On the Grapevine
Years ago

Girls under 18s

Wow is being a parent fun. The stories you here about kids moving clubs because they are not happy is unreal. Why can't some parents just be that parents and not live there lives thru the eyes of there own kids. Do parents realise that a poor decision may destroy any chances of the kid improving to the future? Why would they go to a club tht is inferior...surely some parents can see that....losing all the time does not help esteem either. They are not getting court time at 16 or playing ABA at that tender age!!!! some parents need to look in a mirror, THEY MIGHT NOT BE THAT GOOD....I'm talking under 18s division 1. I don't know what everyones opinion is but it seems some parents think they know the kid better than the club and coach (Playing wise). Is it just a matter of chasing a club for a kid to play in ABA?.....If what I have been hearing around the traps is just that...the clubs to be hit the hardest are woodville, norwood and North. Eastern looks the winner with who they are going to pick up, Norwood one quitting one moving to another club, woodville one moving one quitting, North 1 quitting 3 moving, Sturt 1 moving.
Chasing a club just to play ABA is wrong? It will be an interesting end of season when all the moves take place.
Please no names, what have you all heard?

Topic #11836 | Report this topic

Opinions  
Years ago

If you want to play ABL, you get a chance at another club, and you cant see it happening at your current club then go.

In my opinion parents actually need to have more of a rule than they do in helping their kids make informed decisions.

As long as parents/kids make informed decisions then go for it!!!

Reply #138351 | Report this post

On the Grapevine  
Years ago

yeah i agree a little but to go from a strong club to a weaker club doesn't do well for the kid...they don't improve and eventually fade away...parents need to ride the storm in my opinion

Reply #138352 | Report this post

There are 9 clubs represented at U 18 div 1 girls. There is no U20 girls comp opposed to 3 or 4 Divisions of U20 boys.
Only 6 clubs have an U21 girls Div 1 team.
What this says is, ABA or nothing for girls and absolutely minimal chances of success at or in the big league.
Therefore, for those girls in 18's who cant get a guensey in the stronger clubs, the options are very limited in terms of staying in basketball at a satisfying and competitive level.
At the 18's level very few parents have any real say in what their daughters do, so most of the decisions are made by the girls themselves.
Basketball provides no consistent pathway for girls and its a less than one hundredth of one percent for a SA girls to make the big time. Better chances for WNBL about a tenth of one percent.
Because there is a limited local comp post 18's it is little wonder movement occurs.
Unless a better comp is introduced for girls, women's basketball will die as anything other than a shadow of the men's game.Clubs are not active in restructuring a worthwhile post 18 comp that attracts or keeps females. Simply put, women's basketball is an inconvenient necessity of the predominently male run sport. We need to recognise this and implement real changes.
SASI is not working in keeping rank and file womens basktballers involved,which of course is not its core charter, and though it can boast some recent success stories, it's underperforming as a producer of elite basketballers. Better results would help the girls retention rate.
At present, most attend SASI and cope with its format for the 'American trip' which is held out, alarmingly, as significant and an end product.
Time is fast approaching in this very expensive sport when the much maligned parent sector will turn their backs on it and actively push their younger kids towards other more parent friendly sports.
The revamped BSA need to take note of costs, times of games, venues and the vanishing point of womens basketball post 18's.
Rather than put down moves, I applaud them . Maybe if enough U18's moved a stronger comp might ensue providing a catalyst for future changes for the better.

Reply #138361 | Report this post

say what ?  
Years ago

go if you think it will work for you - but dont be surprised if it doesnt happen or it is exactly the same.

hardest things for those clubs is if they have cultivated a junior and they leave after a few years of building them up.

there is no loyalty at all - i have seen and experienced the most dedicated people to a club / team pushed out in the name of "better" players - every club will do it.

when was teh last time a div 1 / 2 players was selected for loyalty ?

go go go

but it is your bed you make and have to sleep in it

North and norwood i understand - but if you are not getting an ABL gig with woodville's women - mmm - maybe the player is not who she / parents think they are !

perfect case to push to revisit a centrals abl womens team and base it from parafield gardens or somewhere closer - north, norwood, woodville. this would open up another 8 or so abl spots

Reply #138380 | Report this post

say what ?  
Years ago

one other comment is times and players change - just cause you were the front runner in u12,14,16s doesnt mean it will follow throught to abl - many div 2/3/4 players may develop.

also look at the coaches - mavs have a known established coach with a losing list - i would expect changes - so recuiting specific players would be on at mavs.

i hardly think womens / girls is dying - look at our wnbl team / national team. erin P WNBA sensation.

i would be more concerned about whether the girls comp is being managed properly. It seems to be on a weekly basis we see 27 odd u18 girls teams coming out and playing - so that is not too bad.

maybe a better feeder system into senior grades for u18s ?

u18s should be considered for senior selection abl - div 5

Reply #138382 | Report this post

Say what:Its because you don't think womens basketball in SA is dying that it is. few are doing anything about it. Basketball for women in SA is in peril because the comps don't exit to keep them active post 18's.
There are 26 teams for boys to play in at U20's. Slow developers have the chance to continue half decent basketball thus some who slip thru the net early have the chance to emerge.
Contrast that to the 12 teams available at U21 for girls. Individuals will continue to emerge successfully but enmasse we fail the majority of girls in transition between the ages of 17 and 18.
Your idea of a better feeder system for 18's is a good one but it is neglected by an administrations who focus on the toys for boys philosophy that basketball is a men's only sport.
This of course is largely true with the money being in all male sport. Poor market or no market strategies for women's sport compound the issue.
BSA needs to pour as much time and energy into the future of women's basketball as it does mens, not because they are equal sports , not because they are equal spectacles but because the sport of women's basketball is a fantastic one in its own right.
Rather than this become a catch 22 rhetorical with there are not enough girls playing post 18's to
provide the comp we need to attract more girls etc-create a pathway.
Run basketball tournaments for U21 girls below elite level. Have the U21 profile lifted by playing it pre ABA games. Have a sponsor strike a new U21 premiership cup that becomes an annual event.
Have the clubs combine to pick an U21 womens team to tour the Eastern states annually as a Nationals 'A' team etc etc.
Keep the kids in our sport.

Reply #138390 | Report this post

say what ?  
Years ago

first things - get u20 / 21 s off friday night - if the kids are like anyone else - friday night is a social night - sure bball is social - but try getting your kid out when the yneed a minimu 90 minutes to prune themselves!!! LOL

i see so many goo u21 div 1 players go by the wayside at big clubs - some could play abl at lower clubs - but they drop out cause nobody asked - cause they are not allowed to talk - as they are stil "juniors"

get them into div 3/4 if they dont make the senior squad - div 3 / 4 really depends - i have seen scrubbers and seen really good tems with former wnbl / abl players getting around.

alot of the time if they get an interested coach and group of players div 3/4 seniors could be a start for an u18 - start puting up good stats in div 3 and any good senior coach would be taking note

Reply #138400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Y cant these girls move some of them are awesome players ,they arent getting a chance with their current club which could be due to the fact their current club has more talent than they can handle ....ok this isnt true in all circumstances BUT overall doesnt it make weaker abl clubs stronger which makes the competition stronger?
FOR
1.keeps these kids playing
2.boosts competition
AGAINST
1.others miss out
2.competion girls in particular dwindles away

Reply #138459 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

im an under 18 div 1 player and i dont think kids at 16 and 17 should be playing aba at this age anyway. they still have a good 15 years to play, so why risk getting burnt out straight away? yes i do want to play aba at some point in the future, but it has shown if you pick a younger player to play aba, they get burnt out too easily and eventually stop performing at the level they are capable of.
parents shouldn't be pushing for their kid to play aba just yet, wait it out a bit.

Reply #138510 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

i also play 18's and i generally agrre wid unknown. My team ended up down to 3 players at one point because people kept leavin cos either they got screwed round by aba or cos they wanted to go out wid friends on a friday nite. We definately need something to keep the players playing. if we dont...we're screwed. if you can keep the younger grades interested as well then there will be more 18's. the 3 players left that time (me included) have all played together since under 12's. most of the others from that team have either moved or quit. those who start later tend to leave earlier.
keep the 12's/14's interested and you'll prob c some really good results

Reply #139284 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:07 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754