Bizzy
Years ago

Bill Simmons - How Memories Fade

Just read an interesting article by the man Bill Simmon's about whether "greatness" has a shelf life?

Does greatness have a shelf life? I would say no, but we do tend to forget some of the amazing things that have happened in past, when we see something fantastic in the present.

Greatness?

Bill Simmon's speaking in regard to Bron's 48 point night -

More than a few people played the "MJ was great, but he never had a game like that!" card, as if Jordan's remarkable career needed to be demeaned for everyone to fully respect what LeBron had accomplished. I even wrote online that Jordan never physically overpowered an opponent the way LeBron ramshackled the Pistons and compared him to Bo Jackson and the way he wreaked havoc in his prime.

So what do people think. Does greatness really have a shelf life?

Topic #11966 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

This is the beauty of sport, would Bill Russel be able to compete against Shaq? would Schumacher have been as dominante and as succesful had Ayrton been around longer? Would Gilcrist be as good if he was facing Gardner, Holding, Marshall from the Windies line up etc etc

2 years ago i would have thought i would never have seen any one beat Valentino Rossi consistantly and i bet when Mick Doohan retired as a 5 time world champ he thought that he would live long in the history books.

you can drag examples from any era into a "front bar discusion" on sports and life in general

The old back in my day line will never go out of fashion

Reply #139787 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

interesting thoughts kent!

would bradman have the same average if he played as much cricket as the modern-day cricketer?

how would champion footballers of the past keep up with todays game?

??????

i think your view on this will depend on what era you remember most, or what sportsman made the greatest impression on you!

Reply #140006 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:11 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754