ritz
Years ago

Herald-Sun on Horvath

Not sure if anyones read about this?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21541934-10914,00.html

Topic #11409 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

"I'm looking forward to being part of a side where everyone's pulling together in the same direction and no egos are involved," Horvath said.

Reply #132994 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

No egos, has he met his coach yet?

Reply #133009 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Met him? He idolizes him....he grew up watching the great Shane Heal and can't wait to play for the brilliant Coach.

Reply #133017 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

I`d be embarrassed to be quoted as saying i went to games to watch a bench player shoot 3 pointers in the warm-up... Sounds like he`s read Dale Carnegie thoroughly... Maybe Fuller, Price, and Ninnis` failings were a lack of gushing praise for Shane...

Reply #133024 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

You'd really struggle to find absence of ego at any level of any pro sport, so well done Horvarth!

Umm.... please get a second opinion. Queue skyhooks.

Reply #133034 | Report this post

Bogut  
Years ago

I may be the only person that disagrees.. but I like Shane Heal.. I think he's done great considering his absence from the NBL, fact is since he stood up as coach, the team improved.
I look forward to their new lineup this season.

Reply #133311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are the only one!

Heal was responsible for Mark Price getting sacked, after Mark Price moved his family over to Australia.. that is simply wrong!

Reply #133320 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mark Price is also responsible for getting sacked - didn't seem prepared or to do a very good job.

Not really a Heal fan, but him stepping in over Price worked for the club and his obligation is to the owner and fans, IMO.

Reply #133325 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Fair call Isaac, but there is a way to professionally go about it and that is not what Heal did..
The way he screwed Price over would have left a very bad impression on Price and the way that we go about things in this league..also a backwards step in that Price would have bought in more NBA calibre players to our league and Heal has put us back in that regard now IMO..

Reply #133327 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Price brought in Fuller who got sacked - then the team started performing a lot better!

There's no nice way to sack your coach. Remember, Price didn't really have coaching experience. You can imagine that Cowan asked Heal for his view, Heal would've said 'Price isn't up to it', and then Cowan would've had to find an alternative.

Assuming he asked Shane, then who is he to decline the request? History shows that they did quite well from then on with that team.

Reply #133329 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Well we all now Fuller was not the greatest, but a lot better than some of the players that have come from the States (cue Jo Jo jokes now). Plus, he was finding his feet, albeit as slowly as he got up and down the court, and who knows what contacts Price had from his playing days..
Without being there at the time, I would pretty safely assume that Heal back doored him, telling Cowans how crap the coach is, whilst saying he could do a better job. Fair enough he did a great job from then on, but has this put our league backwards in the eyes of people in the States?? Price being fired in a professional manner (and I agree, there is no nice way to do it, however there are correct ways to do it, just ask Ninnis!) would have at least had the Dragons still looked upon professionally rather than the "boys club" it is becoming with Heal bringing all his buddies in..
Just my opinion....

Reply #133340 | Report this post

ahh wildcats!  
Years ago

Lol, How may games did they lose straight under Price's leadership? 'Nuf said, he was deadwood.

Reply #133416 | Report this post

ahh wildcats!  
Years ago

"after Mark Price moved his family over to Australia.. that is simply wrong!"

I dont think the family excuse is a fair one to make - he was a cr*p coach, i cant imagine any club just taking it on the chin - it was their inaugeral season with this fantastic ex nba player as coach and they couldnt win a frikn game!

Reply #133418 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Wow, how much of a chance did he get??
5 games or something like that??
I wasn't defending the fact that Price got fired, just the way that it happened!

Reply #133424 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754