The Journo
Years ago

State of Origin Basketball

With the success of State of Origin in Rugby League and the outcrys to have the concept re-instated at AFL level, could the NBL run with the concept.

Maybe as a 3 to 4 day event and instead of the very floored All-Star game?

Teams from SA, VIC, QLD, WA, NSW, maybe TAS?

PLUS, the South Australian team would be pretty tough to beat!

Thoughts??

Topic #11428 | Report this topic

jhdfjghbdjfhbg  
Years ago

I would pay to see a game like that.

It would have to be played after finals though

Reply #133230 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Concept was raised a few years ago.
I reckon it would be a goer.
Leave the Americans out of it and see which state is supreme.

More interest in this than Allstar game which lacks lots

Reply #133236 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

i have often thought this would be a great format

round robin style then knock out amongst the top four

could run a team of "others" that could give you Tas / ACT / NZ /NT to pool from

SA would be very strong although lacking bigs now that Wheels and Hogey are on the farm

Also you would have the ability to blood some AIS talent in the games too.

Imagine JIngles being on the national stage last year and the extra hype that would have created before he entered the league

Reply #133238 | Report this post

Sir Charles  
Years ago

Think Rogers is pleanty big enough to man the paint....dont forget him.
Representation of your state is a wonderful thing and at this level it would be even better.
This is something the NBL should look at seriously!!

Reply #133240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a good concept and SA would no doubt field a strong side.

May be just a tad depressing though considering it would really stamp home the quality of players we've missed out on, though.

Reply #133243 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Possible SA team could consist of:

Rogers, Holmes,Ingles, Newley
Maher, Hill, Kersten, Forman, Ronaldson

NOW im stuck!

Reply #133248 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I really like the idea. Rogers and Schenshcer I'm sure wouldn't do too bad in the 4/5 spots. Jingles in the 3, Newley at the 2 and Maher running the point. Be a very, very hard team to beat!

Reply #133249 | Report this post

Grod365  
Years ago

Lets do it, I cant see why it wouldn't work!

Reply #133261 | Report this post

PPDO  
Years ago

And unlike the other sports codes, with basketball IT is a code that EVERY State plays. AND make sure its held in each State.

Reply #133263 | Report this post

milko  
Years ago

Reply #133267 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

maybe the imports can be part of it too? wa,sa,act?,qld,nsw,tas,vic,nsw,nt? & imports
10 teams can include any real aussie ballers in lower grades to make up the roster?

Reply #133294 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Years ago

DENNY CRANE

Reply #133299 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

You need help Denny Crane.... seriously

Reply #133310 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Don't need the imports in a state vs state clash, looses the passion.

Reply #133313 | Report this post

Hoops 91  
Years ago

I will barrack for SA as long as Tony Ronaldson isnt in our team. I am sure you have all seen the stickers I support the Adelaide Crows and any team playing the power, I have the same idea - I support the SA Basketball team and any team playing against Tony Ronaldson or Shane Heal or Brian Goorjian or ....

Reply #133338 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

Ronaldson isnt he a victorian? I am pretty sure his junior career was with Ringwood Hawks (domestic), rep with Nunawading and then he went to the AIS.

Reply #133360 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Victoria would be very tough with the likes of McKinnon, Saville, Smith. Not sure how Tas with Gibson, Stewart and Nash would compete.

Reply #133375 | Report this post

William 54  
Years ago

Ronaldson - born in SA at least??

NBL.com.au

Reply #133385 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

IMO if a State of Origin were to be played, players should be eligible to play for the state in which they played their junior rep ball, not necessarily where they were born.

If they played in two state (ala Brad Newley) then either 1) make them nominate their "home" state or 2) make them play for whoever they played the longest.

I wouldn't consider Rono a South Aussie (nor Boodnikoff, who I think was born here too).

Anyways, it's a concept that gets thrown around a bit but won't get off the ground any time soon.

Reply #133394 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Tas could have Nic Campbell and Matt Knight. They would struggle. Holly Grima would have to shirt up. Coach - Marty Clarke.

Reply #133538 | Report this post

davidk  
Years ago

AIS team could play in it as well, playing under the Canberra tag. I like the idea of every state and territory playing in this type of concept. Team like NT and TAS could maybe play 1 import if they are short on players. Great concept though!!

Reply #133746 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754