Who Me!
Years ago

ABL Finals - Participants almost set

Just looking at the ladders and in the Men if Sturt beat Woodville this week, that will jst about seal the Top 5. Sturt would then by 9 wins, 6 losses, with 3 games to go & Woodville would be 6 wins, 9 losses. Even if Woodville then won their last three (Centrals, Norwood & West) and Sturt lost theirs (North, South & Centrals)Sturt would still have the Season split. However, a Woodville win would make it 8/7 & 7/8 and a tussle down to the wire.
Only other scenario that could see Sturt miss out, was if they only won one of their last four and South won all their last 4 (North, Southern, Sturt & Eastern).
Don't think those scenarios are likely, (given that Sturt has already beaten Woodville by over 30)so you would have to say a good effort from Sturt, to still get into play-offs considering the players they lost from last year.

In the Women, the 5th spot is a bit more wide open, Southern are there at the moment and need to get back on the winners circle (2 losses on the weekend)
Southern (West, South, Eastern & Forestville)
South (North, Southern, Sturt & Eastern)
Forestville (BYE, Norwood, West & Southern)
The Southern v South & Southern v Forestville will probably decide who gets into 5th spot.
However, Norwood, currently in 4th are playing well and should probably account for whoever gets the 5th spot.

Topic #11873 | Report this topic

red and white  
Years ago

how do we rate all teams womens /men overall this stage welcome report card on all

Reply #138656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope it is an exciting finish to the men's ABL!!!

Lets see Sturt lose to Woodville + 2 more losses for Sturt, Woodville win 3, South win at least 3 and then all depends on what West do as well. The bottom placings of 3rd to 5th could all hinge on the very last round of the season as wins and points split come into consideration!

Anything can happen. Could Norwood falter in their last 4 games, will the eagles voodoo hoodoo upset them or could even the eagles wings be trimmed as well by their opponents?? Is North on the surge to go 4 and 0?

Just wish I could be at all the key games each night!

Reply #138710 | Report this post

Sir Charles  
Years ago

I think north will continue their win streak in to the finals and win all 4 of theirs to go 15 and 3.
This would mean Norwood would drop 1 of last four to finish 15 and 3, which means points spread in the last game of the season between North and Norwood would determine minor premier.
Forestville could drop 2 games but think they will only drop 1 and finish 13 and 5 and stay in third.
Not sure what West and Sturt will do down the stretch but think it will stay the same.

The more interesting thing about the finals is the loss of sixer players. No Coop for norwood, no Dodman for sturt, no sutton for Forestville.
Looks like North and West are the only teams to retain their rosters, as North will have Dusty and Kersten all the way through and West dont have anyone on an NBL roster. Could be a factor finals time.

Reply #138724 | Report this post

should be good  
Years ago

Sir Charles...is the loss of sixer players definate or just a maybe, cos as you say, that would just about hand North the title!

I would have thought that Kersten would be needed over in NZ during the finals just like Forman last year! Will North fly him back? Same for Dusty up in Brisbane...surely NBL trainings would be well under way by the time the GF is played no? I guess brisbane might have a late start due to winning the thing last year.

Anyway, unless Sturt just lose the plot I think the finals will stay the same... North may pip Norwood at the top of the table. I beleive that they play each other on the last round at Hillcrest so if North win by I think 8 or 9 or more then they will take top spot, but i am tipping Norwood to keep their top ranking which would leave West to host Sturt in the 4 vs 5 elimination final, and North to host Forestville in the double chance final. I think North and West would win those which would see Norwood host North for a chance to go straight thru to the GF, and Forestville with the task of beating West at Wayville. The winner going into the preliminary against the loser of North and Norwood.

Pretty hard to predict but I think North and Norwood are certainly in the box seats right now and hard to go past one of them winning the title.

Reply #138737 | Report this post

Sir Charles  
Years ago

"Should be good" i know for a fact Dusty will be with North until the end, Kersten does have to go over to NZ but they are happy for him to come back same as Oscar last year.

To the best of my knowledge it is true about Sixer players, i believe all coaches received a letter at the start of the year and the latest word is their supposed trip will only see Sixer players available for the first week of finals.

Reply #138738 | Report this post

should be good  
Years ago

Thanks Sir Charles. That really does put North as the favourite then doesn't it. They might lose Burdon tho...

Reply #138741 | Report this post

Sir Charles  
Years ago

i believe only if he gets a contract, same goes for Marcus Ng

Reply #138743 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Trust the 36ers to throw a spanner in the works when other NBL clubs are allowing their players to continue playing in the ABL. They don't seem to show a lot of interest in their players in the ABL. I have noticed very little write up on the official website about them in the off season. I have also been to an ABL game every week that the games have been on and have never seen Phil Smyth at any of them. I can't see the problem, the players are continuing to get game practice and keep their fitness up and at the same time they would want to participate right through to the end. Especially if your team is doing well, I am sure they would like to be there to finish the job off and be a part of the glory that comes after the contribution they have made until that point. As far as the Pt Lincoln trip goes, Monday to Friday should be long enough so the players can come back and play Saturday night.

Reply #138881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if woodville beat sturt this week, i can see woodville taking themselves into finals, and being darkhorse, that said, if sturt wins, would have to consider them a darkhorse aswell in finals. will be interesting weekend if you ask me.

oh and the south scenerio, that is never going to happen lol

Reply #138883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville are crap. They just lost to North by close to 50. Forestville have beaten them twice easily and Norwood smashed them by 40 or so too. How can they be a dark horse? Worst Woodville team in 10 years!

Reply #138889 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

you need to see somebody anon - the worst woodville team team in 10 years just beat sturt at pasadena - you have to count your blessings that the warriors arent fielding their best team - be lightyears and whoever you are associated with

Reply #139435 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:08 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754