Isaac
Years ago

36ers unveil new logo

The Adelaide 36ers have just unveiled their new logo.

» See the announcement and logo here

My take: a decent, solid choice. Not going to leave anyone in rapture and may have its critics, but is a significant improvement on recent seasons. If you doubt that for a second, go back and really look at the past logo - the weird typography for "Adelaide", the bizarre shape, the fact that it reads as "36ers, Adelaide, 36ers", etc.

Topic #11491 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

It certainly doesnt jump straight out at you. But is a nice choice.
It actually looks very familar. Is it similar to anything?
Can I ask who designed it?

Reply #134105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would look nice if it was placed centre court during the season.

Reply #134106 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Not realy very exciting?

Wishy washy with white, but looks better on blue background

Reply #134107 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Looks a bit plain, what happaned to having a 'star' in it? Like the last couple of logos?

Reply #134108 | Report this post

logos  
Years ago

Yea its OK I guess. A big improvement over the old logo though.

Reply #134109 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

i think it looks great, its an improvement!

Reply #134119 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Fairly plain,makes me think of a netball logo?!
I wonder if the logo will last more than a season without being changed as has happend in the past.

I personally like the plain Adelaide 36ers logo that has been around for about 10 years now.

Reply #134120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice comment mix master!

"I wonder if the logo will last more than a season without being changed as has happend in the past.

I personally like the plain Adelaide 36ers logo that has been around for about 10 years now".

So which is it, changed every year or every ten years you peanut?

Reply #134122 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Nothing flash,pretty boring..Somes up the place. Perfect choice!!

Reply #134125 | Report this post

Seenyor  
Years ago

Have to agree with mix master, whilst i am all for positive changes the club said that with the old logo they were incorporating the history by always keeping the 36ers logo with the arrow and wording of adelaide above it as this has always been around, not sure about changing things that have history about them as this is what a CLUB is all about. This is not at all intented to be negative merely just discussing why it had to be changed.

Reply #134132 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Thanks Seenyor,thats what i was getting at with my last post.Keep a strong identity .

Last season the word 36ers was written in red with yellow outline it seemed like a new logo,as the season before with the word SIXERS.

Reply #134138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah its meh at best. Would have liked to just stay with the old logo. This just seems a little too flat, and the halftone look of the ball is a little trendy cash in.

Reply #134139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its shit

Reply #134142 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

My opinion is that the logo is shit.
Does this mean no more of this logo:
http://www.performancemouthguards.com.au/images/Logos/36ers-logo.gif

If so, i will be really pissed!

Reply #134144 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

I like verr muuch!
think it is classy and simple which is the way to go with logo's.

Looks good - will this mean new uniforms also???

Reply #134146 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

I'm really undecided. I probably need to wait until I get used to it before I can say whether its good or bad.

Reply #134147 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Please drop the white away uniform or adopt it as an alternative uniform. White is such a trashy colour. Red or Blue as the home uniform and the opposite colour away unless they play red or dark colour teams when an alternative white uniform can be used.

Reply #134149 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I agree with hustle, I like the simple look. For me, the old one had a bit too much going on. Like Isaac's post says, the odd shapes and font, the massive star, in a way I found it to be a bit out dated.

New one gets a big thumbs up from me.

Reply #134152 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

a littloe boring but i think we will get used to it..

what will the uniform look like?

Reply #134155 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

The nbl website has now a story about the new logo (same as 36ers website). I much prefer the logo version with a blue ball, the lgo with the white ball (as shown on the nbl and 36ers website) looks far to plain.

Reply #134158 | Report this post

dry back  
Years ago

shithouse

Reply #134162 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the challenge for the club was that there is no notable feature of Adelaide (Opera House, skyline, etc), mascot (crown, Taipan, Wildcat, Tiger) or anything like that.

As I said, I reckon it's a 'B' - not going to win any awards, but steady, simple, modest and gets the job done.

Like I related to one of the club staff the other day, I wore a 36ers hat around the world a few years back and was always getting asked "What's this 'Pura Milk' team you support?" - the sponsor's component of the brand was far too dominant - I ended up unstitching that with a pocket knife somewhere between Chile and Spain. Even then, it left something where 'Adelaide' was virtually illegible.

Reply #134167 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

just had a thort..

does it remind anyone of the fellas logo at all?..

Reply #134168 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Thats a terrible logo! Really FREAKIN BORING!

Reply #134172 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I was a massive fan of the old logo, it looked so good and was unique. I really hate the new one, its sooo boring.

CHANGE IT BACK!

Reply #134173 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Oh, and Issac,

"it reads as 36ers, Adelaide, 36ers". What you are looking at it the logo with "36ers" also written obove it. The "36ers" part of the logo.

Reply #134175 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last year's logo read: Pura Milk. 36ers. Adelaide. 36ers.

I'm not surprised that there are some underwhelmed responses, but I am a little surprised at so many detractors.

I showed the new, previous, and older logo (e.g., last year's without Pura Milk or the 36ERS) to graphic designers I share an office with, and they thought that the new one was easily the best of the three. They also commented that the logo is a small part of the equation - the rest is what's done with it - how it's applied to merchandise, the court (should suit being used for the centre circle perfectly), etc.

Skip, I'm unsure as to who designed it.

Reply #134179 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I prefer the older Sixers logo (without all that crap from the last two years with 'SIXERS' and than '36ERS'. It was actually a very good logo and Adelaide worked hard to make it mean something. Now the new logo means new times and what we have had in the last few years (last year notably) is that the 36ers have struggled.

Out with the new and in with the Old!!!

What's this news about new Sixers sponsor? Any rumours? Another milk brand? Old sponsor like West End?

Will the Dome still have "Distinctive Homes" sponsoring, will there be a new one or will Eddy just not have a naming rights sponsor? Does he intend to make it ABC Learning Centre?

Reply #134180 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Isaac, will there be more merchandise than last year?

Teams like Sydney and Dragons have alot more different things available.

Can the Sixers site have video content this season???? Interviews, even by the Seals! Dunk or three point comps between players a weekly preview show on the next round, a wrap up show? Not expensive and well worth it!

Reply #134181 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You'll have to ask the club about what they're planning in the way of merchandise.

As for video content - requires someone to film it, players to be available to do it, and so on. Might not be expensive, but requires significant effort. Historically, that sort of thing has been quite hard to organise and even harder to carry on week after week.

Reply #134184 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

123abc - The end of the Seals didnt necessarily mean the end of Seal'd. It could well be returning in a slightly different format.

Reply #134187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks like a low res version of a logo or something printed out with a dot matrix printer. looks very dated something from 1990

Reply #134188 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

skip, if seal'd returned, that would be fantastic.

Reply #134190 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac, you're right about last seasons logo. What we need is last year logo with out the "36ERS" or the "Pura Milk" bullcrap.

Reply #134191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares if they have a new logo.. they should be more interested in getting a new coach hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa

Reply #134193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was that ment to be funy?

Reply #134194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it clearly was hilarious

Reply #134195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boring, white means it looks like a soccer ball

Reply #134197 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Reply #134204 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

the 2nd logo in DJ's post i think is the best. The new one is just too plain. It has no depth at all, really anyone could knock that up in 2 minutes. Its not really the end of the world but its really uninspiring look. As long as the team is good i don't really care.

Reply #134206 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Very lame logo

Reply #134209 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Lacks excitement, can be mistaken as a reflection of the product it is trying to sell.

Reply #134210 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I'm a fan of the oldest logo of the 3 displayed there ;-)
With a bit of work and some 'modernisation' I think alot could be done with it.

Reply #134214 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im also a big fan of the 1st logo displayed there too. Classic.

Reply #134217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the new logo!

But, do you think it would have been good for publicity if they ran a competition to see who could design the best logo?

Reply #134219 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

not really, as marketing, printing cost, etc would need to be considered.I also think it would have made the brand seem a little devalued if that makes sense. Would have got attention and made a bit of a talking point though.

Reply #134221 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

So typical.. designers like it - and the average Joe doesnt. Moral? Average Joe has no taste, but unfortunately thats who you need to design for.

Reply #134222 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

The font is what I don't like, but it is pretty simple nevertheless

Reply #134227 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

new logo is ok.....at least it maintains the THIRTY SIXERS as our team is named..not the sad 6ers :)

Reply #134228 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Why is simple bad? Some of the best basketball logos ever, are extremely simple.

Reply #134241 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

So....the chances of the logo being changed back are????

Reply #134243 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kobe24 - won't happen.

Reply #134245 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I agree that a new brand/logo change of direction needed to take place and hopefully that continues further than just a new logo!

Last season was unsucesful both on and off the court so hopefully a bit of a revamp, some better on court performances not just wins but effort, will see the club moving forward.

Reply #134252 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

"No sir - i don't like it..."

- Not the end of the world but i reminds me too much of the News Corp logo... that was the first thing i thought... It is rather bland (and characterless) as some have said - but it's a logo, as long as the product changes (relative to last year) - who cares...

Reply #134258 | Report this post

lil monkey  
Years ago

I prefer the old school logo. I think you get a bit lost in the new version. I find it hard to read, even though there are only the words Adelaide 36ers, it gets lost in the background of the ball.
The font is too common and everything is too centered. Just my opinion though.

Reply #134263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its alright nothin special though. Wats the uniform gonna look like same as last year but with the new logo??

Reply #134318 | Report this post

dee - mak  
Years ago

I am a Graphic Designer, and that new logo is a dismall effort!... 36ers are a pro basketball team and there is nothing professional about that new logo. Who ever approved it must of been drunk. That's my opinion anyway. The 2nd logo in DJ's post is fine.. Thats the logo that people recognise as the 36ers logo and it shouldnt change. Change the uniforms, whatever but dont keep changing the logo. 2 THUMBS DOWN!!

Reply #134324 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

"Thats the logo (previous logo) that people recognise as the 36ers logo and it shouldnt change" - Couldn't agree more.

Reply #134347 | Report this post

Nugget  
Years ago

I'm a graphic designer and i dont think you can blame the designer as the client usually has the last say.

Reply #134355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dee-mak,
Maybe your a dismal graphic designer? That could be your problem. And FWIW, the 36ers last logo was designed by the NBL's graphic designers in 1998/99 when the NBL moved to Summer. The 36ers didn't have much of a say in the whole process. I think the last logo was very difficult to read and a complete rip off of Philly 76ers.

Reply #134373 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

The new logo is ok, but why have a white ball!?! White has never been in the 36ers colours until now. The text is fine, it's just the ball and how it's been designed is the weird part.

Reply #134376 | Report this post

much much  
Years ago

I like it, its clean, simple, easy to re-produce over a variety of different uses. All things a good logo should be. The most well known global logos are usually some of the simplest.

Reply #134394 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

they had white away strip some years ago.

Reply #134395 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

""Thats the logo (previous logo) that people recognise as the 36ers logo and it shouldnt change" - Couldn't agree more."

I disagree. If you've only been supporting the Sixers the last few years then this may be the case, but logos do change over time and IMO this new one is simple and effective. The last one looks like the type of logo you'd come up with in a year 5 logo designing competition at school, new one looks more professional which seems to be what Mal is looking for, running the club as a successful business rather than just a happy go lucky basketball team.

I think this new one is a grower, give it some time.

Reply #134405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anyone wanting wallpaper for their PC that features the new logo can find four options here: 36ers wallpaper.

Reply #134407 | Report this post

Hoops 99  
Years ago

Yeah they won 2 (maybe three) titles with a yellow away uniform so the yellow away obviously works, even if it is a massive coincidence. A Retro alternative uniform would be great, and would boost merchandise sales for the club. If they are changing the logo why not change everything (and dump and1 as the supplier, there a crappy brand).

Reply #134408 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think AND1 are back for 2007/08. The uniforms will stay dark blue, but are likely to be redesigned a bit AFAIK.

Reply #134409 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Kombat.

Reply #134417 | Report this post

Hoops 99  
Years ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOO ISC (makers of Perth, Sydney, Singapore) are so, so, SO much better than Kombat. Kombat produces junk most the time. Their uniforms are too busy and not simple. The Hawks uniform last year was a shocker, while Sydney and Perth's looks really professional and the closest NBA style uniforms the league had.

Reply #134430 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Are you sure it will be Kombat?

Reply #134436 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I've heard from the club that the home uniform next season will be a different design but will remain dark blue. I hope they stay with white away uniforms but yellow is ok. I think red is out of the question unless they make an alternative uniform because we already have a home colour and the away colour has to be light. A retro uniform would be awesome!

Reply #134447 | Report this post

lil monkey  
Years ago

I am also a graphic designer and have to agree with 'The client has the last say' The logo is simple, but I think it could be improved a little. Perhaps us graphic designers who have posted here should come up with our version?? (of course its not going to be used, but just for fun?)

Reply #134461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

give it a shot that sounds interesting.

Reply #134467 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I am with joshua the second logo looks the best.

Reply #134543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can understand those people who are finding it hard to embrace change having a 'thing' for the previous logo BUT
all you 'so called' graphic designers out there saying the old logo was better than this new one maybe should be looking for a new profession.

Reply #134585 | Report this post

lil monkey  
Years ago

Us so called 'graphic designers'are entitled to our opinion as is everyone on this forum. It's not about 'embracing change' it's about recognising what represents the club the best. I'm all for a new logo design, but IMO I think the current one could be tweaked a touch to improve it even more. But hey that's just a silly graphic designers opinion.

Reply #134663 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754