Sir Charles
Years ago

Is Rychart a legit medal chance

In relation to the games Dusty has played there is no question that he has been very influential in every performance, but in relation to Boti's article today it got me thinking.
He did miss 4 games while back home and also Eric Burdon is having one hell of a season as is Micheal Zorich. I wonder if these guys would take votes off him?
I think Mathews still has to be a chance too...will be an interesting count this year, may come down to the votes in that round 18 battle between North and Norwood as to who gets it.
Thoughts?...

Topic #12032 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I decided to go along and watch Saturday's game. While Dusty was influential he just went about his job with little fanfare or fuss.

The high energy games of Michael Zorich and Eric Burdon were impressive, as was some of the emerging talent out there.

I'm just wondering, are medal points given before or after the refs review statistics. If before I wonder whether or not Dusty's efficient and and fussless (?) way he plays the game might mean he misses out on some votes.

Reply #140452 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Well, not just referees vote, coaches on each side vote as well. So smart people will notice the efficieny and hustle and award accordingly.

Have 10 points to award to any player and any amount.

So can give one player 10 points, two players 5, or spread it out as you like.

At least, was in my day, unless voting system has changed?

Reply #140468 | Report this post

Pyzam  
Years ago

Dusty really just does his thing out there without you even noticing .. I think that hurts him in the long run for any kind of recognition off of the court simply because no one really notices what he does until they read the box scores. You dont see many players like him..

Reply #140469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All that aside...

Boxscores or not...

When you watch an ABA game where Dusty is playing, he clearly is the most dominant player out there...

that alone should get him 3 votes each game.

Reply #140473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not sure that coaches vote for the Halls\Wallacott!!

Its a 3,2,1 vote from the referees on each game. Like the AFL Brownlow and SANFL Megary medals.

The coaches, if they vote(????), must be for something else.

Reply #140479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

coachs vote for the awards after the game . 10 votes one player cant get more then 5 votes .

Reply #140484 | Report this post

true  
Years ago

The coaches votes go towards the all-star 5 at the end of the year!

Reply #140487 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I don't agree. Dusty should not get the medal as he is a player well and truly above the league he is playing. I would be inclined to reward an upcoming player who has really shown a great deal of improvement. one who comes to mind immediately is Marcus Ng. I can't believe the difference in quality in his game this year as opposed to previous years. This is the sort of achievement I would be rewarding at ABA level. Eric Burdon is also a good candidate. He has improved immensely at ABA level while not having a great deal of experience at NBL level.

Reply #140490 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Is it a nice medal? Worth anything?

If Dusty gets it, it could be on ebay within minutes. Or in the "D-Rych online Store".

Reply #140494 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

EC, are you okay, should we call a doctor??

he he....

But does that mean if an NBA player playes in the NBL, he should not win MVP?

Reply #140505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats why Mark Davis won it so many times u tool EC - cos he was an up and comer

Reply #140507 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Thats a lot of aggression for a young man #140507.

Reply #140510 | Report this post

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

Todd Matthews is my smokey.

Reply #140517 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

#140507, it was a personal opinion that everyone is entitled to. Not claiming to be fact nor trying to change the rules, therefore not showing ignorance at all you tool.

Reply #140519 | Report this post

Tool  
Years ago

Todd Matthews in a landslide!!!

Reply #140523 | Report this post

Andy Millman  
Years ago

matthews

Reply #140529 | Report this post

david  
Years ago

Dusty, not for any reasons given above, but only for marketing purposes and to keep the faithful happy and content. No other no namers have a chance. Dusty was pre-ordained, he is the chosen one.

Reply #140537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC, that is the most idiotic point of view that I have ever heard about anything!

What you have described is what is called the most improved player award, which I don't believe exists. Maybe you should take that angle EC, bring in a most improved player award.

Reply #140538 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC's sentiment might not be practical or exist in any competition, but surely you can appreciate her intention - to reward those who are all about the ABL, and not just filling in an off-season. Pretty harsh responses. Keep it fair people.

Play the ball, not the man.

Reply #140547 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Anon #140538, I'm guessing you've never listened to question time in Parliament then.....

Reply #140551 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, why would you suggest my sentiments may not be practical? The Halls/Woollacott medal is an award specific to the ABA. I think a true ABA player should be rewarded with this award. One who has played several years and has shown the most improvement every year to reach the great level they are currently at. This also includes NBL players who have consistently played in the ABA for several years e.g. Oscar Forman, Jacob Holmes, David Cooper, Darren Ng etc. For a player of Dusty's calibre, in his first year with the ABA and not likely to continue in years to come, I don't think he should take it away from them. He was a great player before he joined the Rockets, he hasn't worked his way up the ABA ladder of greatness.

Reply #140553 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's playing in the ABL, so he can win the ABL MVP. Anything else, isn't practical. If Coops won it in his first year, who was to say he wouldn't suit again for the Flames? What's to say that Dusty won't play again even if he intends not to?

Too subjective, and not at all practical.

Reply #140558 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

The Halls/Woollacott is for the best player in either the Womens or Mens CABL.

There is no reference to how long you have played in the league or how you have improved. Just the best judged player.

Reply #140572 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754