Victor Crumpet
Years ago

Sub standard

Have the pleasure of going to this wonderful sporting complex on a weekly basis.
Court 2 at Adel Hills - what a joke for div 1 basketball. Basketball SA is kidding itself if it allows so called elite level sport to be played on this surface and in that environment.
No wonder we have kids leaving the sport when we have to put up and pay top dollar to use the so called facility provided.
No wonder the level of reffing is also on the decline and it is obvious why no-body wants to "work" there in that capacity.
This is not a mavs bash as they have no control I presume.
They obviously are accustomed to the conditions and they do get the better of the refs but gee from what I saw friday - it's terrible.
Yes the sturt 16 kids are soft and there has always been that thought there and no matter how bad umps are etc, if you have 5 state players in a team in a grade - you should still win regardless. Thought has been that the the 3 kids missing play footy and that tougness was obviously missing and possibly proves the worth they bring to the team. Have heard that 1 of them has already given up and 1 more may not return due to footy as well and the other is pondering what to do.
Is that also a reflection on the chances of our state team at the nationals in 16's ? Hopefully the other clubs kids are a bit tougher in the crunch.
The other game I saw the 18 boys was also played on that court and I believe involved over 10 state reps. Once again no benefit to any of them playing on that ice rink and only injury waiting to happen.
What do others think ?

Topic #11934 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

i used to put up with forestville ct 2 as a jr in div 2..

Reply #139468 | Report this post

There is also the perception that when playing at Sturt's home stadium their opposition's key players are always in foul trouble early.
This is a remarkable coincidence that occurs frequently.

Reply #139479 | Report this post

Hillbilly  
Years ago

Hey Victor

Bit harsh calling kids soft. Yes agree not good result for the 16 boys and should have won under any conditions, but hey give credit to a more hungry group of mavs.

Everyone would have to agree the stadium up there is a dump and not good for the game but realistically what can they do ?

The umps everywhere are a problem and yes picked up the point that the mavs bigs would have been in foul trouble at Pasadena.

Judge the kids at the nationals after you see where they finish. I think you expect too much from them sometimes, maybe because you are playing your sporting career through your child.

Also don't knock kids that do go off and play other sports like football, particularly when they have a talent for it. You never know when or if they return they will be better for it.

Fix the dumps they have to play in and then they might think twice about leaving the game.

Not every one lives for basketball.

Reply #139486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i wouldnt say the stadium is a dump..ok il give u that crt 2 appauling and should be teared up, the whole room expanded and some new boards layed. However, lets be honest crt1 really is one of the better courts in the state - there isnt that much wrong with it.If something similar was done with court 2 also it would be a good stadium

Reply #139550 | Report this post

tmp  
Years ago

The Marion and Hillcrest Stadiums are fairly poor standard. Freezing in winter, boiling hot in summer and facilities/amenities are below acceptable.
Ironically,at Pasadena, (Sturt) the steel poles and railings at the eastern end of Ct One are down right dangerous.
Pasadena has the best coffee!!

Reply #139918 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754