Isaac
Years ago

Marbury to LeBron: Own or be owned

This news is a month old but it's about time the $14.95 Starburys got another mention on here.

Most NBA followers would know that New York Knick Stephon Marbury endorses a line of $15 Starbury shoes through Steve and Barry (evidently a brand in the US).

The concept is that it gives kids, unwavered by big brands or without the money to spend, a chance to own a pair of NBA-athlete-endorsed shoes. (Marbury gets a little cut himself from every sale.)

Back at the end of March, self-proclaimed global megabrand LeBron James and his US$150 shoes came up against the Knicks and a pair of $15 Starburys. On game night, a Newsday reporter asked LeBron about it all. Could LeBron see himself endorsing such a cheap and accessible sneaker?

"No, I don't think so," James said. "Me being with Nike, we hold our standards high."
Note that LeBron apparently grew up in poverty, but seems to have forgotten his past now that Nike (and others) are pulling the strings on his wallet.

Marbury was asked to comment on James' reaction and, after a pause, responded.
"I'd rather own than be owned."
Nice.

Topic #11363 | Report this topic

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

CLASSIC!....way to go Marbury!

Reply #132498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lebron has turned into a real big head recently imo.

Reply #132499 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I completely agree. Seems to be all about endorsements and personal branding - a real shame.

Reply #132502 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

AH HA HA... OWNED!

Reply #132506 | Report this post

Nikes are like the worst shoe. They fall apart about a month after you get them...

Its a shame Lebron has turned into such a moneymonger. The NBA really needs a role model, and he keeps talking his way out of it

Reply #132517 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

Dirk Nowitzki for NBA Role Model

Reply #132527 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perhaps Dwyane Wade? Has a fairly wholesome brand?

Kevin Garnett? Tim Duncan before Joey Crawford wanted to fight him?

Any other potentials?

Reply #132528 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Ray Allen back in his Milwaukee days, he's a bit hidden away now up in Seattle, not quite as high profile as he used to be, but he seems to be pretty clean cut individual.

Reply #132531 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

Chris Paul anyone??

Reply #132535 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I fail to see what Lebron has done here that is so wrong?

Sure he may have grown up in poverty - but why should that stop him from earning as much coin as he can from whoever wants to pay him. Just because he grew up poor does that mean he has to knock back big $ offers that come his way?
He has a contract with Nike - so of course he is going to talk them up over other shoe brands.

In saying that it was a superb comeback from Marbury!

Reply #132540 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

Big Ron Arrtest for President.

Reply #132542 | Report this post

Magic Man  
Years ago

#517, no, I've had mine for over a year each time. The only reason i stopped wearing Nikes, (i still wear a pair of Air Flight Bangers some times) are because i grew of them and i like the DWade mids from Converse.

Reply #132546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shaq has a pair as well charging bout $20 from stores such as walmart and payless shoes good on both of them for catering to the people whose kids still look up to these guys and whose parents cant afford to fork out $150 for lebrons!

Reply #132550 | Report this post

Professor  
Years ago

MOst of you people are idiots. I read through all these posts and everyone just wants to hate on people. Whats wrong with wanting to make money and what do you people really even know about Lebron and if he is a big head or not. You read stupid posts like this and think you know what he is about. Plus I am sure Lebron is actually just being smart and endsorsing his employers product the way they would expect it to be and we all know Nike are not going to bring out a $15 range of shoes. So all you idiots who just want to rag on people why dont you think about what you are saying before you actually say it and maybe even put yourself in there position. Its funny how the people writing this stuff are probably making $40K a year in a dead end job playing social baketball are telling mega rich mega talented people how they should act or what they should do.I think these stars got there for a reason and maybe we should give them some credit for actually knowing what they are doing

Reply #132552 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

So how well do you know LeBron, Professor? Why don't you enlighten us as to what he's all about.
Congratulations - you've missed the point entirely.

Reply #132555 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Professor you've just proved yourslef to be the biggest hater of them all.

As for Nikes, I have found them to be the best basketball shoes on the market. I went through a phase when I tried to play in And 1, Cons, Reeboks and Adidas and Nike wins, hands down.

And I think Lebron has far too bigger head these days also. Seems as soon as he stepped into the NBA he was all about himself. Don't rate that at all.

Role model - maybe Tmac? And you can't do much better than Steve Nash or Amare either IMO

Reply #132565 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Some worthy points Lockstock , nice work .

Tmac though , ney . Self indulgent sook .
Amare ??

True role models ?

Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Manu Ginobili
Chris Paul
Dikembe Mutumbo

To me a true role model is somebody that if you delve into their off court activities you are inspired by what they have chosen to offer the community .
They may not even chose to publicise their goodwill so you may uncover some surprising efforts and framework , they go about their work with integrity , ethics and a quiet satisfaction .

Reply #132572 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

Shane Battier?

Not a star by any stretch, but have never heard a bad or controversial word about him

Reply #132584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Posted by eastern lowland gorilla
"Nikes are like the worst shoe. They fall apart about a month after you get them..."

uhh yeh ok, and i doubt anyone would complain if their $200 nike kix "fell apart about a month after you get them"
Id|ot

Reply #132603 | Report this post

Professor  
Years ago

TP YOU MISSED the point, I am not judging him at all or claiming that I know him. All I am saying is alot of people are quick to judge and probably should think before they say stupid stuff. And lockstcok the only people I hate is goorjian and people who write stupid un educated things on this site. ANd my reason for hating goorjain are through first hand accounts. Lockstock I know who you are so I cant call you an idiot coz I know your not, but TP you are a first class idiot and have nothing worth saying at all, and I did notice after I posted that Isac said some of the things that I took offence to and I also know he is not an idiot so we will have to just agree to disagree with him. Anyway no one has argued what I said anyway so if you do have a good argument other than whatever let me know

Reply #132616 | Report this post

what about those gay comments he made. the comments he wants to be the richest sportsperson in the world when his team was struggling. Do any other stars talk like this? it's not about the money, its about him being the most arrogant person in the NBA when really he's done nothing yet.

Reply #132634 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Unlike 123abc and LeBron, we can't all be global icons...

Reply #132685 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Professor, I love the irony of you spelling uneducated as two words.

Reply #132713 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754