Years ago

A Question for Those from the USA...

Just a question for those who either grew up or have spent time in the US.

When I read SLAM Magazine, and they talk about top high school guys from the US, they mention what school they play for etc., but often also mention that they play for an AAU team. I understand AAU stands for 'American Athletic Union' or something.

What I want to ask is AAU similar to our district comp? Like is that the US equivalent or something?

Topic #11994 | Report this topic

iva bigass  
Years ago

amateur athletic union? (googled aau): "A US based organization dedicated to the promotion and development of amateur sports. "

try here: www.aausports.org/

Reply #140018 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Higschool players play for their schools during their (US) autum and winter this is the only time they can play "organised B/ball" during the school year (strict NCAA regulations). With the exception of Sanctioned (by NCAA) AAU events.

These events and training are at the end of the school year ie June,July and August. This allows players and College coaches to have limmited contact (see) players at camps and tournaments.

There are some very good AAU organisations and some very average. One of the better ones, where my son went to, is the Howard Pulley (Nike Sponsored)in Minnesota. This organisation has trials and is esentially the best of the state that are grouped into ages and standard who then travel to various NCAA approved tournaments. And this is the best place to get noticed. One that Jason was at is somewere in Kansas City and was massive with every D1,2 &3 Nike sponsered college being represented.

Reply #140024 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

that one at kentucky is called the Kentucky Pro Am..It is a high competetive tournament..

Reply #140207 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:50 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754