ANON12
Years ago

Mock NBA Draft - What chance Newley?

From the NBA Website comes three mock 2007 NBA Draft selections.
1. nbadraft.net lists the Top 60 names - Brad Newley not on the list.
2. hoopshype.com lists the Top 60 names - suggests Brad Newley could be selected at NO. 57 by the Detroit Pistons.
3. insidehoops.com lists the Top 30 names - no Brad Newley. However, does list Brad Newley (Australia) as a possible second round selection.
Appears that Brad is not highly rated so maybe he will be in a 36er uniform after all.

Topic #11640 | Report this topic

SVD  
Years ago

Chad Ford (NBA Insider ESPN) who is viewed as the one of (if not the most comprehsive Mock Drafter) does not have Newley in his Top 100 and does not have him as getting drafted.

He has him listed (under Country) as Second Round to Undrafted. Unless he dominates in the Pre-draft camp(s) then I can't see it happening.

I think they will look at him as 1. not strong enough and 2. not good enough shooter.

I think he is great and would love for him to get drafted but I just can't see it happening.

One the off chance it does happen I would suggest it will be like CJ when he got drafted. Getting cut before the season starts and either playing D-League (or coming back here).

Reply #136077 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

when is the draft?

Reply #136084 | Report this post

Darko  
Years ago

Brads definately a good enough shooter, its just a pull up mid range game that needs to be developed.

Strength is also a concern (gaurding athletic 2/3 men esp), but hell the kid is only 22. That will come with time.

He will go late in the second round!

Goodluck

Reply #136086 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

and guys like lebron are how old? he will be expected to be able to hold his own against that kind of player. I would love for it to happen but realistically it must be an outside chance.

Reply #136093 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Yes, all guys taken 2nd round are expected to take on LeBron straight away....

We'll get a better idea in a couple of days time where he may be taken, with the Pre-Draft Camp starting tomorrow. If he can have a good showing there, then he'll almost be a lock for the second round.

Reply #136098 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

True Kent, if Newley was 19 you could say that "the kid is only 19". The only 22 year olds that get taken in the draft these days are not development players. They are polished, low risk NBA ready guys with 4 years of college experience.

Reply #136099 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The draft is June 28 I think.

Reply #136108 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

My Birthday!

Reply #136111 | Report this post

david  
Years ago

How tough is the process to make it into the NBA. Pre-draft camp, maybe go second round, then fight to keep your spot on the roster. I think it will be tough for him as other people have mentioned. I hope whichever team does draft him give him a good enough chance. Australia needs another peforming player in the NBA, it could start a decent trend and in the long run make basketball in Australia higher profile.

Reply #136113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a lot of international players that don't get drafted til late in their careers. This is not Brads one and only chance. It is however a good shot to get into the system, and even if he goes 2 nd round and then to D league and/or Europe, if he performs well there he will have more opportunties to make the NBA.

I do hope however that he does not come back to play for the sixers, Could not think of anything worse for his carreer!

Reply #136114 | Report this post

bones  
Years ago

That would be 14 then 123abc?

Reply #136124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well bad luck beacuse he has signed an agreement that if he doesnt get drafted in the NBA and no other option arises that interest him, he will be heading back home.

Reply #136127 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I'm serious, it actually is my birthday and i am quite alot older 13/14.

Reply #136138 | Report this post

As it is...  
Years ago

Im actually shocked at just how little I care about your sweet 16th 123abc....

Newley is just barley below the NBA standard. As far as his other options, I assume he will be in Sixers colours next season. IF he was to go to Europe, he would have to be an 'Import'...not going to happen with all the other talent that is available worldwide. Someone would have to put up big money for him, not going to be enough, considering what Adelaide have signed him for.

With the very physical style that is the Euro league, and the fact everyone knows he can already score...heavily, all Newley can realistically show in the Euro league is that he is floored physically. No need to risk it when he can show off all of his positive attributes in a league he is already comfortable dominating.

Reply #136180 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think his apparent lack of strength you all mentioned will have little impact in the draft. He has been noted by NBA scouts to have improved his strenth, and lets look at guys like Adam Morrison, the guy from Sacramento who had a breakout year, there are so many who are wires in that league.

It'll depend on how he performs in his individual workouts and at the draft camps.

And I'd say there would be a heap of European teams who would love to have him on their roster, a whole heap. Forget about the talent around the world, a guy that is considered to be a good chance to get drafted to the NBA in the 2nd round would get a gig in Europe no worries.

Here's hoping he's in Adelaide next year!

Reply #136205 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

twenty four who would he be playng against then?

Teams dont put players on rosters and say " this will be the perfect for us we can use to play against other bench players"

If you take a roster spot you need to be able to hold your own against all the other players in your position in the league.

D League is for the development not an NBA roster spot.

Reply #136211 | Report this post

stef#4  
Years ago

This years draft is supposed to be a really strong group as much as i would like for brad to make it i doubt it though. he's got a tough road ahead

Reply #136266 | Report this post

Dragons_Man  
Years ago

:D The 28th is my B'day too! Its on the 28th every year, but it'll be shown in the morning on the 29th here, usually about 10am. I should be home by 10am :P, so i'll get to see it lol

Reply #136267 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

what 'As It Is...' said. Agree 120%

oh and the part in the post about Newley, I agree 100% with that.

Reply #136273 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

Just followed through from RealGM's draft Forum and found this article in Draft Express where Brad is ranked to 57 (which would be to the Pistons - there you go Bizzy!).
Today's article is on Official Measurments etc. and Newley is also rated as one of their highest ranked "mock" players involved this year.

http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2085

Reply #136349 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Kent, lots of 2nd rounders would spend time in the D-L. That's my point. A guy that gets taken mid-late second round isn't expected to log big minutes, if any at all, for a while. They eventually work their way into a spot.

And lots of those who do get selected late get shipped of somewhere in Europe for a couple of years anyway.

Reply #136362 | Report this post

hurley509  
Years ago

I think Newleys a sporting chance... ive read a few of the first day reveiws and alot of people are saying hes the best international player there.... but if he doesnt make the NBA i guess itl make the 6ers worth following again! lol

Reply #136446 | Report this post

Years ago

As you were writing b4 that 2nd round people dont play alot of minutes? well then. Michael Redd was drafted in the 2nd round and was #43 overall, and he is a star player?

Reply #136447 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

Yu can also add Glbert Arenas (30-2001), Manu Ginobili (57-1999) & Carlos Boozer (34-2002)who also were all 2nd Round Picks in recent years.

Reply #136459 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:05 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754