country cuzin
Years ago

metro v country - who won ?

Not that many care, but who won the mega contest between 16 country and metro boys on saaturday. Not being sarcastic but country would have gone close. Pity they don't have a decent big outside the west kid. They have good guards. what are their chances in Gosford. Not interested in the city boyz as they don't have much chance as seem same old same old and very selfish group of what I saw a month ago.

Topic #11862 | Report this topic

**Balla**  
Years ago

I play for the 16's metro. But couldn't make that game... I was told that We won though (metro)

Reply #138580 | Report this post

**Balla**  
Years ago

I am one of those selfish bigs for the metro team... You have a problem? Those country guys are just bogans, they have no skill, I am 6 foot 2 inches. So there is your result we won 110-72. So you think they are good think again...

Reply #138582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16 Boys Country lost 45-50, after being in control most of the game. Were 7 points up with 3 minutes to play until Metro converted on a couple of Country turnovers. Country did a great job considering they lost their starting point guard in the first quarter.
16 Girls Metro defeated Country by about 20. There were only a couple of points in the game at halftime, Metro went on a 2 minute blitz that Country never recovered from. Great result for the Metro girls, a 40 point turnaround from their previous game.

Great day with some really competitive games, would be good to see the 18's involved also. Maybe next year.

Reply #138588 | Report this post

**Balla**  
Years ago

I was talking about alst years game I scored 20 points of the 110 and we dominated.

Reply #138590 | Report this post

Wayville 96  
Years ago

**balla** - you're from NSW. This game was SA, as this site is run (and contributed to) by SA people and talk generally about local basketball.

Reply #138592 | Report this post

**Balla**  
Years ago

Yeh I was talking about NSW metro vs Country and I am 6 foot 2 inches.

Reply #138596 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

who cares if your 6 foot 2 i am 105 kilo step into my turf and see how you go

Reply #138597 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

balla do u have to loosen your shoe lace to think ???

Reply #138614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or maybe his jock strap

Reply #138620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Balla, who won this years NSW country vs metro game??

Our (SA) game was pretty low scoring, how long were the quarters???

Who played well??

Reply #138644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the SA Metro boys all play as I throught several of them are injured?

Reply #138666 | Report this post

In the 16 girls, did the girls who have been on the injured list for their clubs, for what seems like decades, all play?

Reply #138678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both teams fielded their full group.
Didnt seem like anyone was restricted through injury.

Reply #138681 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Does this mean metro were missing some when they beat Country? Maybe the 40 point turn around was due to players available. How do we expect these to finish at Nationals?

Reply #138687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro high, country low.

Reply #138699 | Report this post

Both would have to play out of their sox's to medal and realistically 5th or 6th would be good. Country have looked to the future with several good first years and metro have put all their eggs in the, all second year basket.
If metro click , who knows what they might do but they have put a lot of faith in some players who drop the ball a bit and two players who have to do the bulk of the scoring.
Bottom line is we don't mind which of these groups representing SA bring back some silverware.
God luck to both teams.

Reply #138704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country have 4 Boys & 4 Girls each as first year players, with all 4 reserves in the girls group also first year players.

Reply #138708 | Report this post

If that's the case then country will reap the rewards next year. Metro 18's went for a lot of first years too but metro 16's have vitually said we can win it with all second years.
Unless metro 16's do win it they have made a huge mistake not blooding some first year talent for next year.

Reply #138749 | Report this post

Go SA!  
Years ago

Yes, putting lot of faith in first years and some of second years with not much experience. Surprising some of the experience that got cut. Hope it works well for them.

Reply #138751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we could also look at it that its good for the 18s next year to have so many 16s around the mark. The 16s are a good team they will be okay at the champs.

Reply #138861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ghosts of xmas past,

Before you point out what a "huge mistake" the metro 16s made, perhaps you should actually get some facts...
The team has 2 first year players in it!

Reply #138896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are we on the boys or girls here?

Confusing muchly.

Reply #138899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not in the girls.

Reply #138900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No first years in the 16 Metro Girls

Reply #138906 | Report this post

mintyman  
Years ago

who are the selfish gaurds from u16 metro boys? wat club and number? Im curious

Reply #138995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who won NSW country v metro game??

Do Queensland and Victoria also play country vs metro??

Reply #139079 | Report this post

Jack Spratt  
Years ago

Why do we need a metro & country team? Cant we send our best 10-12 kids to the nationals and give them a better shot at finishing higher, rather than divide and weaken the talent? Im sure the question has been asked before, but what is the answer.

If the answer is because Victoria and NSW do it, then IMO we are doing it for the wrong reasons. They probably have the populations to send 3-4 teams each to the nationals, lets send our best and see what we can achieve.

Reply #139196 | Report this post

Elmer Fudd  
Years ago

Sending 2 teams enables more players to attend and gives them exposure. Somebody who makes a team as a 14 year old might not perform well enough to win a National title. But this player might improve enough to play for Australia in the long run du eto the experience.

Also, country players have a deferent set of needs tham metro players.

If would be impossible for some country players to make all the trainings that metro kids do. this would mean that some kids might not make it to the AIS of Australian Junior teams if the lived in the country.

Somebody like Luke Schensher might never have gone to a Nationals if this were the case.

Reply #139202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember the big picture.

Let the kids have their moment in the sun, they dont have to win the competition!!

Players from smaller programs need the opportunity to play at the highest level.

Reply #139205 | Report this post

The answer is simple , it is to give the widest number of young people the opportunity to play at the highest level.
By sending two teams, instead of the 4 teams about to take part in the U16 and U18 nationals, twenty kids would lose that opportunity.
Would we send significantly better teams if they were mixed, in most cases only marginally as evidenced by the cojoined Metro/Country in U20's.
Rather than criticise the number of players going, we need to determine if the players going are the right players, coached by the right coaches and in turn if the coaches are selected using the the right process.Should the state coaches coach in the age group they take to the nationals?
Very different methodology has gone into each selection and its difficult to discern a credible process in place. In the 16 girls they either think they'll win it or that all the first years are substandard because they have gone for all second years. In the 16 country girls and 18 metro girls its a very different situation with lots of first years which says that either the second years in these respective ages are not up to scratch or they have red hot teams or simply they're building for next year. Running through the boys is just as big a headache with certain selections.
Is it time to make a policy of selecting only second years for the Nationals, clearly the answer is no in my view, but would it result in stronger, better teams which was your point?
Is it time to have a policy of always having 2 or 3 first years in a team? Again how could you do it when each year the talent pool is different?
Is the aim of teams going to the Nationals just competition because results tell us that in most cases winning it is not a possibility? How do we make our teams more competitive? How do we make district more competitive?
State coaches are on a hiding to nothing because despite who they select it will always be wrong and their only vindication is to medal.
I can't think of any guidelines that would work for selecting state teams other than ability and as that is subjective, we find ourselves back to square one.
So I'd keep sending the 40 kids each year (till the 20's) and hope the selectors get it right.

Reply #139213 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:10 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754