Isaac
Years ago

Breakers sign Jones and Winitana

The NZ Breakers have signed Tall Blacks Phill Jones and Paora Winitana to their roster, on two and one year deals respectively.

Jones has recently plied his trade in Europe, and Winitana is coming off a strong season in the NZ NBL with the runner-up Hawks.

Jones last played with the Breakers in 2004, averaging 14 PPG.

The signings pretty much confirm that Ryan Kersten and Brent Charleton have been pushed outside of a ten man roster, and leave NZ with just two imports to sign.

Import/Henare/Kersten
Penney/Jones/Charleton
Forman/Winitana
Ronaldson/Vukona
Import/Behrendorff

They were beaten to Abney's signature by a monstrous offer from Cairns and are rumoured to be interested in EJ Rowland.

Need a strong rebounder with that PF/C import I think.

Topic #12074 | Report this topic

Breakers  
Years ago

They are looking tough... NBL should be interesting..

Reply #140897 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

With Winitana in the roster, hope they don't have too many Sunday games for religious reasons.

Reply #140905 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(Oops, EC beat me to it. Anyway, my post was...)

Forgot to mention it for the five people left who haven't heard, but Winitana's situation is a bit interesting - he doesn't play at all on Sundays because of his religious belief.

The Breakers have four Sunday games during the 2007/08 season.

Reply #140906 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

What religion is he?

Reply #140913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would say he is 7DA or Mormon, as an All Black rugby player who was, even missed playing Test matches for his country. That is true devotion.

Reply #140922 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

I going to definitely go to the Breakers Vs Sixer game this year, just to see Kurt Penny Vs Brett Maher

Kurt Penny is a gun and could almost be the early favourite for the league MVP award.

Reply #140939 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Paora Winitana is ordained with the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints.

Of note, he was named the NZNBL's 2006 MVP and missed his team's semi-final because of his beliefs.

Reply #140943 | Report this post

Aims  
Years ago

Paora religion is Morman

Reply #140945 | Report this post

Wanaka Warrior  
Years ago

Paora Winitana is a Bishop in the Mormon Church.

Paora also leads the Tall Blacks Haka. He is one fearsome dude.

Reply #140957 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Bishop leading the haka: Tall Blacks Wallpaper - Bradshaw reminds me of that giant from 300!

Reply #140966 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:25 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754