Oscar Robertson
Years ago

SA Vs Vic refs

OK we got all the results for the weekend bar 1. Who wins between SA and VIC refs?

This isnt meant to be a ref knock.

However, alot of people I spoke to noticed a number of differences between the vic refs and our local refs this weekend. Would love for some refs to comment on this that were over for the classics / nunawading.

- The cylinder seems to be bigger for big guys jumping to block shots.
- body on body defense is fine over there but handchecks are not. Here, any kind of body contact outside the keyway and you get called for a foul.
- Alot more physicallity is allowed on the boards and around the basket.
- all in all the refs let alot more go.

Games are more exciting, players are better prepared to play at a higher level and BIG guys do not get targetted like they do here.

Now we are trying to prepare our kids to compete at Classics and Nationals. Most local refs have no idea how to umpire bigs or around the basket body contact. I would like to see more local umpires headover for these tournaments and learn from the Vics.

Just my opinion anyone else got thoughts?

Topic #11787 | Report this topic

benj  
Years ago

From what I saw at State Champs the few refs that came over were well below the standard of our refs. I don't know if they sent over their best, probably not because they still had their own comps going on but I hope that wasn't a display of their talent.

Reply #137871 | Report this post

oscar wilde  
Years ago

SA refs mile ahead of vics.

higher graded refs not too bad and on par - but woeful at Nunawading.

just let the games go on and on - no whistles.

i know they were probably doing 10 games a day at nunawading - (apparently they accepted 100 more entries this year over 8 venues.)

but there was no responsibilty on taking control of the game or safety of players.

what I saw at the classics were ok - couldnt get over the 2 vic refs high fiving every time out LOL.

Reply #137918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good refs is an oxymoron.

Reply #137919 | Report this post

tk  
Years ago

much better looking refs in Melbourne.

Reply #137923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no joke heaps of the refs where hot chicks at nunawading tourney u dont see that everyday

Reply #137925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was noticeable at Classic and Nunawading that many interstaters found some reffing confusing to say the least. Classic had the best refs and unfortunately the Nunawading tournament sufferred with many games at a terrible standard. Unfortunately this affected outcome of several games I saw so apologies to teams coming all this way. Both Eltham and Norwood tournaments had better refs, at least in the top grades.

Reply #137932 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

The standard of refereeing at MSAC was 10 times better than last year. A number of good kids out there and some older blokes. A lot of active SEABL referees and quality referee coaches out there evaluating games and improving the referees. Great work from Lexie to get all those blokes out there to help the up and coming referees.

From what I saw at Dandenong, they were a touch behind the usually high standard out there. But there has been a recent wave of top quality referees finish their junior stint over there. Another place to which quality referee coaches were around.

It was a pity to see only one SA referee at either Classic tournament as it is a huge opportunity to referee decent basketball, but more importantly get some excellent guidence from their referee coaches as SA referees tend to not get much feedback at the junior level, other than from a senior partner or UIC.

Nunawading had some decent referees out there, but they were few and far between due to the two other higher quality tournaments on at the same time. But thems the breaks... I think it had better quality than usual due to the SEABL commissioner spearheading the UIC role for them that weekend.

That's my 2 cents

Reply #138014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#137925, Are u refering to Taz or Care Bear?
(Hint - Taz is the one with the noticible backside)

Reply #138219 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:43 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754