Fish
Years ago

NBL vs D-League

How would NBL teams go against D-League teams??

Topic #12081 | Report this topic

jules  
Years ago

not well

Reply #140974 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

actually - reallllllly badly

Reply #140975 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

I beg to differ... The whole d-league is loaded with guys who mostly can only have wet dreams about the NBA - which is the level of most of the imports we get in the NBL - given that most NBL teams have at least 1-2 Locals who are at inport level as well - i don't believe it would be that lopsided at all... In fact i think it would be an even contest... The leap in quality from D-League to NBA is huge...

Reply #140978 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

are u kidding me??!!

the d-leauge is where nba teams place their unwanted-for-now players in so they still are playing basketball...luke schenscher played barley any minutes in his d-league team and he would absolutely carve up in the nbl...the developement league is full of youth and players that actually have careers up their sleeve...wouldnt even be close

Reply #140983 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think Luke would carve up the NBL.

I reckon a top NBL team would do OK, but the bottom NBL teams would get soundly beaten.

Reply #140987 | Report this post

Grote 31  
Years ago

Nah i agree with Jules - No way would an NBL team be able to compete with a developement league team. Like Jules said, their teams are stoked with young, athletic players, who have recently made an NBA roster.

It wouldn't even be a contest

Reply #140989 | Report this post

Grote 31  
Years ago

Any Luke wouldn't carve up? What is he like 7'4? That would be enough in the NBL, on top of that, he was in the NBA last season.

He would ABSOLUTELY DOMINATE

Reply #140990 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's not 7'4" and I don't think he would. I reckon he'd do about 15 and 9. A big man dominating would be 25/12 or more.

Look at someone like Jerome Beasley - had something like 25 points in the D-League but was a bit of an out-of-shape bust in the NBL.

Most NBL teams would get dismantled, but Brisbane last year, Melbourne at their best and Cairns this season might be competitive.

Reply #140994 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Hey jules, Luke made the D-League All-star game, so obviously he played decent minutes and played well. Oh, and he made the NBA because of what he did the D-L.

I agree with Isaac about the bottom teams in the NBL, Singapore and West Sydney, getting smashed, but I think that majority of NBL teams would be on par with the D-League.

Reply #140997 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Sometimes people need to separate reality from marketing - it's a simple game (even the NBA isn't that great relative to the rest of the world anymore - moreso for their feeder)... Sticking a ball through a steel ring its a simple game... Whoever can do it more times than the other team wins... How many guys ever made a career from getting called up from the old US CBA??? (before the D-League - the one Isaiah bought and ran onto the ground) - very few... I guarantee that 10 years from now very few guys will have come from the d-leauge AND MADE CAREERS (10 dayers don't count as success i'm sorry)... My AUD 0.02...

Reply #141001 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

How mand D-Leaguers actually make it to a roster spot - and were not talking 10 day contracts or fill in roles. How many EARN are good enough to make the move.

Reply #141010 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Schenscher is 7'1 for the record - that makes for an absolute man in the nbl...good point about beasley isaac - but he had trouble coz he came in months into the season and on top of that he was overweight and out of shape...it was a terrible signing...and the best player in the nbl at the moment sammy mac is trying to get into the nba, and his chances are not THAT great...surely that gives you some kind of indication about how good schenscher really is in comparison to our nbl 'stars'.

and i didnt know schenscher made the all-star game..but i do know he only averaged 20mins per game..which is only a half of basketball...and averaged 9 and 6

and dj - a shit load more than any nbl players thats for sure

heres a list of former d-league players now in the nba...or vice versa...u cant tell me every single player on that list would tear the nbl to shreads...considering our best import's are pulled from unknown div 2-5 euro teams

Reply #141018 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

http://www.nba.com/dleague/nba_players.html

sorry - forgot to post that

Reply #141020 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Beasley got those points in the D-League in the same out-of-shape condition...

And you can't compare Schensch with Mackinnon - there's a lot less competition at the 7' end of the scale.

I wish him every bit of success, but I don't think anyone should expect Luke to dominate the NBL. I think he'd be more of a steady contributor, rather than at the level of Chris Burgess, for example.

Reply #141030 | Report this post

B Real  
Years ago

Anstey is 7 foot and is so much better and athletic than Luke S. Anstey Averages about 20-10 there is no way that Luke would come into this league and dominate.. lucky to get 13-8 averages...

Reply #141033 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Oh come on b real (oooohhh! u see what i did just there...) DID U READ THE LIST?! come on....back to the topic of who would win please

Reply #141035 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

They should create a 3 league tournament comprising of the top 4 teams from the D-LEAGUE,ANBL and NCAA College..Now wouldnt that be interesting...i would love that..who would win?

Reply #141036 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

oh and johnny sack - the comedian - the nba isnt that great anymore compared to the rest of the world - that is bogus...the nba is leaps and bounds above anything...u know why - coz its full of the best players in the world...u dominate in ur spanish team or whatever...guess what? ur going to the nba - its the international game that is catching up and mainly just coz the US dont prioritize it.

Reply #141038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke wouldn't dominate u20's. Most unco sportsman this country has ever seen!

Reply #141045 | Report this post

Johhny Sack  
Years ago

Jules - check out last years Euro Tour results against the Top Euroleaugue teams... Ask yourself why the McDonalds Championship is done (a few years back the informal World Club Championships) but has not been held for years now???... Why??? Cuse the NBA is ####scared about the bad publicity they would get if they got flogged... I am really tiring of the NBA/USA basketball apologists/rest of the world down rampers...

Reply #141053 | Report this post

Johhny Sack  
Years ago

Jules - you gotta remember that the D-League pays absolute peanuts (even relative to our league)... I beleive that the average salary is about USD40k... Now - if you are a realist and think to yourself: "Do i go and play in Europe, Asia, South America, Australia (and so on) for pretty decent money - and try to realize my (at best) flimsy NBA aspirations by getting summer league looks... OR waste 6 months of the year (and my short pro career) at 20-30% of what i could get elsewhere in the NBDL and not have that great an improvement in my chances... Fact is most quality (undrafted) players would rather go the former (it`s common and economic sense)... Drafted players (2nd rounders) sometimes play D-League at their teams wishes (i am not sure but i wonder if they get some kind of monetary compensation from their drafting team for giving up the OS $$$, DMS, Lira etc???)... That is why our players come from "crappy" 2-3 div teams but are on par if not above the average D-Leauge pleb... Why do you reckon Luke wants to come back - homesick??? (perhaps), money (most definitely)... He can make 4-5 times his salary in the NBL... And the fact is he would be a solid (but unspectacular pivotman in the NBL - average a double double and maybe 2 blocks but that`s about it...)...

Reply #141067 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

If the 06/07 Spurs went to the McDonalds Championship they would wipe every team by at least 20.. they would wipe them royally

Reply #141075 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, but you might have said the same of the US Mens team against various European/SouthAm countries too and see how that's gone recently. You wouldn't want to be your house on something like that!

Reply #141083 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

one more time

http://www.nba.com/dleague/nba_players.html

Reply #141084 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

and isaac - the international game is different and people knew going in that teams are catching up to usa - its not the same thing...the spurs would dismantle everyone...probably including the USA...and i mean if usa prioritised the olympics im sure their team would like something similiar to this

shaq
duncan
kg
kobe
lebron

with just as an amazing bench...translation..gold medal

Reply #141085 | Report this post

Johhny Sack  
Years ago

Glad that someone broached the Spurs... What style of game do they play... They are the best of both worlds, they play a mainly Euro/Sth America flavour of basketball within the NBA context... 2 out of their 3 stars are Intls (and Duncan is decidedly European in his playing style...)... Whether deliberately or not Popp and Buford have got a Euroleague Team (admittedly with significantly higher average players and at least two guys who will be NBA HOFers)... I notice that Toronto have picked up on this as well -

San Antonio - would wipe anyone with their squad... But we are talking about one of the best teams ever (if not the greatest - and i hate the Spurs!!!)...

Reply #141087 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You keep posting that list, but that D-League list is overall D-League experience. We're talking about NBL team vs D-League team. Not Mikki Moore, Skip, Udoka, Matt Barnes, Gerald Green, etc.

And the NBL would have imports/stars that could compete with those NBA hopefuls but just aren't contending for NBA spots because they're tweeners (Powell) or no longer 19 years old with "tremendous upside".

Reply #141088 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

johhny sack....what has any of that got to do with nbdl vs nbl...ANY of it...????? seriously? i dont see any aussies in these teams...and that would be the only way that it could be any kind of relevance to this...
and guys dont always explore money...they think they have a fair shot at the nba and thats probably one of the best ways to do it - so dont give me percentages of their chances etc - coz it happens..BOTTOM LINE

and since when did luke want to come back home? from what ive seen lately he is pretty reluctant to leave the states..

and the list still says the quality of players that were in the nbdl...meaning guys on their now might be on that list soon - and the list still has current players on it...so it does count for A LOT

seeing as there is absolutely NO way of prooving this its gonna go round and round in circles so leave it at that

and the US mens team last time wasnt stacked the way it COULD be...im talking the big guns..kobe, shaq, duncan...where are they? and their loss was DEVISTATING! wasn't it? when they lost u all went NO WAY! coz thats how good they are - thats their expectations, and it was obvious when watching those games how laid back they were, thinking they were gonna roll over everyone..WRONG...ive already said how the international game is catching up - BUT if u watched the game like i did - u would pin it down to things such as the idiot coaching moves by coach K who clearly had no idea what he was doing..benching howard pretty much the entire second half when he was dominating? putting skinny chris bosh on that 932 pound guy with the long name..having a line up in the final quarter of chris paul, wade, melo, lebron and joe johnson...wtf...?? things might not be so close if they went all out - i would be 100 confident in betting everything i own and love on a US team maxed out to its full potential winning every game, and very...VERY comfertably.

Reply #141091 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Luke is only prioritising NBA and Europe ahead of the NBL because they are stronger leagues that pay more - e.g., smarter career choice to give it a shot. He simply wouldn't dominate the NBL, that's not his style. The gap in his numbers from college to NBA to NBL wouldn't be as great as with other players - like how Matt Sutton is handy in the NBL and doesn't dominate the ABL.

You can talk about all those guys that get place in a D-League team to develop, but that's 1-2 guys per team, not a full roster. A lot of those guys will go nowhere fast because weaknesses will get found out, they won't play a team-game, etc.

Cairns this year would give a D-League side a shake. Darnell once played NBA and wouldn't have really dropped off the pace too far. Black is a potential Boomer depending on the quality of the squad. Cattalini was a Boomer and can still score (as shown last year). Tucker can hold his own. Abney wouldn't be too far from D-League level. They could throw in Boodnikoff, Grabau and Jawai here and there to give the stars a rest. None would excel, but they wouldn't give up a tonne of ground.

Reply #141095 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

yep - except u had no response for the US squad - thats what i was looking for as i said coz its so opinionated that no conclusion would ever be come to...abney ALMOST at nbdl level..?? thats what u said and yet hes probably one of the best nbl players we've seen in the last 5-10 years...but hes ALMOST at their level..surely that gives u something - although i do agree..if anyone..cairns would make it...a game to some degree

Reply #141098 | Report this post

Johhny Sack  
Years ago

Let me guess you are one of thoise guys that has a Man U and Brazil jersey as well???

Its a simple game... Fact of the matter the US lost the semi-final in Japan lst year primarily cause they played a team that was far better prepared than them... The whole fully loaded argument is reundant cause - they played with the team that they had and should still have played with more heart (and hit its free throws) and i have no doubt they would have been in the final... Greece are not a team of chumps (Schorsanitis was unstoppable (no-one even Howard could stop his 300lbs or so) and they were on fire from the perimeter)... Yes Coach K was suspect, and leaving Agent Zero at home might have been a mistake... But that`s life - fact of the matter is they are only as good as thier last WC`s and Olympics... Piffling rule changes or not... This is the shape of things to come mark my words - the USA will never have it like they did in the 90`s...

Reply #141100 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

no i dont own a manchester united top, or a brazil top

...??

Reply #141102 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't agree that Abney is one of the best we've seen in 5-10 years. A good import, but nothing outrageous. His numbers have been on par with so many others. I'd take a Chris Burgess long before an Abney for example.

Didn't bother responding to the US squad comment because it's just as subjective - so, they add Kobe and what then? Maybe team chemistry gets destroyed. You're saying this in retrospect, but before the World Champs you would've been like everyone thinking that USA was going to drill all competition.

I'm not letting you pick your dream team because they didn't have one there. Just like you can't pick a best of the D-League and I'm not picking an NBL All-Star side.

When I found Rod Benson's site the other day, I wondered if he'd be worth trying to coax to the NBL - he's 10 and 6 in the D-League for the champions, and 6'10". But I'm not sure he'd be good enough for the Breakers' PF/C import. I'm not convinced that he'd be better than Abney, for example.

Now, look me up if Schenscher plays NBL in the next year or two and we can make a bet...

Reply #141104 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Interesting side note here. Are the imports playing in the NBL today better or worse than say 10-15 years ago? I say no but then again is my judgement clouded as the Aussie component has improved to a level where the import doesn't dominate as they did back then?

Reply #141116 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Have you guys thinking Schensch would dominate, actually seen the guy play? He'd get tip ins and offensive rebounds, and dunks and layups from guards driving...mayb the rare 10ft jumper but thats it. he is not a guy you throw it into in the post and let him go to work. NBA teams have their scorers guys like Schensch are just there for insurance

Reply #141124 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Soak up some fouls, try and pick up some blocks. Still very useful to an NBL team - maybe a bit like a bigger, better David Cooper? That's my guess anyway.

Reply #141130 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Its an interesting comparison the D-league and the NBL. I think it would be 50/50. My only concern with the NBL teams competing is could they cover the athleticism on the floor 1 thru 5?

Reply #141137 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Athleticism to D-League... Professionalism/Teamwork to NBL...

D-Leaguers are out to get theirs and hopefully an NBA gig (hence the itenerant nature of the rosters)...

NBLers have got their contracts and generally know their place in the team structure (on the main), and in most cases (for better teams) have played together a while...

End result (IMHO) too close to call... I reckon though i'd take professionalism/teamwork over world class athletes any day...

Reply #141144 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754