SAW
Years ago

Norwood Spitting Incident

I know the original topic has been locked but I am curious what was the final outcome of the tribunal hearing. Any news??

Topic #11464 | Report this topic

russell coight  
Years ago

52 weeks - 44 suspended on probation

Reply #133794 | Report this post

8 weeks for spitting at a ref. what an outrage

Reply #133796 | Report this post

Respect  
Years ago

ELG quote:
"but spitting is the worst thing. i'd rather get punched in the face than spat on. its the ultimate 'disrespect'"

This comment. What an outrage!

Reply #133797 | Report this post

i don't understand your comment, Respect.

Reply #133799 | Report this post

Respect  
Years ago

And that is the problem, Gorilla.

Reply #133808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here we go again. It's done and dealt with , let it go.

Reply #133812 | Report this post

SAW  
Years ago

52 weeks reduced to 8 because he was remorseful or apologetic or something. No wonder refs feel like the poor cousins in bball. To suspend such a large proportion of the sentence sends the wrong message and sets a wrong precedent. If BSA had a chance to do something about poor behaviour at bball they blew it.

And Respect, if you think ELG's comment is an outrage then you have no idea.

Reply #133813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a joke. If I were the reff I would take civil action. This was nothing but assault and to get 8 weeks is a joke. I would love to see the reff send a clear message that assault especially on a reff is not acceptable.Tribunal got it way wrong.

Reply #133818 | Report this post

Spellcheck  
Years ago

you got the spelling of ref way wrong too anon.

Reply #133821 | Report this post

spi  
Years ago

Seriously 8 weeks is a long time for kid miss basketball for. Spitting is not good but lets keep some perspective on the crime.

Reply #133824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spell check you didn't start your sentence with a capital. Spell check should have a space as well. How petty can a moron like you be? This is a very serious incident and he should have got more than 8 weeks.

Reply #133828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issue is the tribunal thought it was worth 52 weeks but suspended most of it. Have they backed themselves into a corner with future hearings?

And spi 8 weeks for a kid is not very long at all if it teaches him a lesson of what is socially unacceptable behaviour.

Reply #133839 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

IMO, a very inadequate sentence.

Reply #133844 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

spitting is the lowest of low, even animals do not spit on each other

piss poor effort by the tribunal sends no message what so ever, and is another backwards step and even another reason for more potential refs to look at other avenues and sports,

a player did this at a indoor centre where i ref and he got instant 2 season ban which in indoor cricket is 12 months.

Reply #133846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are other animals able to spit??

Reply #133850 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Yes - Alpaca's, Llama's and Camels, all members of the Dromedary family.

Reply #133854 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Years ago

Denny Crane says spit back at the little bastard next time.... DENNY CRANE

Reply #133884 | Report this post

if someone spat at me i would personally have thrown a punch but thats just me. im glad the umpire used some self control unlike this child.

Reply #133902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what will be the penalty if I hit an umpire. After I did it I was sorry and remorseful and apologised. 8 weeks for hitting an umpire seems worth it at times (only joking refs). But seriously, anything associated with assaulting a ref should result in soemthing significantly harsher than this.

Reply #133926 | Report this post

spi  
Years ago

Hitting an umpire would be far worse than spitting on them in my opinion. Also depends on the level of malice and damage done. IE if the hit was full blown upper cut to the chin resulting in broken jaw and umpire concussed then the player should be suspended for life and front the courts on assault charges.

If it was a mere push of an umpire, no damage was done etc. then 8-10 weeks would be appropriate.

Spitting is not good but what was the end result. The umpire wipes his face and lives to fight another day. 8-10 weeks is appropriate if the player is remorsful etc. in my opinion. If the player commited it again then different story.

Reply #133931 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

I believe the minimum penalty for hitting an umprire is 52 weeks and the maximum is a life ban.

As for 8 weeks for spitting - i agree with those who have said it is inadequate.

Reply #133961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id prefer to be hit in the face than spat on spitting is the ultimate low it is degrading and disgracrful

Reply #133966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ELG Your one tough Gorilla

Reply #133997 | Report this post

oprah  
Years ago

He's just a kid. He made a disgusting choice. i imagine he's been humiliated enough already. and his parents. hopefully he has apologised and undertaken some restorative work with someone compassionate. Time to move on, IMHO.

Reply #134020 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

ELG if you punch like you shoot free throws your not hitting anyone

Reply #134025 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I wonder how many weeks it will take to train all the new referees required to fill the void of this spat in the face incident.

How many weeks would the referee got if they decided to retaliate?

Reply #134074 | Report this post

wateva  
Years ago

If you spit on someone you have assaulted them. Eight weeks penalty is laughable. You're just saying to people don't abuse referees spit on them.

Reply #134079 | Report this post

spi  
Years ago

FM, good points. I guess the referee is just showing he is the adult, the better person and will go on despite this incident. Remember its not like the kid is getting off scott free.

They should also take into account the referees feelings on this. If the referee is a good guy he would take it on the chin accept the players apology and move on.

Reply #134088 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nice pun.

Reply #134089 | Report this post

spi  
Years ago

Yea I make alot of puns like that. Most of them are unintended like that. Does that make me comedic genius or a funny idiot.

Reply #134101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spitting on the umpire and an opposition player were both disgusting acts, and incredibly stupid. Just wanted to make that clear so that I don't get howled down for what I am about to type. The tribunal also considered the severe provocation and racial abuse that the player copped from a Woodville parent. IMO racism is about as low as it gets (along with spitting of course). This issue is yet to be dealt with, but it's fair to say we haven't heard the last of it. Not condoning what happened, nor am I saying I agree with the suspended penalty, just letting you all know what happened.
There it is, now debate it all you like.

Reply #134212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If racists remarks definetly occured it changes alot racism as down right disgraceful and cowardly and has no place in sport along with spitting! was the woodville parent banned? i hope they where

Reply #134216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

parent got 52 weeks, 44 suspended!

Reply #134225 | Report this post

giraffe86  
Years ago

aaaaghhh.
what the?
And we pretend it doesn't happen.
:(
thank you for the explanation.
I should have asked "what happened?" at the start.

Reply #134238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Please don't bother coming back to the forum.)

Reply #134246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must admit that if racial abuse was hurled at the kid it changes my opinion of this matter. I still feel the kid should have got a far greater penalty as umpires at worst should only expect some verbal abuse (not that it is right and I said at worst). What message are we sending giving just 8 weeks? As said by someone before, does this mean I can spit on a reff and get only 8 weeks? I still say that I would have taken civil action, as the spitting is still assault. Did the parent really get the penalty as mentioned? The most unfortunate thing of the incident (apart from small penalty) is that Norwood and Woodville are both being seen in a bad light by the actions of the spitter and the racist.

Reply #134253 | Report this post

wateva  
Years ago

Racism has no place in any sport. The sentence handed out to the parent is pointless. Just a smack on the wrist and a lolly pop to numb the pain. If the referee heard the comments they should have done something imediately. But that still doesn't justify the spitting. So on both counts the tribunal has proven once again it is totally useless.

Reply #134279 | Report this post

juniorr  
Years ago

obviously any racist comment is completely innapropriate and unacceptable. but from what I understand any comment that may have been made from the parent, occurred after the player spat on both the ref and the player. so to say the players action was a reaction to the comment wouldn't be justified. i could be wrong but that's what i heard.

Reply #134363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

juniorr - incorrect

Reply #134375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some ref's need putting in thier place they think they can do or say what they like to players and get away with it and u get no support from either the UIC or BSA all people wanna talk about is players this players that but theres always 2 sides to every story there are several ref's i'd love to play against

Reply #134521 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How's your cave at this time of year?

Reply #134529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The racial comment was what lead to the spitting incident so you are wrong juniorr

Reply #134551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess I have not been in that position but why spit in the refs face when the comments are coming from elsewhere?

Reply #134556 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Have tried to stay away from this one, but have to have my say.

For those people who are saying "but he was raciall abused so it means he should have got a lesser sentence"...what a load of cr@p.

did the referee racially abuse him? did the woodville player abuse him?? NO!

So why were they spat on, therefore increasing their potential exposure to a range of diseases from a simple cold through to potentially lethal hepatitis?

What if someone one day is walking down the street, is racially abused, so they walk into some crowded area and start shooting? "oh he was racially abused, so it's ok he just killed 13 people"...yes, its an extereme example, but if we are excusing it for a lesser incident of spitting at someone, where do we draw the line?

Reply #134574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Have tried to stay away from this one"

Yogee, maybe you should have. What a load of crap about a situation you know nothing about.

No-one is condoning what the player did, but the FACT is he was extremely distressed by the racist comments, and unfortunately reacted inappropriately under severe provocation. On the other hand, what about the abuser - no provocation there. Racially abusing a teenager, without any justification whatsoever.

Reply #134589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

severe provocation - hee hee!

Reply #134591 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Sorry, I mean to put in my original post that in no way that racial abuse should be tolerated, and the person responsible should have been banned for quite some time as well.

My point is society today, in general, tends to try and blame anyone/anything else for their negative actions. Becuase he was racially abused by someone is no reason to spit on 2 other people, who were not involved.

And anon, yes i wasnt there, nor were the majority of people who have made a comment on this thread. why does that mean i am not allowed to voice my opinion yet others are?

Reply #134594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank god none of you sit on a jury together.
The kid admitted he did a dumb thing.
His parents nor his club condoned it.
The tribunal listen to the 2 sides.
A sentence was given.
End of this story.
If you hanging judges think you are all able to impartialy sit on a tribunial--apply (I know they are looking for more people to share this load)
Now to the development of referee's that allow ref's to get to the point of badly managing a heat match.
Is anything being done in this department. This is what also needs to be addressed.From where I sit there is a lot of talk but not much action.
Referee's are being paid to supply a service and if its is found wanting shouldnt some form of training be applied.IS this being done!!

Reply #134604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Small sport-small punishment. This incident probably fuelled more racial stereotyping amongst the bigots with the 'what do ya expect' comments doing the rounds. We do no service to anyone using racism as an excuse so lets bury it.

Reply #134616 | Report this post

wateva  
Years ago

134521 What did the referee do exactly to warrant being assaulted? He was reffing a game and a player spat on him. Regardless of how he was reffing there was no legal justification to spit on him. You sound like allthose players who not matter who refs them and no matter how good a job they do you blame them because you don't have the skills to handle the game.

Reply #134668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its like coppers just coz their nice to you doesnt mean they haven't been a c*** to someone else Karma

Reply #134925 | Report this post

Intersted Party  
Years ago

I was shocked at what happened. BSA is relly short of referees at the moment this does not help. From the people I have talked to it started by the player spitting in the face of other team player. Referee went to kick him out. S for good luck the referee got spat on as well. The referee was fine up to when they found out the player got 8 weeks. The referee has now quit. They say it not worth when tribual will not back you. I agrree 100%. But from I have been told Norwood has also supensed the player he made Norwood look bad. The problem is BSA ha had to situation one where a referee got punched in the face the second referee got spat. That could be a good why we do not have referees eg we had use VIC referees just to get through State Champs. There needs to be more checks and balances. If I was on tribual I would og given LIFE that is allowed is the maxium one could and would send a message that if you spit punch or pysically asulted a referee will not be allowed to play again.

Reply #134954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Intersted Party please speak english i could hardly understand what the hell you were on about please wait till year 8 to comment on this site

Reply #134961 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Im not sayin that spitting isnt wrong - just before i start.
There was an incident in a football game i was involved witha few weeks ago and although this is not to do with basketball it is somewhat relevent. There was a headclash involving a player from each team. The opposition player was left with a bleeding head and proceeded to wipe his hand in the pool of blood on his face and then flick it onto the face of my teammate. This was only given a 4 game suspension.

My point is - spitting is disgusting and should be punished anyway. On a ref, should've been more but its a common theme in sports that a little elbow is worth a few weeks but completely degrading the game and showing no repsect for referees or the game itself is only slightly is only worth a couple more weeks?! Should've been a season ban for the player involved in both incidents, as this shouldnt be tolerated in any sport at any time.

Reply #134974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i no the guy that was part of this incident that u have all given ur two sense on most of which are completly wrong because u dnt no wat happened, the player was racially abused first then proceded to ask the spectator to take it back in which the umpire who would have easily been with in earshot to here the remark tried to kick the player off the court instead of kicking the spectator out of the stadium, I understand that spitting is a very bad thing to do but noone can say that they haven't been so angry or worked up about something that has happened that they have made a mistake and done something they never wouldve done under normal circumstances he has apologised for what he did and is generally sorry so get over it if u ask me the umpire wasn't doing his job correctly in the first place (although this still doesnt make the spitting incident nessacary)

Reply #135400 | Report this post

Flinders 11  
Years ago

ive been pretty angry about stuff before but ive never spat in the face of two people.

Reply #135402 | Report this post

CP07  
Years ago

The kid had people abusing him. It does not cover for him, but what pathetic woodville parents would racially abuse him!?

Reply #135408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People should not blame all Norwood people for the terrible spitting incident and neither should they blame all Woodville parents for alleged racist taunts.

Reply #135423 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:16 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754