Isaac
Years ago

Smyth: No plan to replace Newley yet

"Obviously we're a better side with Brad in it but we're not going to rush off and sign someone," Smyth said.

"We'll wait and see what happens and make an educated decision."
More info here

The fact is that right now, the 36ers and Newley don't quite know where he'll be, and I suspect Houston might not have made a final decision either.

What's your call in this situation? Wait and see before working out what to do? Or put in the time immediately to come up with a back-up plan?

A few teams (especially Singapore should they play on) could still be in the hunt for players so the pool of free agents is very, very thin.

Adelaide have strength at Newley's position (IMO), but both of our import spots are taken which could limit things.

Newley is a top-tier player in terms of the points and salary caps which helps.

Topic #12031 | Report this topic

isaac. ur heading is slightly wrong, it should read: Smyth: no plan.
4 ever waiting, losing out, not keeping and if only is all too familiar.

Reply #140459 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Give them 4-6 weeks, all will be okay...

Reply #140461 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I love the 4-6 week joke......

Reply #140466 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Has Newley said he will only leave if signed by an NBA team? E.g. if Houston doesn't sign him could he bolt to Europe? Or the NBDL?

If he has committed to the 6ers unless he specifically goes to the NBA, I would wait. If he has made no promises, I would look for someone else. Tough call, though.

Reply #140500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

think he has all the outs but he said publically that he would rather play nbl than rot at the end of a euro bench. That said if the rockets say go to europe he would be on the first plane.

Reply #140509 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I think you have to wait and see. Even without him we have a better 9 players than last season and we are overloaded at the guard spot.

Reply #140513 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He said he'd not want to rot on a Euro bench when the cards on the table were NBA, Europe and NBL. Now, the single card on the table is pretty much Houston's, and it's their call. i.e., his thoughts of playing in Europe are (I'd guess) less of a factor.

Reply #140525 | Report this post

Milko  
Years ago

What is the deal with Adam Ballinger in relation to citizenship. A previous article by Boti had him quite confident that he would play as an Australian for the sixers around the time Adam signed.

Reply #140530 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Was touched on in the other thread but the Rockets currently have the following players signed as far as I know it for next season:

1 Yao Ming
2 Chuck Hayes (Restricted free agent)
3 Battier
4 McGrady
5 Alston
6 Mike James
7 Luther Head
8 Aaron Brooks
9 Spanoulis
10 Wells
11 Snyder
12 Reed
13 Novak

You would assume that they will re-sign at least two of their free agents of Mutumbo, Tsakalidis, Lucas and Sura which will take them up to their 15 roster positions.

That also leaves the Rockets other second round draft pick, Carl Landry (PF) who was the first pick of the second round who you would assume has a better shot of making the final roster than Newley.

The 36ers are doing the right thing waiting for Newley. A great effort for him to get drafted but will be very difficult to crack Houston's roster given the amount of guards already on its roster.

Reply #140543 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

hey stephon your still there :)

i think the sixers should wait and see what happens,

ppl would scream murder if we signed someone then newley was available and ppl would also scream murder if we wait and dont sign anyone

damned if they do, damned if they dont a classic catch 22

Reply #140556 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thomo, the suggestion isn't to run out and sign someone - they can't. It's that they might want to have some feelers out, talk to a few options and lay some preparatory work in case Newley is unavailable.

e.g., "Damien Ryan, if Newley goes OS, we might have $xxxk to spend on a shooting guard. We should know more in 3-4 weeks. Just wanted to let you know in case you could hold off on signing in Europe or with Perth?"

Maybe he (or someone similar) says "Bird in the hand, sorry" or maybe they don't sign anything in a hurry.

Reply #140560 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

yep understand isaac just refering to a post in a previous thread calling mal silly for even signing him,

selfishly i hope they say not this year to newley, and allow him to play a season here

but for the exposure of australian basketball i hope he makes it now and gives it a red hot crack

Reply #140563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Newley gone, they can sign another 40+ year old to boost their average age!

Reply #140564 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Who should they target if Newley goes??? should they get another shooting guard???
I would look at guys like Damien Ryan, Aaron Trahair, Mark Dickel, Phil Jones, as i dont think there are any aussie/nz guards better than them available, if i couldnt get one of them maybe take a chance on a youngster like a returninc college player like a Stefan Blazynski. If they looked at guys who are not guards, who else is left just guys like Derek Moore, Frank Drmic or younger guys like Kickert. It will be interesting to see what happens, they may just put someone like Eric Burdon in the 10 and give guys like Davidson, Sutton, Copeland and Ng a extra 5-10 mins each to cover Newleys loss.
I say its a upgrade on last years team either way and good luck to Newley!

Reply #140567 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

again with the old jokes

Reply #140587 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Found this:

The team's other selection, Australia's Brad Newley, could wind up joining the Rockets' Class of 2007 at the NBA's summer league in Las Vegas.
And as I mentioned in another thread, Houston paid US$200,000 for that pick.

Reply #140591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 4-6 weeks jokes still work!

Why not the "old" jokes?

They're both from last season!

Reply #140592 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Stephon,

The problem isn't whether he cracks Houston's roster, it's how highly Houston rate the NBL.

If Newley makes their roster, he's gone. If he doesn't, are they more likely to send him to Europe or the D-League for development?

Certainly the D-League would keep him closer to them so they can monitor him.

Not having a plan b, or at least an idea of what they MAY do in the event he doesn't return is just plain dumb, IMHO.

But either way, it's not just a case of making the rockets squad or playing for Adelaide.

Reply #140642 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Please can the the old jokes be filtered and banned to stop those trying to be funny!

Reply #140653 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

i cant believe im actually going to say this , i agree with 123abc.

Reply #140658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*shock*... *jaw drops*

someone actually agreeing to what 123abc has to say!

Reply #140688 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

i know i know im allready regreting it got me a morphine induced moment

Reply #140695 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:00 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754