123abc
Years ago

Lanard set to re-sign with Sixers

ADELAIDE veteran Lanard Copeland has agreed to extend his glittering career for one more season.

With Copeland bedded down, Adelaide has just two places to fill - an import and a development player - on its 12-man roster for 2007/08.

The import is almost certainly to come from the U.S. but that is the only thing likely to be known about the mystery man.

"We want someone here that no-one has heard about, to generate more excitement," Bauer said.

Read More: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21662266-5006371,00.html

Topic #11349 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No surprises with Copeland signing..

we did need to boost our average age considering we lost Timmons and Wheeler from last year's squad!

Reply #132317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bingo

I think this would be a good signing for one more year. He did have a pretty good season last year. As long as he is playing 10 minutes a game and not 25 minutes a game I'm happy. It should be 5 mins here and if he is playing well continue for another 5 minutes and some possible minutes in the second half. If he plays shit thatn 5 mins is all he gets.

Reply #132320 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Just out of curiousity, who was the oldest player to play NBL?

Reply #132322 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I think Leroy (and correct me if I am wrong) played till he was 44.

Seriously I am going to start a tally from now about sixer being old jokes - I think we can get to 30 by the end of the month

Reply #132325 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I'm not overly wowed by this re-signing. I just he is used further down in the rotation and like #132320 said, keep him going if he's playing well.

Reply #132327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac.....is this the supposed back-up PF that you mentioned in a previous post we would hear the signing of earlier??

Reply #132328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac.....is this the supposed back-up PF that you mentioned in a previous post we would hear the signing of earlier??

Reply #132329 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pretty sure that Lanard is not a power forward!

I reckon they still have one signing to make that will replace Nashy, and they'll run with Sutton as 11th man.

Maher/Davidson/Sutton
Newley/Ng
Import/Copeland
Ballinger/PF
Cooper/Dench

I don't know that I'd be expecting a second import in a hurry. Obviously they'd be looking, but it might be smart to hold off for a while.

Reply #132331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know he is not a Power Forward thats why I was curious if this was the signing you were talking about, obviously not then!! So I take it that the PF is to be the Development Player........fingers crossed it's Simon Conn?!?!?!

Reply #132333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My predictions for this season:

Copeland will average..
30 minutes
15 shots a game (at about 20%)

Ballinger will average.. (like Horvath)
only 10 shots a game (at about 90%)

Sutton and Ng will average.. (like Hill)
10 minutes between them

Good one Phil!

Reply #132335 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't believe it would be Conn. And I don't think it would necessarily be a development spot (could be - we'll see). I reckon they just haven't put it on the horizon because it would pre-empt a formal decision re Nash.

I think Smyth likes the idea of flexibility and options and could run with Sutton or another PF in the squad depending on the opposition?

Otherwise, if an import SF isn't all that big, and one of the three bigs gets injured or in foul trouble, we'll get beaten handily inside. e.g., imagine Coops going down or getting three fouls in the first quarter - how would you stop the Tigers running Anstey, Stiff and Hoare at you? They're all pretty sizable and mobile.

Reply #132336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac.......I think a formal decision regarding Nash has already been made as he can no longer fit in under the points system. Nash is rated a 4, Sixers only have 2 points left! If they Relegate Sutton back to 11th man and thus a development spot does his 1 point rating become void, leaving us with 3 points left under the cap?

Reply #132345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Suttons 1 point rating becomes void if he becomes our 11th man then Id say we are looking at a returning college player??

Reply #132348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What sort of time frame are we looking at for this announcement Isaac???

Reply #132349 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't know - just be patient. They've got the bulk of the roster done. The second import needn't be rushed, and anything else like a development spot or final position isn't crucial.

Reply #132351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

newley wont play so that spot will be free and sutton will become no 10

Reply #132352 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Pffft......posted this a month ago.

Doubters.....BE GONE !!!!!!

Reply #132357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crapola to Copeland signing. Could have made better and fresher use of this spot.

Reply #132359 | Report this post

Anono  
Years ago

I think you will find that the 36ers roster is now done. Yes there may be a development spot etc but no major additions.

There will be no second import signed unless Newley goes US or Europe.

This group, even with Newley should be good enough for bottom 4. Yippee!!! Cant wait to give my tickets away again.

Reply #132360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we are going to be terrible again. I don't think that that team is any better than last years...actaully i think it might be worse.

Reply #132375 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think it will all come down to the 6 - 8 weeks "gelling" time.

Reply #132376 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Anono I will take your tickets

Reply #132385 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

132375, I don't think they're a lock to contend for the title, but I do think it's an improvement should Newley play.

Swap Wheeler for Dench - potential upgrade given that Wheeler didn't play much.

Swap Majstro for an import - big upgrade.

Swap Farley for Newley - some might disagree, but it's a definite upgrade.

Swap Horvath for Ballinger - fairly even in some respects, but certainly not a step down, just a step across (with more upside).

Swap Hill for Davidson - not all might agree again, but it's an upgrade for what they need.

Swap Nash for whoever - will have to see.

If Newley goes, then it depends entirely on what they can sign as a replacement.

Reply #132386 | Report this post

JW  
Years ago

How can you say this team will be worse? Back up that claim. Break it down into positions if you have to.

Reply #132387 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Very disapointing the last couple of negative posts here, this (IMO) will be significantly better side than last year especially if Newley plays, if not..well, i still think we are in a better place than last year.

Reply #132388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you have got to wonder how much
time darren ng will get . now too many
a like guard type players .where are the
quality forwards ?

Reply #132389 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Quality forwards? Ballinger plus another import!

The club coaxed Ng back from the brink of signing with Singapore so you'd like to think they plan on using him - he was pretty useful last year so I think he'll be fine.

Reply #132391 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Good to see Zac Millbank has done his research again.

He writes

"The 41-year-old, who has logged 444 NBL games in 16 seasons, is set to put pen to paper as the Sixers' squad continues to take shape."

Strange that he played his 500th game last season then.
I think Zac has quickly just looked at the regularr season stats (not including playoffs) on NBL.com.au which shows he has played 444 games.

For the record, he has played 503 games.

Reply #132395 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea judging from the article they will be looking for a Dave Thomas like new import, a back up PF and Jordan Dodman will be in the 12 man squad, with either the new PF or someone like maybe a Sutton being the 11th man. Which looks great to me and we will be looking something like this
C Cooper/Dench
PF Ballinger/???/Dodman
SF ??Import/Copeland
SG Newley/Ng
PG Maher/Davidson/Sutton

I'd say the import is the main signing as the back up PF probably wont play big minutes, so if we get the right import we should be pretty good!! and we have a well balanced team IMO, well done to the coaches/management on the signings so far!!

Reply #132407 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I would have thought the Sixers would have been looking for a starting PG instead of Davidson (not that he's an awful pickup) to we could move Maher back to his natural SG spot.

Reply #132414 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

C Cooper/Dench
F Ballinger/Rice
F Import/Copeland
G Newley/Ng
G Maher/Davidson/Sutton

Dev. Spots
12. F Dodman
13. F Conn

That would be a good team and Conn could play a few minutes and be valuable.

Reply #132415 | Report this post

Dunno a lot  
Years ago

Who is this Conn bloke?

Reply #132561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can only have 10 players + two development players for home games.

Reply #132573 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

and....???

Reply #132817 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:38 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754