123abc
Years ago

NH- Rumour: A-League on Nine

Usually reliable sources at The Spy Report say that Channel 9 will broadcast the A-League live on Saturday afternoons from August.

I am guessing that Fox Sports will do the commentary etc.

Sports on Nine will now have the motto: FOX Sports on Nine

Will the NBL continue next year?

Topic #11418 | Report this topic

Chewy  
Years ago

Won't happen. Foxtel have got the rights. Can't see them giving it up to free to air.

Reply #133132 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

One game a week would actually probably make for good exposure for FOXTEL - think of it as free advertising... But for 2 hours or so... Makes sense given the relatively weak penetration of Pay-Tv in Oz (just out of curiosity - what is it running at now as a percentage of main centres households???)...

Reply #133142 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

channel nine owns a signaficiant share in foxtel, definately possiblility.

Reply #133149 | Report this post

A couple of points to remember here.

1. The A League season runs predominantly through the summer.....is channel 9 going to bump the cricket in favour of a single A League game on a Saturday afternoon ? I think not.

2. Given there poor previous record in treating the 'World Game' with total disrespect, I don't think this leopard is going to change its spots too soon.

Reply #133214 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

That said though, a buck`s a buck - and if the sport is potentially going to be strengthening itself in terms of profile (read $$$) and possibly unseating one of the big 3 (i said `possibly` - before i get accosted)... then it would pay to start now...

It was Ch 9`s chasing of the $$$ that got them to outbid SBS for the 2002 FWC (thinking that the Aust. Team will qualify) - so they wouldn`t be afraid of going to bed with a whore - they just might not hang around in the morning...

Reply #133223 | Report this post

Fair call Johnny, however the Football ( Soccer ) fraternity in SA , like the basketball fraternity in SA, have long memories.

They remember being treated as second class citizens with channel 9's delayed telecast of games from the 2002 world cup. A world cup played in our time zone ( Japan / Korea )

I think you will find that the football public have allready voted with their remote controls. A little bit too late Eddie.....who wants to watch Perth play Wellington ( even if its live to air ) in Adelaide on a Saturady afternoon.

A football desperate maybe, but any true supporter of the world game have Foxtel anyway. We've been forced to by the Chaneel 9's and 7's of this world. Sure SBS have a reasonable coverage on a weekend, play most of the 'Big' games on free to air. And with Fox Sports showing up to 6 games fron the EPL every weekend, plus Serie A and the Spanish League ( ESPN even have the American league on occasionally ) why would you be happy with 1 game of A League a week. I'd prefer to watch channel 31 cover a local derby between Campbelltown and Adelaide City in the local Premier League than watch Channel 9's too little too late effort.

Reply #133235 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Channel 9 and Foxtel have strengthened relationships with Foxtel now sponsoring all Football Shows on Channel 9 and yes, Nine owns a share of Foxtel.

Also tipped is that Nine's "Wide World of Sport" will be ditched in favour of "FoxSports on Nine" which is similar to "ESPN on ABC" in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_on_ABC

Another rumour is that Channel 9 and Foxtel have won the rights to the 2012 Olympic Games.

-www.Knowfirst.info-

Reply #133242 | Report this post

Magic Man  
Years ago

I just want Nine to get the AFL back. Channel 7 has no idea how to do it professionally.

Reply #133253 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

but 7's speeeeciallll

Reply #133297 | Report this post

bill clarke  
Years ago

I hope these rumours are right because i cant record games of the qld roar thouh if this rumour is true it would be a dream if chanel 9 does get. if they didnt get it sbs should get

Reply #148493 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754