please be real Heal was involved in recruiting players to the Dragons.Perhaps he is not the perfect role model either certainly his commitment as aplayer could be questioned in his first year under Smyth he was warned about his drinking after games then again his first year as assistant.Yea great model for headcoach his business ventures were successful not.He is a great guy but lazy just ask around if he was that good why did Dragons let him go.

Reply #132399 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

What NBL championship team has stacker won as head coach?? Stacker is overated.

He has always had quality sides and never won a championship as headcoach. Best for him to coach junior men

Reply #132411 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Pay the man.

Say what you mean and
do what you say.

obviously this is not in the the Dragons new culture.

Reply #132413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ninnis said he did the pre-season. Did the dragons start well?????

Reply #132424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Dragons pre-season was very disjointed because a certain star blonde haired recruit had it written into his contract that he only had to spend 3 nights a week in Melbourne during the pre-season.
Couple that with Prices import pairing of Fuller and Anderson not being up to scratch and then Heals mystery injury and you can see why they started 0-5.
And Madgame, that is the most full of shit post I have read on here, be very careful about some of your allegations.

Reply #132428 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, but they started to improve as soon as they got rid of Price and Fuller - head coach and import might have a bigger part of those results. I wouldn't mind starting 0-5 if I could get the ROTY.

Reply #132429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgame I would be very careful if I was you.
Ninnis is in a suing mood and you may have overstepped the mark...

Reply #132452 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

madgaqme : is that you Hammer?

Reply #132470 | Report this post

Hustler  
Years ago

Why not get Paul Bauer to negotiate for behalf of Ninnis. This gem about why they signed Lenard Copeland again from the tiser -

"Everyone questions his age but the most important thing Lanard will bring is his leadership and getting people to gel off the court," Bauer said.

"It's just the way he is in the locker room and the way he brings people together. And it's going to be important this season with at least four or five new players coming in.

"That's the main reason why we're keeping him on board."

Why not hire a clown at the end of each game to keep everyone happy in the changerooms, or get a monkey for a mascot to have run around the changeroom... Great reason to keep and PAY someone, cos they are good in the changeroom.

Reply #132575 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

hustler , stick to your game a$$clown .
I thought Paul spoke very well and as for having someone with good locker room spirit , team morale and unity is PARAMOUNT to winning championships .
If we exceed expectations next season and push deep into the playoffs then Lanard and his experience will be invaluable and may just push us over the line .
I am sure that is what management are thinking . If we can have him in adelaide for the next ten years in coaching , promotion etc then SA hoops will be all the better for it .

Reply #132583 | Report this post

soapbox  
Years ago

Have seen Ninnis at the dome a few times now meeting with Bauer perhaps the 2 are workung together to get him the Head coaching job behind the scenes.Bauer and Ninnis are good mates so the fact that he isnt good enough may not matter.Be careful Mal this would show we are going backwards and that you and Phil with all your talk about establishing a loyal and successful culture couldnt be further from the truth

Reply #132804 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I think we will see Ninnis take on the role of Technical Coach that was advertised a few weeks back.

Reply #132805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow soapbox, you came to that conspiracy theory just because you saw two people meeting a couple of times!
What a vivid imagination!

Reply #132810 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:27 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754