Isaac
Years ago

Bill Simmons: Trade Amare for Garnett

Bill Simmons doesn't think the Suns can beat the Spurs while Amare Stoudemire is up against Tim Duncan.

His solution is for the Suns to trade Amare and some draft picks for Kevin Garnett, more or less.

Let's say the Suns make this deal, package their other two No. 1 picks (No. 24 and No. 29) to move into the mid-teens for Acie Law IV (the most NBA-ready point guard in the draft), then spend their free agent exemption on an athletic swingman like Matt Barnes. Maybe they'd be paying the luxury tax, but screw it -- how many times can you put together a potential 70-win team that's a prohibitive title favorite and the top TV draw in the league?

Check out this nine-man nucleus: KG, Marion, Bell, Barbosa and Nash as the starters, with Noah, Diaw, Law and Barnes coming off the bench. They'd be covered for every conceivable situation (smallball, grind-it-out ball, run-and-gun, you name it) and they'd be led by two desperate superstars (KG and Nash) who'd basically be ready to give 10 years of their lives to win one title.

Would you bet against that team in the 2008 playoffs? Me neither.
Have a read and see what you think

Topic #11496 | Report this topic

123abc  
Years ago

No. Amare is too good of a player.

Reply #134178 | Report this post

Didnt bill simmons say phoenix were a lock for the title this year? what an idiot. Trade for a guy coming out of his prime for a guy who will be in his prime in 2 years. And the amount he's improved this year shows his potential. phoenix won't make this trade.

p.s if phoenix take Noah for their atl pick i'll stop supporting them.

Reply #134183 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Whats wrong with Noah

Would you rather Kwame Brown...lol

Reply #134218 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Why ELG? I think Noah would suit the Phx system well, big guy who moves very well, plays with passion, knows how to win.

Reply #134220 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Yeah, taking Noah would be stupid, he's got about as much offensive game as Desagna Diop. Although I don't think Simmon's is saying they should take him with their ATL pick.

I too don't think they should do this trade, in fact I think it would be stupid.

Amare is getting better and better each game he plays it seems, and I really don't want to see him become the best player in the NBA in an other teams uniform.

Reply #134223 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

I've just skimmed the article, but I wonder if Bill Simmons would change his opinion after watching game 5. Stoudemire made some massive plays down the stretch and did some pretty good defensive work at the other end of the floor. And did Simmons forget that Amare averaged 37 points against Duncan in their series two seasons ago?

The Suns just lost game 3 and Stoudemire played less than half the game. He plays 31 minutes and key periods in the 4th and the Suns win. His biggest weakness is picking up silly fouls Nick Horvath style but he'll only improve in this area as he matures and learns to rotate on defense better as well.

What is Stoudemire - 24? He still has some pretty good years ahead of him along as his micro-fractures don't stunt him again. KG has a few years on Amare. The Nash - Amare combination is awesome to watch, especially their pick and roll. I'd never think about trading Stoudemire - he's a rare breed - one of the best and most athletic finishes the NBA has ever seen and he's only going to get better as he gets smarter.

I did agree with Bill Simmons about this however:

"Congratulations to Greg Willard, Tim Donaghy and Eddie F. Rush for giving us the most atrociously officiated game of the playoffs so far Game 3 of the Suns-Spurs series... "

Reply #134230 | Report this post

I'd take Brewer. the type of player phoenix needs, perimetre shut down defender who can shoot the 3. like a way better version of james jones.

but thats if we get the pick.

Reply #134239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WOW! That does sound like a logic trade... but I cant see it goin thru...

Not all is lost though, Phoenix could possibly look like this next year.
-4th pick from ATL- Al Harford- Florida
-24th Pick from BOS via CLE- Javaris Crittenton- Georgia Tech (Steve Francis type)
-29th Pick- Glen 'Baby Shaq' Davis- LSU
- Grant Hill rumoured to be considering the Suns

PG: Nash, Banks, Crittenton
SG: Bell, Barbosa, Piatkowski
SF: Diaw, Hill, Jones
PF: Marion, Thomas, (Undrafted Freshman to play NBDL)
C: Amare, Harford, Davis

Reply #134248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ELG glad your not with the Suns front office
"perimetre shut down defender who can shoot the 3"

Shawn Marion top five in the voting for defensive player of the year and Raja Bell first team. Both have been known to knock down a three.

Reply #134255 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

PIATKOWSKI??? IS HE STILL ALIVE???

Reply #134257 | Report this post

Thanks anonymous for your great comment. im very aware that bell and marion can hit a 3. bell led the league in them. brewer fits the phoenix bill perfectly.

Reply #134351 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

Obviously the defensive efforts of marion and bell aren't enough, Brewer would be perfect.

The trade seems logical to me. Amare cant score in a 1 on 1 situation, he points come from baseline cuts, alley oops and the occasional jump shot (same as Marion) - all generated from Nash. Unless the suns can get a first rate point gaurd to replace Nash when he retires and continue to make make Amare and Marion offesive threats they wont have a chance at winning a championship. With KG at Phoenix he will be an absolute monster with Nash and they should be the champs until Nash retires (plus they wouldnt have to worry about Amare's defense anymore.) With Mike James running the show at Minessota Amare would be a dud.

Reply #134364 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:13 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754