Anonymous
Years ago

Church Basketball Competition

So now I believe all the church leagues have joined together to form one league instead of having a United competition and a Church of Christ competition. I also believe they are now categorised under Basketball SA.

Now I wish to know why, or even wonder why this competition can have its own set of rules. Yes there are minor changes it can make to the game to make it 'fit' under what could be classified as 'church guidelines' but the rules of basketball are there for a reason.

My first problem is a small one but a confusing one. Within the rules of the church league it says player numbers must be legal playing numbers that are defined from within the normal basketball bylaws. If I'm not mistaken this has been changed to allow any number from 00 to 99 to be worn. But then it states the legal numbers are 4-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45 and 50-55. Why say to follow a set of rules, but then go against what those rules are.

My second wonder is clock stopping. First week we were told clock stopped on every whistle within the last 2 minutes on every whistle. Second week we were told the same thing. Third week we did what we were told the other two weeks only to find out that these were NOT the rules. 'Apparently' a piece of paper was now on the score bench saying when the clock was to stop and the ref tried to tell us that it has been there since week 1 which it was not. Now the clock only stops for foul shots and at the refs discretion within the last few minutes. It's a 40 minute game within a 50 minute time slot, last two minutes should be able to be stopped on every whistle, or even if the rule was "if its within 'x' number of points". The games will still run on time.

Thirdly, timeouts. Clock does not stop for them... unless in the last 2 minutes of the second half. BUT in the first half you are able to have a timeout with two minutes to go in the half and the clock will continue to run, taking it down to 1 minute left in the half, that's IF the refs and teams are obeying the time period. I have seen countless times teams AND referee's extend timeouts for over 1 minute. In every competition I have been in the clock either stops for timeouts or you're not allowed to have timeouts in the last 2 or 3 minutes of the period. Why does this need to be different.

I have also heard countless people swear within the church competition. It was to my belief that swearing was an automatic tech foul under the church rules. Yet I have seen different refs use it to their discretion, depending on their own beliefs. One ref may believe that a small swear word is ok if not yelled and it's towards themself, yet I have seen another ref tech foul someone for muttering under their breath a swear words and then be told by the ref 'its the rules'. What are the rules! Either enforce them properly or don't have it. Just the other week I saw a player receive a foul and then proceed to say 'jesus christ' and only get issued with a warning. Or I hear a player yell a swear word, nothing done by a referee, another player asks the ref why only be told "oh I didnt hear it".

Why try and claim you are under BSA when you make your own rules that suit you. The rules are there for a reason, not for looks and a good read when you're bored. Church basketball has potential to be a strong league but I believe will still not be considered as true basketball until they get in line with BA and BSA.

/end rant

Topic #11693 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are called by-laws and every competition, whatever sport you play each different competition will have their own by-laws. I reckon the numbers one is just an old relic from the old days when the actual FIBA rule was 4-15 were the only legal numbers. They allowed extra numbers because people played for their own church but may have been in different teams each year - it saved on having to get new uniforms.

I cant talk about the current timing rules but when I was involved in playing and umpiring church the rules were only time outs in the last 2 minutes would have the clock stopped but there was no problems with time outs in the last 2 minutes of the first half - most social competitions are run like this.

I guess the biggest problem with the swearing thing is some of the referees arent just church people so they would allow things that church people wouldnt. I personally think as a Christian swearing isnt good - but I dont think the umpires should be penalising them for swearing anymore than another competition - blasphemy is a different thing and should be a tech for sure.

If you dont like it dont play it - most of those rules have been in place for more than 10 years.

Reply #136857 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Ok - to try and answer a few of these questions - the number rule ... well that is a bylaw and if that is the way SACBA want it then so be it - pretty sure this is the same laws as FIBA

The timing rules - go have a look on the scorer's bench they are all laid out for you - laminated on every score bench. In brief (and this is from memory) the clock is only stopped in the last 3 minutes in the 2nd half for
1. timeouts
2. shooting fouls only
3. substitutions (thought this rule may have been changed)

As I said the rules are laminated on the bench - and as the saying when anything is laminated it must be gospel.

Swearing is a tough one - refs who have reffed at church for years call every swear word (even if you are swearing at yourself of just say Fuuu... and then stop yourself), a number of the younger refs will not call them or give you a bit more leway - it is up to the ref doing your game. Put it this way - they can call a tech everytime you swear so if you do swear and get away with it count yourself luck - some refs are very strict and some are very lieniant - not worth finding out which is which - just don't swear.

Church is under BSA but I think they want a cleaner comp + they have done things their way for so long why should they have to change.

It is a good comp so no real point in complaining - if you don't like the rules you can always play social ball - wear any number you want, get 10 points for no scorer and swear till you are blue in the face.

Reply #137025 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

#11693, were you playing at Westminster on Saturday? We had major issues relating to the clock stoppage rule and the refs had no idea what was right and wrong. It seemed to change on every posession. It was a close game which made it even more tense.

Reply #137035 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:31 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754