Kent Brockman
Years ago

Should the points cap limit be reduced?

Was just thinking about Slingers and who they could sign and it got me thinking.

Should the NBL look at reducing the points cap?

The idea was brought in to bring parity into the league.

With the inclusion of a new team the talent pool is diluted. This brings me to conclude that it is now going to be hard for a team to reach the points cap as there are only so many 8+ points players going round.

Look at the sixers the team is done and we still have 11 points up oursleve. (happy to be corrected on that)

There are teams out there who are far away from finalising a roster and there is little talent to pick from.

The big money teams are able to load up on high point players effectively leaving scraps for the lessor teams to fight over.

Good for those mid range players i guess as they will now be able to demand higher pay.

If the league droppped the points cap to say 65 it would make the talent get spread further as teams would not be able to load up and the league would be much more equitable.

Topic #11652 | Report this topic

Doctor E  
Years ago

I agree with what you say. The points system seems useless to me. Also, if you consider that Brisbane were last season able to assemble one of the most loaded rosters in the history of the NBL then obviously it isn't working how it was intended, or how I thought it was intended, anyway.

Reply #136356 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I would like to see more Euro Australians and Asians playing in the NBL.

Greater points cap, greater salary cap could do it.

Reply #136359 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

With Sutton in the ten, we have two points to spare (66). And that doesn't include Nash who is yet to be announced as departing, AFAIK.

Someone on OzHoops ran a basic calculation that said the points cap should be something like 63. With the additional of a team and a mostly fixed pool of players, the cap certainly shouldn't have increased.

Reply #136370 | Report this post

kc4mvp  
Years ago

Should be reduced by 10pts to let the 9 and 10th player be OZ development players .
It woul also force the ever increasing No# of US taking out citezenship to spread away from teh already stacked teams to get $

Reply #136379 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I would like to see Nielson, Anderson and other great Australians back into the NBL though...

Reply #136386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should be 65

Reply #136404 | Report this post

kc4mvp  
Years ago

I think they should say you are only have 60 points, give no Discounts or reduction for players hanging arround to get $ out of the system.

If there good enough like Dmac they will still get a gig.

Import 10
Import 10
Marque OZ 10
Leaves 30 to fill the teams 7 positions.
Lots of combinations could be given for spending the Pts.

$ Cap should just be a formula based on the profitability of the league.

Anyway it won't change and the NBL will have its lop sided comp.

Reply #136455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kc4mvp wrote "It woul also force the ever increasing No# of US taking out citezenship to spread away from teh already stacked teams to get $"

Increasing number? I would have thought the number of US players becoming Australian is continually decreasing and right now is a very rare indeed.

123abc wrote: "I would like to see Nielson, Andersen and other great Australians back into the NBL though..."

The points cap isn't keeping them out of the NBL. If any of those says they are coming back then just about every team in the league will attempt to sign them. The points cap really only affects the quality of your bench.

Reply #136479 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Please tell me for the love of God that Nash is not going to be back?!

Reply #136597 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:06 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754