Isaac
Years ago

LeBron welcomes son; TV ratings down again

LeBron James and his girlfriend have welcomed their second son - Bryce Maximus James. Maximus is the name of the lead in Gladiator, LeBron's favourite movie. Probably a good time to be thankful he didn't love Lord of the Rings...

And TV ratings for the NBA finals series were down for game three by 20%. Commish Stern blamed the slump for a past game on it going head to head against the final episode of The Sopranos. Not sure that he's got an excuse this time - critics would suggest that the series is a foregone conclusion with the Cavs down 0-3 and hosting game four shortly.

And as was posted in another thread, the Rockets have sent Juwan Howard to Minnesota for Mike James.

Elsewhere, Kevin Durant is looking to follow Starbury's lead into endorsing an affordable line of shoes, though priced somewhere between Starbury's offering and the expensive lines.

"Kevin wants to do it," [his agent] said. "You have to understand he came from a place where none of his friends could afford to spend $120 on a pair of shoes."
In Washington, The Gilbert has explained the reasoning behind his talk of opting out of his player option saying that it's entirely about the money.

The NBA doesn't really know how old draft prospect Yi Jianlian is - right now, they're assuming he's 19, but he could be as old as 25.

And finally, an interesting article on Ball Hype that statistically picks the best players over various 10-year brackets - 97-07? Tim Duncan. Before that? Shaq. Worth a quick look.

Topic #11828 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

Also found an article on NBA.com saying that Horry will become the first non Celtic player to win 7 Championships.

Just as impressive is the list of players he'll leave behind, those who captured only six championships during their playing days: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Bob Cousy  all on the list of 50 Greatest Players.

Full article

My question is, everyone always seems to gauge a players star status by the championships they have won, so with Rob about to win his seventh - where do people put him in there superstar list?

IMO he has been a lucky son of a gun and ultimately it's a bit sad he will overtake some of the true greats of the game.

Reply #138255 | Report this post

Sir Charles  
Years ago

Great reads here but they leave out some great players.. Its hard to decide who is the greatest ever for their decade. Great players gain respect and fear from their peers..

Reply #138260 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Agreed Charles, IMO Horry doesn't have that - he's just a role player that's been lucky to be a part of winning teams.

Reply #138261 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

I think Horry is a role player, but a VERY important one.
Every good team needs a back up Big Man who can play either 4 or 5 spot & they also need a good spot up 3 point shooter and finally they need a guy without an ego, who is prepared to play not just for the money but to be a part of a successful unit without breaking the Bank and prepared to accept the minutes he gets.
These, I think have been a large reason for the success that Horry's had, he has been a back up to Hakkeem, Shaq & Duncan whilst they were at their best and prepared to accept the role he had.
He could alsways have gone the Sprewell or Kendall Gill way and chosen a bit extra cash rather than team success.
Lucky yes, but I think he's earnt that luck.

Reply #138264 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Brings to mind one Robert Sibley. A very handy player who floated from one winning team to another collecting rings along the way, but hardly All-Star material.

Reply #138272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bizzy, i dont know about gauging a players star status by the amount of championships theyve won, but instead the ability to name their kids after stupid names out of movies, like maximus

Reply #138275 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I'm gonna called my kid Naploean Dynamite

Reply #138276 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm gonna call mine Rico, and then badger my siblings until they have kids... called Kip, Tina and Pedro.

Come get some ham!

Reply #138278 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I think the worth of Robert Horry is in the fact that teams get better when he joins them....it's no co-incidence that he has 6 (prob. 7 by now) rings

Reply #138292 | Report this post

Theres no way teams get better with horry. he hits a few 3s and suddenly hes this big time clutch player. the only reason he gets these shots is because the other team is guarding the real clutch players, like Kobe, shaq, duncan, hakeem etc...

Reply #138365 | Report this post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukde193ivM

didn't he say Nash flopped into the scorers table?

Reply #138366 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

wow - that was a disgrace

Reply #138373 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Gorilla you have no idea

Reply #138463 | Report this post

**Balla**  
Years ago

Lebron's Son is really bad at basketball no wonder ratings dropped...

Reply #138501 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

WTF?!

Reply #138544 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

are u retarted balla?

Reply #138548 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm disappointed in you Isaac, a perfect chance for the pancake and rabbit picture or the 'you suck at the internet' picture.

Reply #138549 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #138554 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:14 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754