HoopDreamin
Years ago

College opportunities with the Flames!

Re: this

Hi, I am a little bit ignorant to the opportunities at US Colleges. I'm wondering if the poster (or anyone in the know) of the following could help me out.

I read this post with interest the other day. I noticed the statement "It forms part of the Norwood Flames' long-term plan for its elite junior players, and we actively engage the recruitment process."

I was just wondering what Norwood do for their players when they actively engage in the recruitment process? Does this imply that players at Norwood have better chances at gaining Div 1 NCAA College Scholarships?

What level of competition are these players considered to be playing at Internationally? I mean will they come back into long term NBL careers as a result? How much does it cost their parents to send them over and what will their degree be worth in Australia at the end the process? I mean will they become Doctors, Teachers, Accountants, Lawyers with their degrees or NBL players as a result of the level of experience they gain in the US?

Topic #11634 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I hope you're not trolling.

When Telstra advertise fast movie downloads on their Bigpond network, they're not necessarily any faster than other ISPs. They're simply plugging their service.

Reply #135966 | Report this post

HoopDreamin  
Years ago

Isaac, no I am not. I can guarantee you that I am genuinely interested in everyone's opinions.

Reply #135968 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is that how the other day people were genuinely interested in the concept of poaching?

Higher level talent might get approached by college teams. Mid level talent might need to be shopped around or given assistance, I'd assume. If someone or a club make that a bit of a focus, so be it - either a real or a perceived point of difference.

Reply #135972 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

It's great that more and more players are looking to US College. They can get a free or subsidised degree and play basketball at a high level while doing it. There are a heap of young Sturt players that are looking to go that way (some are being actively recruited now), and we are helping by developing them as basketballers and citizens, providing contacts, and advising them on the best school for them when the time is right.

It is wrong for any club, Sturt, Norwood, whoever to suggest that players have a greater chance of getting a scholarship if you "play for us". Players from virtually every club are currently or have been in the US College system. Everyone has contacts. Every club has people that will help out. At the end of the day, the individual colleges will make up their own minds. We (the clubs) can help prepare them for that level of competition, help them in contacting potential colleges and provide advice to help them with their decisions.

Reply #135973 | Report this post

Frog 26  
Years ago

SB - how are you helping your players "develop as citizens"? What specific things are you doing to achieve this?

Reply #135975 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

We help with goal setting and time management so that they can do well at basketball, at school and also have time for friends and family. Achieving this balance will make them better at everything they do. The best US College programs look favourably upon good players who are also good human beings.

Reply #135984 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I agree SB. Developing basketballers will also develop citizens by improving social skills, teamwork skills, discipline etc

Reply #136003 | Report this post

college  
Years ago

College for Austrlians is all about the experience. Obviously at college they train everyday, which improves the players skills greatly, and to play infront of larger crowds also helps. Time managment is also a big part of college, because the players have a good balance of study and basketball. Comparing it to adelaide, where the players have to juggle their own time with basketball and uni; which gets difficult sometimes.
Rupert is obviously encouraging the kids to go play college, and I think Sam and Max have both come back improved, and i'm sure they had a great time over there. They got their education and living paid for and got to play some high level basketball in a very professional manner. Win win situation if you ask me.

Reply #136089 | Report this post

Flinders 28  
Years ago

But that's not to say a particular kid couldn't have had the same opportunities at another club.

Seriously, if your selling point at a club is that you can offer better college opportunities, your club is ridiculously awful.

Besides, there's a kid from the persons ex-club (same age as Max) who is at college right now.

North, Southern, Sturt & Centrals all have or have had in very recent years people play college ball. What makes Rupert & Norwood so special?

It's just a horrible premise for recruiting a player. And the fashion it was done in... well, we won't go in to it.

Reply #136101 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

Eastern has a boy there too at Augusta State Uni.

Reply #136163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd just like to set one thing straight. Rupert, while he does encourage his younger players to look into playing in college, he does not use this as an enticement to draw other players over to Norwood. In his initial post where he wished Max and Sam the best of luck, he was simply stating his, and the club's position on what they believe to be an effective course for their developing players to take. And as I, and no doubt most of the players who have played or are playing college, will tell you, the vast majority of the leg work (ie sending tapes, emails, letters doing research and making phone calls) is done by the players themselves, with guidance and advice given by the coaches who have the experience. In short, whether a player does or does not play college, in most cases, hinges more on the ability of the player and their desire to personally do the ground work, not the club they play for. Lastly, for those who question the longterm value of sending kids off to college, the majority of whom will never play a minute of professional basketball, I would suggest a closer look at what you define as "value". Athletic and academic accomplishment aside, spending an extended period of time overseas in an environment that encourages and nurtures the social and intellectual development of a young man or woman cannot be seen as anything but a positive. And, if they don't like it, they can always come home.

Reply #136191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Rupert, while he does encourage his younger players to look into playing in college, he does not use this as an enticement to draw other players over to Norwood."

Yeah right...tell that to Centrals!

Reply #136213 | Report this post

FairEnough  
Years ago

#136191, From the outset; sincerely, thanks for clearing that up. I do respect the fact that someone has finally associated themselves with the actions discussed and openly discuss what occurred.

Whilst I cannot agree with the first part of your post, we can finally agree on most of the things in the 2nd part of your post.

I really do appreciate your post though and thankyou for what you say. It's good to have some common ground for once, as they say there is a first time for everything.

Reply #138111 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:30 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754