Alan Shaw
Years ago

36ers Port Lincoln Trip

Who do you think would be in line for a 36ers call up and invited to the Port Lincoln trip (thats if its going ahead)

Personally I think Anthony Spadavecchia would be a shoe in!

Topic #11564 | Report this topic

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Forget the Squad, Todd Matthews deserves a spot in the team!

Reply #135084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a norwood fan, and even i agree with that.

Matthews deserves a spot.

Reply #135090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they were going to pick a small guard they would have signed B. Cambell a couple of years ago. Mathews and Spud will never play NBL, so why put them in the squad!

Reply #135093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate Norwood, but yes I agree to.

Only one problem, you already have Maher, Sutton, Davidson, Ng

Where do you fit him??

Reply #135095 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Given that there are already a number of guards, I looked at the top rebounders in the league.

Oakley, Pilkington (age?), Rychart (contracted), Breheny, Mapunda, Hambour, Truslove, Clayton, Bungey, Cooper, Molitor, Gerlach, etc.

Breheny, Mapunda, Bungey, Molitor? Also, Lalic, Clausen, Fuller, etc?

How would people rate them as NBL potential, even at a stretch?

Reply #135106 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

I'll have a crack at rating them for you Issac.

Breheny - let's give him another year at ABL level at least to back up what has been a solid overall performance this season. Odds of going to Pt Lincoln = 25/1.

Mapunda - almost 200cm but plays at about 182cm. Good handles, athletic but shoots a lot of attempts at ABL level for not a huge production. Streaky shooter. Odds = 25/1

Bungey - Legit inside player. Blocks shots, rebounds well, has a turn around post move that is unguardable at ABL level. Well documented mental fragility is the only problem to overcome. Someone get him to a psych!!! Odds = 5/1

Molitor - Christ himself!(joke for those readers of the Messenger Newspaper) But seriously, a dangerous player all over the floor who rebounds well and shoots a very good clip. Has the size to go at the next level. Odds 8/1

Lalic - went to Pt Lincoln last year and showed he can go. A tough defender and hard worker, would be worth another look to see how he has developed over the last 12 months. Odds 3/1

Fuller - Works harder then most but doesn't have the size or outside threat to go at the next level. Odds 100/1

Clausen - Athlete, decent rebounder but haven't seen his form this year. Odds 40/1 but look to shorten.

Reply #135116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think rebounding should even be considered as the state league is a very small league and this stat is not indicative of the player's rebounding potential at NBL level. And every player there is at a ridiculously far stretch!

Reply #135117 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Take Dean Lukin at least they will get a feed. He knows the area well.

Reply #135121 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, it was the quickest way to get a list of bigger players in the league. Obviously many are going to be undersized or unavailable.

Blue Collar, nice assessment. Molitor strikes me as the one with the goods to get to the NBL - height, can shoot, and not afraid to put it up. Bungey next and I am a fan of his game, but needs to overcome what's holding him back. I rate Mapunda a little higher than you do - he's come through the Academy so he'd be on the radar. I could see them trying Breheny even through lack of alternatives. How tall is he?

Reply #135123 | Report this post

Grote 26  
Years ago

I thought last year they said that this season they wouldn't be going to Port Lincoln.

Reply #135127 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Could be a 4-6 week trip to gel....
Round 7 here we come!!!

Reply #135131 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Who gives a crap who they take as long as they have a tonne of cash so they can play poker with the rest of the lads.

Reply #135135 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Matthews would have to be an inch or 2 taller than B Campbell. Take Sutton out, put Matthews in. Easy

Reply #135144 | Report this post

Phil McKracken  
Years ago

Matthews should be shopping himself around to the likes of the Blaze, Slingers

Reply #135145 | Report this post

knackers  
Years ago

Who said he wasn't Phil?

Reply #135157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard rumor he might play for NAKC. Hope your teams doing well Knackers

As for Matthews I hope he is as he could play back up point guard for someone in this league.

Reply #135161 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Wonder if Mark Frost will get invited to Port Lincoln again?!

If he does, maybe we'll hear about it for the next fifteen years.
But, if he doesn't go, we'll still keep hearing about the last time he went for at least the next five. (Enter sarcastic grin here) ;-)

Reply #135192 | Report this post

Coops  
Years ago

Well, in my opinion you need to look a who can compete at that level in terms of scoring, rebounding, and mostly defense! how would you rate these guys with the above catagories?

Oakley, Pilkington, Breheny, Mapunda, Hambour, Truslove, Clayton, Bungey, Molitor.
(taken from previous reply)

Reply #135203 | Report this post

Just no height  
Years ago

Out of that group I think Oakley and Mapunda are the two worth looking at.

Oakley can play 3,4,or 5 if needed. Can shoot, defend smaller players, is a very good rebounder and is a great team man....exactly what the sixers need!

Mapunda can play the 2,3 spots. Has improved out of sight. Has found good range, is explosive and and has shown that he is lively on the boards. Still some improvement needed but on the right track.

Molitor is the most overrated player going around. Never seen him do anything. Too small to play big, too slow to play small. Sure he can hit the open one but how many players can do that? Never...not in this life time.

Bungey would be close but he really is a 5 man and is probably too small for that position. Having said that he would be a similar height to Dodman so why not have another look at him? Both are probably never really going to have a any real impact at NBL level.

Hambour has had his chance and wasn't up to it. Is a very good contributor ant ABL level but is probably lke Bungey too small and he doesn't have consistant range to make it.

Truslove is passed his prime, and he already has shown that his prime wasn't good enough to make any substantial impact at NBL level.

Lalic....too small...no range....soft?

Pilkington is having a solid year for the Panthers. Think he might be leading the league in offensive rebounds. He is athletic and is quick for his size but would really be a 3 man at NBL level and has virtually no range, not consistant enough for NBL anyway. His attitude seems to be better but he just doesn't have it to step up to the next level.

Clayton...thats funny!

Breheny is having a break out year but he is way undersized in height and weight. To small to be a 4 or 5 man at NBL. Has good touch around the basket but struggles with the bigger bodies. If he keeps improving at the rate at which he is, gets a lot more muscle and improves his lateral movement possibly at the 4 spot he might be worth looking at in 3 years...but no way right now.

Hoban is a very solid player and probably underrated. i rate him up there with or maybe just behind Hambour, Bungey and Dodman. Could be worth taking to Pt Lincoln. I would certainly take him ahead of Lalic. he is taller and stronger and he might not have the numbers as Lalic, but he doesn't need to in the team he is in. Very good role player which is what the sixers need, but again probably too small to make the next step.

Paget like Breheny is a work in progress. Give him 3 years to keep improving his game and body and you never know.

McKenzie is a poor mans Mapunda. Has improved and is a good all round player but will never play NBL.

If only Big Dougie was taller!

Reply #135314 | Report this post

Sherlock Holmes  
Years ago

I think Jye Watson deserves a crack at, if nothing else, as live bait for the white pointers in Boston Bay.

Reply #135431 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Isaac, Breheny is about 6'6-6'7.
Not overly large, he is laterally quick which is what helps him rebound at ABL level, he would be far too undersized to play NBL in either 4 or 5 spots.

He would also be too light to compete against the heavier frontcourts in the League.

Great bloke though, hope he continues to improve in ABL, im looking for a 20-10 double by the end of the year.....

Reply #135487 | Report this post

Which Coac??  
Years ago

If only he was given a go whilst at sturt. Which coach/es was that?

Great guy and hope he continues to improve.

Reply #135492 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last year? Rick Castle. Playing behind Forman, Smylie and Gower. Even Dodman didn't play a lot of minutes.

Good that he's getting a decent shot now though. SJ must be loving it!

Reply #135506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Isaac, last year the coach was Paul Bauer.

Reply #135526 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Duh, of course.

Keep thinking of a time I saw Breheny get a run at Starplex - that was 2005 when he was behind Forman (best ABL year of his career), Gower (at his peak?) and Finkemeyer who had a decent year also.

Reply #135530 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:36 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754