Stats Room
Years ago

Forestville Men - Recent Results

Talk about ABL seems a bit quieter this year than in past, I was wondering whether it was because of the readier availability of stats on the Central ABL Website (well done Paul and Basketball SA).

Anyway, I have been looking at results recently and looked at Forestville's last 6 games, starting with their win over Norwood.
They have averaged a 47 point winning margin (123/76)in that period (Yes I know that doesn't include Sturt or North, with games coming up in next 2-3 weeks), but that is some impressive numbers.

They are shooting 13% better than their opposition and then getting 18 rebounds per game more as well.

Now they have got used to playing together with Oakley (and the return of Campbell, Arnold & Breeding) they don't look they are missing a beat following Dix's retirement.
Even with Dusty at North, I think (in their current form) Eagles are going to be very hard to beat.

Topic #11553 | Report this topic

Blue Collar  
Years ago

I was thinking the same thing this morning after checking the result of the Eastern game.

The Eagles are certainly looking a class above at the moment and have proven they have the killer instinct to completely dominate teams. Even when they are up by 40, they are relentless at both ends of the floor, proof that the culture within the group is strong.

You can also be certain that despite the recent results, the squad would be training as hard or harder then every other squad in the comp.

Having said all that, they have truck loads of talent too...

Reply #134952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing is when they are up by 30 in te last quarter, most teams then play their bench and rookies, whereas they dont.

Reply #134960 | Report this post

Basket 22  
Years ago

I disagree, whilst 1 of there players only got 6 mins the rest all averaged and were around the mark of 21 - 24 mins

Reply #134963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#134960,

It might just look that way because their bench is still better than a lot of other team's starters. Deepest team in the comp.

Reply #134968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think North are deeper, the match up in a couple weeks time will be one to watch, North got them by 23 last time but Forestville are in good shape of late

Reply #134971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how come b.campbell only just starting playing again? where was he at earlier in season?

Reply #135006 | Report this post

Alan Shaw  
Years ago

Forestville OR North?

Hambour vs Hoban
Rychart vs Oakley
E. Burdon vs Arnold
Zorich vs Sutton
Kersten vs Sullivan

Kies vs Campbell
Groves vs McDonald-Taylor
Rowe vs Fildes
L. Burdon vs Breeding
Quigley vs Haydon

At this stage, I'm still picking North at full strength over Forestville.

Reply #135014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what i have heard, Brenton was not going to play this year, but when youngster Harry Harvey quit about 3 weeks ago due to year 12 committments I think the Eagles asked him if he was keen to replace Harry as back up point for the rest of the year and obviously he said yes.

Having the time off doesn't seem to have hurt his game... was probably good for him.

Reply #135043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alan, I'll take Forestville still. andy Symonds has proved time and time again to be a great coach that can take his team to new levels even with a lot of talent - best coach in the league IMO. Campbell is better than any player on that North bench by a long shot, Breeding a veteran, Hayden a lot better than most people would know etc etc. I think forestville are the team to beat right now

Reply #135068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just think it is great that we have 4 clubs that I believe are on par with each other and are all a very good chance of winning this year. In the past there is usually a favourite, then a second favouite and then a dark horse, but this year I have no idea who is going to win it out of North, Norwood, Sturt and Forestville. And all 4 are at a very high standard. Don't think they would win SEABL but all 4 would push for finals spots!

Still picking North due to Dusty tho!

Reply #135086 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Am I the only one who thinks that, on paper, Sturt have no right to feature in that sort of list, let alone have a positive win-loss ratio? Massive overachievers this season, IMO. I would've picked them for bottom 2-4, but they are doing surprisingly well.

Reply #135091 | Report this post

Mickey Abbot  
Years ago

I agree with Isaac, the Sabres shouldnt be considered in the same league as North, Forrestville and Norwood.

Too young and inexperienced (both on the court and on the sidelines) and reliant on a single player.

They are certainly having a nice season so far though.

Reply #135101 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Hold on.. Sturt have:

Darren Ng
Marcus Ng (having the year of his life) (the top 2 scoring tandem in the ABL)
Jordan Dodman
Mark Paget (academy - big)
Marcus Hakendorf (been solid for many years now)

and that is a pretty balanced starting 5, with some guys who have been waiting years and years to get a chance coming off the bench.

Not a huge surprise, but still some of their results have been.

Reply #135109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree! The Ng/Ng back court combination is the most lethel in the league in terms of scoring power. Throw in the most consistant big man in the league in Dodman and you have 3 key players to build a team around. and their surporting cast is nothing to be ashamed of. At the end of the day, the NG's and Dodman are going to play majority of minutes, whilst other teams might have more depth(which I assume you mean by what a team looks like on paper Isacc), you can only have 5 on the court at once, and with the season so short, these 3 can afford to play all game without getting burnt out.

Also they seem to have one of the best defences going around which their coach should get praise for.

What else do you people want. They just beat the top team!

Don't be surprised if you find this Sturt team playing in a pre lim final and even a GF this year.

Reply #135110 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Even without Darren Ng, their results:

W 99-95 over South
L 79-89 to North (without Rychart)
W 114-83 over Woodville
L 83-87 to Forestville (Sturt also without Dodman and Hakendorf)

Not too horrible. The coach must be doing something right.

How many would have rated Paget last year? I wouldn't have - too raw - he barely even got a run then. Same with Breheny for that matter. I'd never even heard of Braham or one of the other kids. And how much of a beating did M.Ng cop last season? Barely anyone at all spoke up in his defense when his 36ers selection was heavily criticised.

I'm surprised the Tigers have not been doing better actually.

Reply #135111 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Yeah the Tigers caper is the mystery of the season.

Reply #135146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think i would say that I would take a massive improvements of Paget, Marcus Ng, Dodman than having Gower and Forman back. They just seem to be playing much better as a team this year. Sure, their success heavily depends on a small few to get the scoring done, but the others seem to be getting it done down the defensive end and chipping in here and there down the offensive end.

Lets put it this way, if this Sturt team as it is now, and playing as it is now, played in last years season, I think they would have had the same result....that is made the grand final but probably lost to Forestville. Meaning that with their losses in some areas but improvements in others, they are probably around the same as they were last year. This year tho, with North thrown in the mix, and with Norwood playing an overall better than last year, it will be harder for them to reach the grand final, but certainly not out of the question. They are one game out of first...its going to be a cracker finals series this year a feel!

Reply #135152 | Report this post

Mickey Abbot  
Years ago

Isaac,

A coaches "scheme" is only as good as the players who carry them out. I think any credit for the Sturt teams' success this year should be credited mostly to the players.

Except for their first game; where they were handed their arses on a platter by a superior team, they have shown to be quite competitive every week...obviously a few of them are playing with a bit of a chip on their shoulder and a point to prove.

Reply #135159 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The only one I'd say has anything of an attitude (AFAIK) and point to prove is Vaughno - the rest are pretty much prototypical role players (Hakendorf, Bauer, Palmer, etc), surely?

Dodman strikes me as the type to just get out there and play and M. Ng would just be pushing himself. I'd imagine that the younger guys are simply well drilled and they all play a good team game.

Last year, I don't know that they had to work as much for their results and ultimately it probably hurt them a bit?

Reply #135166 | Report this post

Mickey,

I haven't seen them play, have you? The scorelines seem to suggest sturt boys seem to have been consistently improving all yr. Would this be a fair call. Yes the success is only as good as the players. What if what those players are learning and the system is also improving their chances?

Reply #135178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coach needs to get praise, because if a team is going badly its often the coach that gets the blame, so they should get the praise for doing well.

God point about Sturt maybe not having to work as hard for their results last year Isacc. Not sure if it hurt them tho as I don't think they worked any less than the eagles did for their wins.

Reply #135201 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Campbell complained to me that he could only get through half a game cos he's unfit...

2 Games:
ave 22 minutes
52 FG @ 55.2%
10/19 3s @ 52.6%
10/14 FT @ 71.4%

Imagine if he was fit! Argh!!!

Reply #135245 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

Well all things must come to an end, Panthers have swept the Eagles in 2007, with a 99/93 win at Wayville.

I guess we will hear how badly Forestville played tonight and that they were due for a bad one.

Still Panthers won't care much because the results will still show that they were able to hold the Eagles to under 100 in both games.

Reply #135694 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:00 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754