Isaac
Years ago

NBA Bargains

Was wandering around HoopsHype today and spotted Luol Deng at $2.6m. Walter Herrmann at $1.8m. Josh Smith at $1.4m. (Gotta exclude guys like Chris Webber costing the Pistons sub-$1m!)

What other bargains are out there?

Topic #11614 | Report this topic

mark  
Years ago

Deng and Smith are both still on their rookie contracts. I'm not sure about Smith, but Deng is eligable for a contract extension this offseason, so I doubt he will be a bargain for much longer.

Hermann was a great pickup, based on his late season production. However I heard a quote from him that he no longer loves playing basketball and it is just a job, so it remains to be seen how much longer he will be motivated to perform like that.

Reply #135724 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Walter will be candidate for 6th man next year with my Cats. His last 2 months of the season where great.

I read an interview recently about how much he's enjoying basketball since he went from training fodder to starter.

Walter has gone through hell when lost his mother, 2 younger sisters and girlfriend in a car collision. Exactly one year later, his father died of a heart attack.

Here is the link to the interview (in Spanish, rough English translation below):

http://www.ole.com.ar/notas/2007/04/24/01405781.html

- what an end of season! did you expect to play that much after playing little for most of the season?

- I was waiting for a chance, but not playing that much. It was incredible to go from only training to starter. At the beginning I thought the level was too high for me and then, after training and playing, I realized it wasn't. I was ready to play one and a half month before being a starter.

- How do you explain it?

- I took advantage of the few minutes I got at the beginning, thus my confidence increased and the same happened to the coach

- What's your balance?

- Very positive. I even think that I should have done the jump to NBA from Fuenlabrada instead of Unicaja.

- Why?

- I was 3 years under (coach Sergio) Scariolo's system, which was very structured and didn't benefit me. Nowadays, I play in the NBA the way I like.

- then that's the key of your uprising

- Yes, it's conclusive. We have systems in Charlotte, where I start open or I do a cut, but I have the chance to play my game. I'm given freedom to penetrate or take a shoot and nothing happens. At Unicaja I had a lot of inhibitions. I was even fined for taking the ball with one hand when going to the rim. Scariolo thought I was defying him and, as a matter of fact, I'm more confident with one hand than 2. The freedom I have here is a key, it's not a coincidence I started playing that well.

- what do you think the coach valued the most from you?

- The attitude every time I played. He praised my intensity on attack and especially the defense. I try not to let my rival play, being intense and playing physical.

- Too bad Bernie Bickerstaff won't be the coach next season

- Well yes... we knew that since 2 months ago, he told us he's leaving. I think they want me to stay but I don't know which coach will come and which players will they sign.

- But what do you foresee?

- It looks like I'm staying here, but you never know... I'll just know after June 30 th, by law the first day to add players

- and what do you want?

- Staying here. I'm very comfortable, I know the city and I have a good relationship with my teammates. Maybe I'd sign for a little more money somewhere else (note: his option is set at 1,944,000 dollars), but I'm not really interested.

Playoffs started and Charlotte is not there (they ended 11 in the East with a 33-49 record), but Herrmann is happy anyway, eager to start the next season.

- what was the best of the past season?

- first to accomplish my goal, which was play in the NBA. And then to experiment this freedom to play. My style is respected here and I feel as comfortable as in Fuenlabrada. Out of basketball, to know another culture, learning a language. When I came here I was a disaster, they laughed at me... Now I understand and I can have a conversation

There's not only basketball in life. Walter is also comfortable with the group.

- which players do you have a best relation with?

- all of them. there are no stars here, or special treatments. Anyway, at first I was closer to Primoz Brezec, who, since he's european, has a most understandable english. Then Brevin Knight, who sits at my side in the plane and talks a lot to me. Also Gerald Wallace...

- which is your role in the group? are you the funny guy or do they make fun of you?

- they laugh at me because of teh accent and because I don't speak English well. They make fun of me because I listen to "cuarteto" (a popular music style in Argentina), they think it's salsa or merengue... they place behind me and dance... Also because I look like that Fabio, an Italian model-actor who did a lot of soap operas and is very famous here.

- and are you a lookalike?

- Nooo, only the hair. But they also say that I dress like him, more european, not with big ample clothes like here.

- do you have a nickname from the guys?

- no, they asked me if I had any and I told them I didn't have any nickname. I told them Walter but they call me Fabio

- and do they compare you to another player?

- Since I did a couple plays with a single hand, just like Doctor J, they call me like that. Or "Dr H.". Other people, because of the 3pt I made against Miami and Cleveland call me Big Shoot.

Reply #135728 | Report this post

um arent those all rookies/rookie contracts.

Reply #135763 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

still on his rookie contract but Josh Howard was on 1.5 mill this year but takes the comfortable raise to 9 next year

Reply #135785 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

What about Chauncy Billups, on 6 mil per. Will probably max out after this season, though.

Also Steve Nash, close to getting 3 MVPs and only on 10 mil per. Not exaclty cheap, but a bargain nonetheless when compared to guys like Starbury and Jalen Rose.

I think as a team to get a bargain you need a guy to excell AFTER he has finished his rookie contract. If he excels while on his rookie contract, he will get a massive paycheck. So it kinda worked out well for the pistons in that Chauncy was injured/bounced around teams so he signed a low contract.

Reply #135833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:20 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754