JohnnySack
Years ago

All Time Funny Bball Commentaries???

I remember a few years ago on NBL on ABC a commentator (whom we shall refer to a CG - to protect his identity) was calling a Titans/Sixers (???) game and made the following call (or thereabouts)...

Scene - Paul Rees and Brett Wheeler fighting in the paint for a rebound - and CG says the following (I SWEAR THIS IS TRUE)...

"... Rees and Wheeler... two-headed monster goin` at it in the paint..."...

My mouth dropped open at this... Anyone remember this - and do you reckon CG had a bet... Cause there`s no way you say that by accident (so i think)...

Anyone got some other good ones from games -

Topic #11434 | Report this topic

Keefy  
Years ago

I have a feeling this particular commentator also called Jason Smith 'Thin Air' in a game.

Reply #133381 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Kent Brockman posted some funny stuff Bill Walton said about Paris or Britney the other day...
Something about him seeing her good moves on a video the night before..
Walton is a champ..says some funny, and dopey stuff!

Reply #133382 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Thanks DB5 the scene is the NBA All Star weekend celebrity match

Camera is fixed on Paris who is sitting on the bench as her then boyfriend was playing in the game.

Said guy shoots an air ball with which Walton says along the lines " if i was dating Paris i would be tired too."

Then follows this up with trying to convince the coach to sub her in as he " watched her tape last night and she has some moves"

Reply #133393 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

I have a few:

I think it was at the Athens Olympics and Michelle Timms was commentating a women's game with Andrew Gaze, I can't remember exactly who was playing who, I think it was Brazil vs the US. Brazil starts making a comeback and Michelle pipes up with:

"And the Brazilian fans are getting their hooters out!" Andrew Gaze thought it was pretty funny...

Not basketball related but someone who has been mentioned on this site more than once, Graham Cornes, who was commentating a Crows game back in the late 90's when he came up with this pearler:

"Andrew McLeod is the best player in the AFL with balls below his knees."

Bill Walton has also come up with some classics. He is the master of exaggeration:

"That's the worst shot in franchise history."

Reply #133430 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

"The batter is Holding, the bowlers Willie"

THAT is the greatest commentary of all time. Michael Holding facing a delivery from an English (?) bowler named Willie.

Reply #133435 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"The umpires are Wayne King at the Southern End and Hugh Jass at the other"

Reply #133440 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Today during the Suns - Spurs game... One of the commentators is talking about Kurt Thomas as he's shooting the first of 2 FTs...

"Surpringsly not as slow as most poeple think (as in moving around the court).."

The other commentator chimes in with... "Speaking of slow - here comes Brent Barry into the game..."
(Said commentator being Brent's brother Jon - who has been a real find as a commentator in my honest opnion...)...

Reply #133893 | Report this post

bruce beck  
Years ago

Four (4) Nagy brothers on the court at the same time was funny commentary !!! ?? !!

Reply #134032 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:40 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754