Suds McDuff
Years ago

Referee Co-ordinator

I have been led to believe that the new ref's co-ordinator has been appointed.
does anyone know who he/she is and what is their background???

Topic #1164 | Report this topic

Vader  
Years ago

Not that BASA could tell ya.

Neil Poulton. Umpired at the Athens Olympics, in BASEBALL!!!

Reply #13040 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

Does big Kev impression "I'm excited!"

Nah, sounds great, someone who has officiated in any sport at an Olympic level has my instant respect.

Reply #13050 | Report this post

SAW  
Years ago

Just curious; how does zero tolerance in basketball compare to baseball!!

Reply #13053 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

I have even less of an idea about baseball than i do about basketball.

When you say Zero Tolerance you mean that you will not tolerate anything - therefore it doesn't matter what sport you're talking about. No means no.

Reply #13055 | Report this post

K-Time Bars  
Years ago

I guess now our Charge calls will be strike outs and the blocks will become balls. Coaches must change the way they coach to not saying a word and just touching their hats or spitting.

Reply #13075 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

Play innings instead of quarters. :P

Reply #13077 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

And if a team gets 10 points up, game over! :D

Reply #13105 | Report this post

SAW  
Years ago

Re: my comment on zero tolerance. I think some of the funniest things you see in sport is baseball where the coaches argue with the refs nose to nose. The ref brushes clean the plate, the coach kicks sand back onto it, the ref cleans in until he has had enough. (and these are supposedly grown men!) Seems to me they are pretty tolerant of behaviour which far exceeds what happens in basketball.

On a serious note the thinking outside of the square with this appointment is a good move. New, fresh ideas on how to progress cannot be bad.

Reply #13121 | Report this post

redsox  
Years ago

is he a fat guy that chews gum, wears a cap and has hypertensive arguments ?

Reply #13157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unless he brings 20+ refs with him we'll still have solos like we are right now.

Reply #13158 | Report this post

K-Time Bars  
Years ago

Jirachi

You stated "While a baseball umpire isn't the best background for the job they really had no choice"

Here is a choice, Up the salary for the position as everybody knows it is not a 1.0 job and more like a 1.8 job. The increased salary may have convinced an ex national umpire to take on the job. 30-35K a year is a pitance of what should be paid.

Reply #13159 | Report this post

K-Time Bars  
Years ago

Good Point. Wish they would have though, then we might've got some real talented Basketball people apply

Reply #13163 | Report this post

K-Time Bars  
Years ago

Sorry cant agree with you on that one. Adelaide is a big place to be divided into two regions. The third does country. If we want them to do a good job of getting out to schools and promoting basketball then you need to have at least four.

Reply #13174 | Report this post

John Q  
Years ago

who is the development manager??

what does he do?

what is BASA's development plan and where can I get hold of it?

Reply #13178 | Report this post

father xmas  
Years ago

(Mod: I deleted it the first time because it's inappropriate. I'm doing the same thing this time for the same reason. Ho ho ho.)

Reply #17036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey santa!

Reply #17044 | Report this post

daft vader  
Years ago

in baseball - if anyone was reported - automatic suspension - no trial - only penalty

neil if you read this - can you enlighten us ?

I agree 30-35k is mediocre salary - but i do not know what it entails

Reply #17065 | Report this post

shooter  
Years ago

seems like the new guy is working as though he only earns $30k
Does anyone feel things are going to improve under our baseball friend?

Reply #23476 | Report this post

On the inside  
Years ago

Many things have changed already. Obviously the workload is too big as a number of things have been missed but at least he's trying and I'm sure his actual work hours would surprise you.

Reply #23488 | Report this post

Master P  
Years ago

BASA dont do anything really with development, they send out people to do development work, but all its about is participation and numbers so that they can keep getting funding to assist basa's ever growing mystry funds. They let there most qualified development officers leave and the development manager is Danny O'Brian, who has a lawyers background and no real coaching knowledge. So development isnt really BASA's thing. They have however promoted Aussie Hoops well to get youngsters involved, but this is really a shinnyer version of Oz Ball from a few years back

Reply #61538 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754