E3 LJ
Years ago

Kobe for Vlade - worst trade ever?

in 1996 Kobe was drafted by charlotte. Then Traded for vlade divac. Worst Trade in history?

Topic #12012 | Report this topic

haha... no. worst is Robert the tractor Traylor for Dirk.

Reply #140244 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

yeah kobe for vlade was awful...tractor for dirk awful...the most recent i can recall was vince carter for zo, eric williams and aaron williams...zo never played a minute for toronto...eric williams sat on the bench and earned money for it before he was out..and aaron williams is one of the worst players in history and hardly touched the court either...

worst pick ever is obviously when the blazers went with sam bowie at 2 over mj who went at 3..interesting enough - the bulls picked some unknown the year before..just before portlands pick where they selected clyde drexler..i think portlant must've felt guilty or sometihng

Reply #140258 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Yeah, it was a terrible trade, but you have to know that Kobe demanded the trade before the draft even happened by saying that he will never play for the Hornets if they pick him. He was a whiny little bugger then, as he still is now.

Reply #140262 | Report this post

Surmdog  
Years ago

Ennis Whatley Was the player picked by the Bulls before Portland picked Drexler

Reply #140278 | Report this post

Unit  
Years ago

The trade between the Warriors and Celtics, where Boston landed Robert Parish and Kevin Mchale. I don't remember who the Warriors got, but if they were any good im sure i'd remember them and wouldn't be bagging the trade.

Reply #140315 | Report this post

whm  
Years ago

the guy was joe barry carrol, he was the number one draft choice, but he was no good...

Pippen was drafted by the sonics and traded for sidney green or olden polynice if my memory serves me correctly..

T-Mac for francis, mobley and cato was pretty bad, even if orlando is now probably in a better position than houston..

Barkley for hornaceck

Phoenix giving their draft rights to chicago for cash and chicago picking deng.

Shaq for butler, odom and chump change

Reply #140323 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

in a better position that houston??? thats a veeery questionable statement...veeeeeery questionable...in fact its just wrong

Reply #140328 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

From 7 to 12 were not great picks either that year. Deep draft. Two MVPs and lots of Allstars.

1 Philadelphia Allen Iverson G Georgetown
2 Toronto Marcus Camby F Massachusetts
3 Vancouver Shareef Abdur-Rahim F California
4 Milwaukee Stephon Marbury G Georgia Tech
5 Minnesota Ray Allen G Connecticut
6 Boston Antoine Walker F Kentucky
7 L.A. Clippers Lorenzen Wright F Memphis
8 New Jersey Kerry Kittles G Villanova
9 Dallas Samaki Walker F Louisvile
10 Indiana Erick Dampier C Mississippi State
11 Golden State Todd Fuller C North Carolina State
12 Cleveland Vitaly Potapenko C Wright State
13 Charlotte Kobe Bryant G Lower Merion HS
14 Sacramento Predrag Stojakovic F PAOK (Greece)
15 Phoenix Steve Nash G Santa Clara
16 Charlotte Tony Delk G Kentucky
17 Portland Jermaine O'Neal C Eau Claire HS
18 New York John Wallace F Syracuse
19 New York Walter McCarty F Kentucky
20 Cleveland Zydrunas Ilgauskas C Atletas Kaunas (Lithuania)

Reply #140330 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

whats funny is all those people were in front of kobe and Nash, and look where they are now

Reply #140338 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

If people knew their history about this trade it isn't so bad...

Having a crystal ball would make everyone's life easier.

Kobe put in his wish list and openly stated that any team selecting him which isn't on his list he'd refuse to sign with and play in Italy where his father is highly regarded.

The Nets worked out Kobe 3 times and fell in love with him, they wined and dined his parents, but his crazy demand scared them away.

Immediately after the draft, Bryant said that he did not wish to play for the Hornets and wanted to play for the Lakers instead.

The Lakers approached Charlotte and organised the trade. The year before Charlotte lost Zo to the Heat and didn't have a presence in the middle.

Vlade at the time was a near double double centre who also threw in 2bpg. If someone offered me a double double centre for some snotnose, bitching kid that hasn't proven himself in the NBA I'd be taking it, especially when that kid is taken at No 13.

Do people actually realise that Vlade joins Olajuwon and Kareem as the only players in NBA history to score over 13,000 points, 9,000 rebounds, 3,000 assists and 1,500 blocked shots.

You want bad trades try:

Julius Erving for cash

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, Junior Bridgeman and Dave Meyers

Utah Trades rights to Dominique Wilkins to Atlanta for John Drew, Freeman Williams, and cash

Charles Barkley to Phoenix for Jeff Hornacek, Tim Perry and Andrew Lang

Reply #140360 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Quick edit:

Vlade at the time was a near double double centre who also threw in 2bpg. If someone offered me a double double centre for some snotnose, bitching kid that hasn't proven himself in COLLEGE I'd be taking it, especially when that kid is taken at No 13.

Reply #140361 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

yes tr.....

but now we are looking at it now - same way we are looking at the jordan draft...might not have been stupid at the time but now look how bad it looks..theres a story behind every trade we understand that - but 5-10 years down the track - how good was the trade? kobe became a pretty solid player...

Reply #140367 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I agree with you jules, and you look at it now and wonder what batch of coke Shinn was sniffing at time, but without the benefit of the a crystal ball who would of known Kobe would of blown up to what he is today.

Who knows, maybe in 5 years time we'll all be saying why in hell did the Portland select Oden over Durant, or how wasn't Conley Jr the number one pick.

I just hope B.Wright doesn't explode and make the J-Rich trade look silly.... Please bust, and hope J-Rich becomes an all-star in the East.

Reply #140370 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

yeah...so when stuff like that does happen u go...wow...that trade worked out pretty badly...and that is why the kobe-vlade trade was shite...regardless of why the teams pulled the trigger on it

Reply #140372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about the effort Twolves made to get Mike James... only to trade him the next season for Juwan Howard?

Reply #140376 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Ah ooh ooh I got one,

Will Purdue and future second round pick for

Dennis Rodman.

mmmmm

Reply #140380 | Report this post

Bfresh  
Years ago

How about my $2.95 for those shitty wicked wings from KFC? those things are just oily crap.

Reply #140652 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:18 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754