Phd in shot
Years ago

Southerns form in the ABL

What does everyone think Southern is lacking this season as they are slumping to a poor record 2 and 6

Topic #11438 | Report this topic

lockstock  
Years ago

I think that is a good question.. they seem to have the tools to compete well - Lalic has had a great year, D Bowley is always solid, Gerlach is a gun and Braithwaite/Clarke/Goodenough should be able to get it done at the guard spots, add to those Franchescinas and Benny Hodges and they have a pretty solid first 8.

Something is not going well down there, but who knows what it could be..

Reply #133413 | Report this post

Tiger Supporter  
Years ago

Isn't this about everything down there at the moment? Juniors are struggling big time. Massive drop from last year, after over acheiving last year in State Champs. Men are not doing well with what they have got. The woman at the moment you would say are travelling Ok but have some big games coming up. Wrong people in the wrong places?

Reply #133417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As i see it, the early season form of Hodges has slipped and without him the Tigers need to find someone other then Lalic, Bowley and Gerlach to make a contribution.

Where is Braithwaite?
Where is Goodenough?
Where is Clarke?
Where is Franchie?

If there were regular 10+ contributions from these guys, as well as the odd 20+ then wins would follow.

Reply #133428 | Report this post

ASIO Agent  
Years ago

Think players are sick of Jury saying one thing and doing another....

Also so called leaders (DB) and star's (TB) of the team have a really bad attitude's and its effecting the rest of the team.

Pity could be a really good team.

Reply #133433 | Report this post

PPDO  
Years ago

Need another road trip to Pirie i think

Reply #133457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe all these players just arent as great as everyone pumps them up to be.

Reply #133501 | Report this post

supporter  
Years ago

I think all they are missing is a legit big man, so that Dan can play his right position.This also means everyone else slots down a spot and they become much bigger.

Reply #133519 | Report this post

ASIO Agent  
Years ago

Good players can play any position.

Reply #133526 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

so I guess Muggsy could play the 5 then?

Reply #133532 | Report this post

Time to gel  
Years ago

They certainly havnt put it together yet, but take the following into consideration....

New recruit franceschinis has been injured and was taking some time to gel with new team mates and new system. Anyone changing clubs has a large learning curve to overcome.

V Eastern - No lalic/Frangers. Against two of the better big men in the league (Bungey & Breheny)

V Centrals - No Gerlach. A proven game changer.

With Tim Hodges back from overseas and a suprise guest on the way, the second half of the season looks a lot better than the first.

Reply #133534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to the supposed wrestler that they were picking up, is he finally coming????

Reply #133553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Dancing with the Stars or Big Brother... a surprise guest!!! Is there a white room there?

Reply #133574 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

A suprise guest...That will really help the team gel and bring on team unity!!!

Reply #133592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

heh Panther maybe it's Ken Carter!

Reply #133595 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Panther going further south?
Returning home???

Reply #133690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

129 - 66 lost to Forestville. What is going on? Things need to change very quickly. Seems some of the decisions that have been made by the executive are wrong and time there was a change at the top!

Reply #133815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ASIO is a joke!!!!! "good player can play any position", obviously knows nothing about the game of basketball. Probably just some over weight nerds, sitting behind his broadband connection and eating twinkies.

Reply #133838 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Anon 133815

So your going to put your hand up to go on their Executive!!

Reply #133847 | Report this post

Big Khauna  
Years ago

I will because they are a joke. The team is doing the best they can. The club as a whole is going backwards. Just look at where the juniors came in state champs for that. It will not get any better until changes off the court and that starts with the executive.

Reply #133849 | Report this post

ASIO Agent  
Years ago

Anon if only u knew who I am.
If you have had any involvement in this game then u would know how important it is for every player to understand and play each position on the floor. Doesn't have to be extended lenghts of time but at least know.

Reply #133852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forrestville played well but also you have to rememeber they beat Woodville by 74 the week before so they are doing that to a few teams so dont always bad mouth tigers.
One Question though why is the Tigers MVP from last season getting bearly any court time????
he is back form injury and basicly back to playing normal he played 18 mins scored 9 off the bench where as goodenough played 21 mins and scored 2.....because that makes sense

Reply #133937 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Josh Wood the surprise player??
Back from Uni for a month or so.

Reply #133940 | Report this post

And wat is the deal with Shane Boal not getting on the team on Sat nite???

He played Res on Tuesday didn't play to bad from what I heard.

Reply #133945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Plays for the MAVS well he moved there whether he still plays for them im not sure but thats who he moved to

Reply #133948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane's back at Tigers.

Reply #133954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Big Khauna put your money where your mouth is and come and join in. Look forward to you introducing yourself to the exec and giving us your insight. Im there most nights so come and talk to me.

Reply #133956 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

I already have given the executive my thoughts. If you are big enough you can come talk to me but I don't you want to. You talk big on here but when you see me. You don't talk. So if you are going to talk the talk. You should walk the walk!

Reply #133998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BK I have no idea who you are so how would I be ignoring you. Give me a clue, I know and talk to lots of people but Im not sure of your identity. And BTW I havent been on the committee long and I try to do whats asked of me but am open to suggestions.

Reply #134156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heres a suggestion. You quit along with the rest of the exec.

Reply #134171 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Hahahaha Well said anonymous #134171. I have also heard a rumour that the senior mens team has a sponsor that isn't happy. With what they are getting for there money at the moment (from the club that is not the team). I believe and I maybe wrong but its from a very reliable person that its now up to the mens coach to deal with. Why doesn't the committee come clean and say we have no idea how to run a club?? In stead of leaving it up to other people to do their jobs for them and then hope they can get them out of the poo. If not let me guess it's the coaches falt not us. I would have thought once the guys got this sponsorship deal it would then be up to the committee to sign off on it and do what has been promised. As I would think the committe would have had to approved the sponsorship? Not leave it to the coach to sort out!

Reply #134200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be nice if you used your such considerable knowledge of everything to the good of the club not come on here and just bitch and moan. Do you know all the members on the committee or are you slagging off at anyone in particular? Can you acknowledge that there are people there trying to do the best for the club and in particular the players? I get so sick of the constant harping in public on this forum by people who "know"everything but dont seem to want to contribute in assisting the club. And 134171 I wont quit because I know the things I do in my capacity get done properly and I will continue to try to do the best for my club. BK see if you can find out who I am and I would be pleased to talk. Rumour and innuendo do nothing to help and I still cant work out if you want the club to advance or not. But from what I read I have my opinion.

Reply #134211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i can not beleive everybody down there thinks everything is Ok.

Reply #134329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Kahuna, pleae meet Anonymous at McDonalds for a "talk"...

Reply #134335 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Who are you? I don't care if your Bill, Ed, Brenton, John R, Boti, John W, Julieanne or that guy who's girls went to South because they didn't want to train twice a week because of family time and then blamed Andrew. As I said I've come on here because the committee doesn't listen as I've in my previous post. Just like you as wouln't of written "why people come on here and bag the club" well because people go through th right channel and get a load of crap handed out to them for doing it. So they come on here to let everyone know what sort of club it is good or bads. Hahaha meet at McDonolds look where that got JB. There a lot who beleive the club is not going in the right direction but stay because they are loyal. I admire your strength.

Reply #134370 | Report this post

TT  
Years ago

Loyalty will only last so long!

Reply #134403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loyalty cannot be bought and I remain loyal to the club. I just wish I knew who you were because I DO listen and am not part of the "old team", I have my own opinions and no agenda and no I dont believe blindly that all is well. All I can do is ask questions but also get on with what I have to do and make sure things I do go smoothly. I wish our dirty laundry would not be aired in public as it only gives the snipers out there the chance to bag us even more and I am so sick of that. Maybe I will see you on Friday nite at the stadium or after at Maccas lol.

Reply #134462 | Report this post

Southofthecity  
Years ago

anonomous,

Jokes about sacking of coaches at McDonalds shows exactly what Southern are about, and shows that you probably are on the committee.

Ask all those peolpe who have have been sacked in the last 10 years about how they have been treated and you will find a recurring nightmare.

Reply #134475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Southofthecity ive been at the club for a long time and the way they have treated some people isnt fair Willie Joseph asked for the Coaching director for the boys when he was still around and they said no one of the worst decisions ever he would have been a great CD and the club might not be in such a rut.

Reply #134479 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Guys, I think enough has been said and this discussion isn't helping the club at all. As always, if you have issues with the club, approach the committee or attend an AGM to discuss this privately. If your not being heard then bringing it up on here isn't going to help your cause.
In the best interest of basketball maybe we should stop airing dirty laundry on here...enough is enough.

Reply #134480 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

The Tigers STILL have the best post game feed for players and officials. About that, there is no dispute.

Reply #134485 | Report this post

ASIO Agent  
Years ago

Panther I agree with what you said but people need to be aware of what certain people are doing to the club.

There are people that are there for their own agenda, which is sad, but in sport you will always get that. Oh and by the way, loyalty, the administration doesn't show it so why should the players/parents/coaches.

At Southern there are to many people that are happy to stand back and have their little bitch about the current people. But the thing is, if they do say anything or bring up a way they think the club could be run better certain people shut them down without explaining why that would work.

Maybe the club needs to be more transparent& For example the ABL Women's Coach not being payed for the last 18 months. And then telling the players it was a health related issue.

In regards to Macca's, they did the same thing to Colin Brown with the Under 14's a few years back.

Reply #134490 | Report this post

PHD in shot  
Years ago

I dont get half the people on here this post started as simply a thing for people to give there view on why the mens ABL team arnt doin so great and now people are just bad mouthing the club. seriously leave the club alone.

Reply #134499 | Report this post

P!nk  
Years ago

Loyalty gets you no where particuarly at southern trust me!!!

Reply #134516 | Report this post

Phd in shot  
Years ago

I play for southern and have for 12 years and ive been loyal so its a good club

Reply #134571 | Report this post

The Blue Wiggle  
Years ago

Hey Phd What do u say then to people like Colin Brown, Jason Balfour, Kim Jury, Noel Robinson, BEV CHAMPMAN!!!!! also countless other players and coaches that over the years have done everything for the club only to have it slammed back in their face. Destroying what history the Noarlunga City Tigers ONCE had.

The main problem with Southern is that to many parents are having their say or even controlling the club to help their child to stay in the right teams. Isn't that right Mr BD. And at the same time not caring who they turn away in the mean time.

Reply #134593 | Report this post

P!nk  
Years ago

i agree apart from Noel being in the mix of people being loyal.

Reply #134595 | Report this post

Phd in shot  
Years ago

(Mod: Deleted.)

kim Jury left for family reasons. and if i was you buddy get to know the people first Bev Chapman not CHAMPMAN you have done your research. I will admit colin wasnt treated fairly and dont know much bout noel. ive played under all of those coaches aswell by the way except noel

Reply #134611 | Report this post

The Blue Wiggle  
Years ago

Phd, first of all sorry for spelling Bev's last name wrong. Please forgive me.

Mate I have been involved with the club for more years than you've been alive if you've played under Colin.

(Mod: Deleted.)

Kim Jury left because he was told how to run his training sessions when he took on the U12 div 1 team at the start of the summer season. He stood down from the coaching directors position because of family reasons.

Don't get me wrong its great to see you on here standing up for your club but just make sure you have all the facts and figures before you start jumping up and down.

By the way do you know who owns the canteen now that Balfour has left??

Reply #134619 | Report this post

Southofthecity  
Years ago

Phd in shot,

The list goes on and on.

Losing Bev was the biggest mistake the club ever made. More so considering it happened becasue somebody Bev recruited into the club stabbed her in the back.

Same people got rid of Paul Mesecke. With the results of Sturt that looks like another parent run whopper.

In both cases the people who got rid of them left the club as well.

Willie Joseph would have stayed on if he had of been given the coaching director role. But instead it was given to somebody who would do what a parent wanted in regards to their kids.

Same reason Colin Brown and Michael Touhy were shafted.

Getting Matt into be the saviour was actually help for the senior team. Who's coach happened to be the presidents son.

And that the club shafts Jason Balfour, somebody who spent years at the club, for Matt was maybe the biggest mistake in past memory. Considering Matt has just up and left for interstate, and they now don't have anybody to help in junior development is so short sighted it makes me laugh. Just becasue he was running a business that involved local schools, doesn't mean that he is stealing, moron.

Finally, the number of teams at the club has slowly decreased over the past 10 years. As have their results. Until somebody is willing to give control over to somebody who is willing to stop the nepotism it will only continue to get worse.

Reply #134628 | Report this post

Hear the Roar  
Years ago

The Blue Wiggle

I think you should have called yourself the yellow wiggle because he was having fainting fits and became disallusional.

In your first post you said K Jury was sacked then in your last post you said he gave up because of family reasons. Which one is it?

Noel resigned and was not sacked.

The Club owns the canteen and is now generating a healthy profit which is to the benefit of all members and players.

And the last time I looked Mr BD had 1 child playing in Div 1 who is arguably one of their best players. Should she be dropped because her dad is on the committee.

You need to move on as the Club has and is looking forward not backwards.

Reply #134630 | Report this post

The Blue Wiggle  
Years ago

Great point southofthecity!!!

Roar read what i wrote.

"Kim Jury left because he was told how to run his training sessions when he took on the U12 div 1 team at the start of the summer season. He stood down from the coaching directors position because of family reasons."

BD was one of the main reason's behind the Colin Brown and Mike Touhy because his son was being dropped. The daughter is a good player and that is why he isn't causing any problems at the moment.

And the canteen!!! Ed owns that doesn't he???

"You need to move on as the Club has and is looking forward not backwards"
I totally agree with you but one should learn from their mistakes and as "southofthecity" has pointed out Southern Tigers are not.

Reply #134634 | Report this post

Hear the Roar  
Years ago

Seriously Blue Wiggle

If you think Ed owns the canteen you are not associated with the Tigers!!

Also neither Colin or Tuohy have coached at Div 1 level at their new Clubs since they left in the last 3 years so maybe the decision taken was right.

Also tell me that the current Div 1 panel of coaches is not the strongest they have had in many years.

Get over it!!

Reply #134669 | Report this post

The Blue Wiggle  
Years ago

Results speak for themself. State Champs for example. Weaker (so called coaches) in the past have done better then wat you've done recently.....

Reply #134683 | Report this post

TT  
Years ago

Hear the Roar. How would you know the canteen is making a healthy profit when the financials have not been audited for the last 4 years oe perhaps more. Ask the President how many times he and his buddies have paid for the alcohol they have consumed on the nights when there has been a working bee or perhaps a late executive meeting. I am surprised that this forum topic hasn't been shut down yet, I guess we will wait and see.

Reply #134710 | Report this post

Hear the Roar  
Years ago

TT

Your can't be serious!

Happens at all Clubs.

Reply #134720 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

I support a lot of wat has been said on here, but if you aren't part of the solution, you are a part of the problem.

DON'T LIKE THE STATUS QUO, THEN GET IN THERE AND CHANGE IT!!!

Reply #134754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said PH, all the bickering will get us no-where. I went onto the committee to try and put accross my opinions and champion the players under Div 1 and 2 as my child is in a lower div. I have NO agenda regarding getting my child into Div 1 and if you look at exactly who is on the exec maybe you would see how many actually have kids still playing! Not many. If you have a complaint go thru the channels and if not find someone like me who WILL listen and lets move forward. Its all the harping back to such and such was treated badly, OK some things have been done wrong in the past, some were the right moves, lets look forward and if you have the interests of the club at heart do that and learn to forgive without forgeting if you must. Its the kids we are in it for ...........isnt it? Know I am.

Reply #134760 | Report this post

TT  
Years ago

So are what are things you think you have done right? The fact is that if the president wants to do something he does, then sells it to the rest of the committee. You are all puppets that are attached to a big piece of string that think that you have a say, but in reality, have no influence! Hear the Roar, Didn't get an answer with regards to the books being audited? Also you say it Ok to help yourself to the bar because every club does it! I think a lot of Clubs would take a offence to that. The difference between you and other clubs with regards to this is that they have not just asked for $100 from each player to pay an outstanding BASA bill. Would have thought that being so far in debt that saving in all departments would help the club. (ie no free drinks or free coffees from the canteen). Why was it that all juniors had to pay the $100 levy, and the seniors received a letter saying they did not have to pay. So typical of Southern.

Also why do you keep saying Hear the Roar? What do Southern have to Roar about since the merger? Nothing!

Reply #134786 | Report this post

The Blue Wiggle  
Years ago

Very well said TT. See how long we have to wait for a reply now...

Reply #134823 | Report this post

Hear the Roar  
Years ago

TT and Blue Wiggle

You have both made statements on this forum that are so far from the truth it is laughable.

This means that you are either associated with the Club and have your head in the sand or you have nothing to do with the Tigers.

In both counts there is no point debating any argument as you do not know what you are talking about.

Before you come back on here can you please get your facts right.

That would be a good start.

Reply #134827 | Report this post

TT  
Years ago

I love being right!! No response to the questions because everything I have said is true. No debate needed because you have no come back because Blue and myself know the right answers. Thats what makes everything at Southern a joke. How are those free capacinnos and beers going? You lack of reply to specific questions shows that you do know little what 'really' happens down there and that it is chaos down there and things will continue to slide while the current executive remains in place. Many unhappy people who have hang around waiting for the good stuff have now run out of patience and will leave in huge numbers. Clubs will be rubbing their hands with glee come Trials time. Hear the Roar! haha!

Reply #134832 | Report this post

Hear the Roar  
Years ago

TT

As long as your the first to leave come trials!!

Reply #134896 | Report this post

TT  
Years ago

Thats your philosphy isn't it. Just leave. Have not answered any questions have we?

Reply #134905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Financials are well in hand and the club can look forward to a postive future. Its a pity people are in trouble for getting a coffee or a beer after giving up their time for a meeting. Seniors ARE being asked to contribute to the Levy. What would be the preferred option- just let the Suns sink or try to get a club together to keep the kids able to play and keep fees reasonable. Remember BASA has a lot to answer for and if BSA is moving onward why cant u? Any more questions you need answered? Or are you merely going to say its all BS and you know better. Im waiting for a reply now. Over to you TT.

Reply #134911 | Report this post

TT  
Years ago

You still did not answer the question about the books being audited? I think they would show a few worries when done by an independant body. So I now see that helping yourself to free stuff is Ok at Southern if you are on the committee. What about all the parents that help around the club, by scoring, doing the bbq and general stuff, Do they get a free drink?

Not all Seniors have been asked for the levy, the letter sent out proves it. And I am not sure what you mean by the 'Suns' comment. What are you saying is that Noarlunga was the saviour?

Reply #134917 | Report this post

The Blue Wiggle  
Years ago

Um "Hear the Roar", you said that "You have both made statements on this forum that are so far from the truth it is laughable" in regards to wat????
The way you treat your coaches??? Loyality of the club towards players and coach's or just the free meal at Macca's you proved every now and then to special coaches.....

Reply #134937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Remember BASA has a lot to answer for"

It's BASAs fault you racked up a massive debt?

Reply #134940 | Report this post

The Blue Wiggle  
Years ago

They racked up a massive debt when Suns and Tigers joined they gave everyone free uniforms. And over the past few years and people left the uniforms went with them. Even after they said that if you don't stay 12 months you must give them back.

What I thought was funny around the same time they told everyone that they were the only club that was financial with BASA.

It all comes out in the wash!!!!

Reply #134946 | Report this post

Ihaveadream  
Years ago

Lets keep it real.
At the moment the lost of juniors have caused a real problem. And with none coming in we need to look to the next few years.
Half the players in nearly all (but not all) div 1 & 2 are playing a divison higher than their skills.
Looking to next year and nearly all the players will be a div to high for their skill level.
But because they play div 2 this year parents demand and get that they are div 1 next year.
Lets keep the committee out of the discussion.
A quote from president Bill. "If a committe member does not do what I say, I will get rid of them"
True quote. Hence the committee are puppets, yes people.
Look forward...... it is not bright for southern. Think state champs were bad this year, just wait till next year.
Hear the Roar......die

Reply #134948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reject being called a puppet, I am my own person with my own ideas and own opinions. I will continue to do my best as a member of the committee in any way I can and all the people who obviously (to themselves) know it all, come to the AGM and get yourselves involved in doing it right. Or is that where it ends- all talk and not interested in putting in the time? Well done Ive had enough, wont waste my time on this forum again.

Reply #134973 | Report this post

TT  
Years ago

The only reason I would come to the AGM is to vote in a new President. mmm thats an idea. Where is Hear the Roar? I am waiting for some answers.

Reply #135007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TT

You want answers why not appraoch the Club instead of using this forum.

Are you even from their Club I wonder!

Reply #135029 | Report this post

TT  
Years ago

And get lip service, No one gives straight answers anyway.

Reply #135031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats a cop out.

You would just rather create havoc on here.

Clubs do not need guys like you.

Reply #135051 | Report this post

TT - wateva!  
Years ago

TT = Total TOOL!
TT = Try Twinkles
TT = Total TWOT
TT = Try Tossing

Reply #135209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TT Wateva - Summing up Southern are we? or perhaps yourself? haha!! Go the Southerners!! Try so hard but acheive nothing!!

Reply #135211 | Report this post

hh42  
Years ago

going back to the original question of why the mens form is average....

Reply #135225 | Report this post

Years ago

They just don't have that great a list. Then you have Lalic out for a few games and you have the bottom side, every time, every year. They are 2-8 right now. If Lalic was fit they probably would be 3-7, maybe 4-6. I think that is about right for this group because again, they just don't have the players!

Reply #135246 | Report this post

ASIO Agent  
Years ago

Some of the players need to loose their bad attitude.....

Reply #135299 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Did they win on the weekend?

Reply #135843 | Report this post

stef#4  
Years ago

I think people are taking this post way to far it seems to me it was started to get peoples opinions of the poor form of the ABL team not to bad mouth the club in anyway so why dont people get back to wat it was started for and stop bad mouthing the club

Reply #136272 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I don't know if you could say they don't have a good squad!
Have a look at the team on the weekend...

PG: Clarke/Goodenough
SG: Gerlach/Braithwaite
SF: Wood/Franceschinis
PF: Ben Hodges/Tim Hodges
C: Lalic/Bowley

And then you have players like Boal, Florence, Brown, who can't even get a game, I don't think you don't have the talent.

Reply #136284 | Report this post

C:Dos/Run  
Years ago

I have been around the club since i was too young to even play, my brother and sisters played there in juniors, about 12 years ago through from under 10's to senior level, i have seen the decline of the Tigers name. Noalunga City Tigers were once considered a force in sa basketball, but have slowly dropped off, and i have to agree as much as merging with the suns was promoting basketball, southern havnt even been a shadow of their former selves. Its disappointing really.

Reply #136286 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:04 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754