rabbitprooffence
Years ago

shorter winter season.

With winter being the curse of most younger athletes I thought I'd throw up a different slant to the two season debate.
With the break coming up for the 18 Nationals is it time to rethink the season structure possibilities.
Is it possible to end the winter season at the end of july, 2 weeks after the Nationals have ended and regig the summer start.
Summer could start in the first week of October and run till mid December meaning a ten week season running thru the October holidays and ending at the start of the more important Christmas school holidays.
Winter season could then start at the end of January or the beginning of the new school year and run thru till the end of july.
Another viewpoint would be to run a single season from September to July with from Mid december to the end of January as a break.That would give the athletes the month of August off and 5 weeks or the Christmas school holidays off.
I'm sure I've missed why these things are not on but it's just an exercise so if you have any ideas put them up.

Topic #11886 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry rabbit - we just CAN'T have a break in July - as the sooky parent "anon" doesn't like it...

Reply #138779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Rabbit, your views have some merit. I guess one issue is with 14 Nationals being held in October(?)'ish, how can we keep these guys/girls playing as a group? Also, I think our "main" winter season matches pretty much all the other states, bar I think Queensland?

Regarding getting August "off" - it wouldn't happen as trials and trainings would occur before games obviously.
Also, with the main finals being in July, that means the players would have to be "up" for a long time, May (State Champs), June (Classics) and July (winter finals) without much time to "wind down" for a while.
I do think your ideas are food for thought though.

Reply #138780 | Report this post

Jack Rabbit  
Years ago

I like your 2 season idea. I think the whole 2 seasons need looking at. I am an advocate of playing all year around; however i recon the kids need more of a break between the different seasons.

Reply #138904 | Report this post

LI  
Years ago

I don't think a shorter winter season a good idea.
As it is, teams that don't make the finals have the whole of September off. That's about half of the players.

The schedule only gets a bit overloaded for the few that are in state teams or go to nationals.
But for U16/U18 state players the slight overload is between end of May until the beginning of July, and we don't want to add the winter season finals on top of that.

Only U 14 going to Nationals don't get time off between winter and summer. That's four or six teams out of >300?

Reply #138921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For state and potential state players the 'slight' overload is from the end of January and consists of weekend trialling reduced over time to squads. couple this with , for some, SASI trainings and weights and club tainings and of course benching at ABL.
September off and Xmas too way to go to extend players careers.

Reply #138929 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:52 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754