Div 1coach
Years ago

State Coach Responsibilities

Don't want to start a bitch session about state coaches cause I reckon they would have a pretty hard gig to start with. I coach div1 boys and dealing with player and parent ego's can be hard enough, let alone with the 'elite' players and their parents who have a reputation on the line.
My question is, are the state coaches required to conduct a review of their own players and also those from the other states? If they do, are they readily available? If not, wouldn't it be a great tool to analyse our talent compared to other states and use this to help plan the development of our players. I'm not talking about making this available to sasi players only, as I'm sure most would agree that an overall strong competition is what we are after.
In no way am I shying away from the fact that club coaches need to develop their players, but an idea of positions and skills SA is either strong or lacking in may be of benefit?
Any thoughts??

Topic #11484 | Report this topic

When you say review of players can you be more specific?

- Do you mean something that points out player's individual strengths and weaknesses and areas they need to develop?
AND/OR
- Do you mean general strengths and weaknesses of all players in the age group?
- What points of difference would exist between reviews from state coaches and club coaches of the same players? IE Wouldn't they be about the same?
- Would you do it for players that made the 10 or how many players would you do it for?
- Out of interest, what club are you from?
- How do you see reviews of interstate talent helping coaches here?
- I know alot of scouting of other state teams goes on but would this help club coaches?
- if you dont want to say what club, what age group?

Reply #134044 | Report this post

Div 1coach  
Years ago

- Do you mean something that points out player's individual strengths and weaknesses and areas they need to develop?

Not really

AND/OR
- Do you mean general strengths and weaknesses of all players in the age group?

Yes

- What points of difference would exist between reviews from state coaches and club coaches of the same players? IE Wouldn't they be about the same?

Could well be different if state coach is looking for something specific and club coach needs a different role filled.

- Would you do it for players that made the 10 or how many players would you do it for?

Only for the 10.

- Out of interest, what club are you from?

No comment

- How do you see reviews of interstate talent helping coaches here?

You know what you're up against. You may help a fringe player make the team.

- I know alot of scouting of other state teams goes on but would this help club coaches?

Yes. If state coach says SA lacked a certain skill set and you have players that could fill that role, wouldn't that be a good tool to motivate the kid to develop on their own time?

- if you dont want to say what club, what age group?

U/16

Reply #134045 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

When I was involved with State as an asst coach they ran trainings every Saturday for 12 weeks before the state trials. There was about fifty kids from all clubs. It helped us work on the individual skills that we were looking for in a state player and gave kids from weaker clubs the chance to train against better players. Do they still do that?

Reply #134050 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

State Coaches are required to submit a report to the junior committee. This involves the general strengths and weaknesses of the the age group.

The State Coaching Director also distributes a copy of the National ITC Coaches assesment of State strengths and weaknesses to Coaching Directors.

The porblem is that some clubs and coaches disregard these assesments because they do not conform to their own philosophies.

Specificall that some players are only able to play zone defence and not pressure man to man. And that players are not able to play the position at international level because they are not milti-skilled.

Reply #134066 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

One key requirement might be not to refer to players as " my (insert club here) girls/boys".
I can't imagine a worse scenario that having players pre trial for 12 weeks before their real trials of another 10 weeks before the group who make it continue for another 6 or so weeks.
If you don't play for Sturt , Norwood , forestville or Sturt your chances of making state are slender so perhaps a state coach's responsibility should be to actually be able to talent spot kids not wearing the right club uniforms.
I also think asst. coaches should be appointed by an independent person as opposed to the system we have where the state coach appoints his number 2 and 3 might help equal out selections. I also would like to see the rotation of state coaches every two years.

Reply #134456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

george - if you look at the ladder in a particular age group, then the spread of players in a state team, often there is a correlation between the two, which is logical IMO.

So if the sturts, f/villes, norths etc are producing good players and winning teams domestically, then you'd think those kids would make up the majority of the state teams.

Reply #134459 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

Actually George it is the responsibilty of the clubs to develop players to the standard that is required to compete at a National level.

If they don't foster a similar philosophy to that of the National ITC, SASI and State Coach then the clubs are to blame.

If they were producing better players they would have teams that are successful.

Otherwise, are you sugesting that the teams that are top should have less players make the team over teams who are bottom?

Reply #134460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Junior -134066 - These Assessment you are talking about do they ever get back to the player, and are they Honest??? So He/she can improve their game and make up their own descision whether or not, with help they can change that aspect of their game. It is fine that ALL the coaches know but are we sugar-coating the facts to our players.

Reply #134464 | Report this post

DoddoBird is referring to what I think used to be called SASI Satellite trainings. Do these still go on? Are they still called that name?

Reply #134465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh, the return of George!!

I wonder which state coach you'll tell this year that they "won't have any interest in Nationals"...

I'll take incorrect assumptions for $200!

Reply #134466 | Report this post

134464 , some players do get feedback some do not. Generally the closer you are to making it the more feedback you will get. Are you suggesting all the 100s of players in an age group get feedback from the state coach?

Reply #134468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George,
Didn't a lad from Centrals just make this years team?
But perhaps the selectors just got his uniform confused with a Forestville uniform...

Idiot.

Reply #134469 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

anon #134464

Again that is the responsibiliety of the clubs.

All clubs caoching directors get feedback. If they choose to use it, is all together anyother issue.

Reply #134473 | Report this post

thesoupnazi  
Years ago

Junior, are you sure all coaching directors get feedback?

Reply #134624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeap Junior I think you live in the dream world of what should happen and it would be great if it did. But the reality is completely different after the national comps are over you are lucky if the coaches chat to you at all - that is at any level

Reply #134639 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

If you club delegate doesn't hand on the State report from the State Coach, that can hardly be the Staet coaches fault now can it.

Reply #134645 | Report this post

bella  
Years ago

As a country person - I am aware that after the Country Cup in Albury all the players associations (not District clubs)and DNSP Coaches are given written (and verbal where requested) feedback on all of their players. This will also occur after Nationals. I also know that where deficits are identified, they are fed back to the associations/DNSP and they are given directives on how to rectify them. If a district club is after feedback on their Country players, I am sure that if you go to the SA Country website and get their DM's info, he would be more than happy to help you out!

Reply #134651 | Report this post

thesoupnazi  
Years ago

Junior, perhaps what is supposed to happen and should happen ends up being optional. The checks and balances that keep planes flying seem missing from BSA and might be the reason it appears grounded.
My experiences suggest, cut kids get a brief 'this is why' from the coach and in some cases it appears to bear but a distant relationship to the reasons they were cut.
Written comments would certainly give players players the opportunity to rise to the challenges set or contest their authenticity.
Bella, if what you say is so, your ahead of the pack.

Reply #134690 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:03 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754