NBL Star
Years ago

2008 NBL Season

In your opinion what NBL team has done the best recruiting and will improve the most during the 2007/2008 season?

Can the Bullets Repeat?

Topic #12089 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Cairns have bought themselves away from two average imports, kept Darnell and Cat, added Black, stolen Abney and picked up Tucker. Plus added a monster rookie.

I don't think Brisbane will repeat.

Front-runners will be Cairns, Sydney and Melbourne I'd say.

Reply #141061 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

last season dragons had a good mix of individuals who at times didnt playh well as a team, but this year may be different after picking up more good players llike

cortez groves
brad hill
nick horvath
luke martin
mat tburston
shannon seebohm

not a bad off season i reckon.

still would put money on brissy again, especially seeing they seem to have kept mackinnon after fears of him being drafted.

Reply #141063 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Brad Hill is still having nerve problems I think - some doubt over whether he'll even play?

Remember that the Dragons also lost Kavossy and Rosell from last year.

Brisbane have replaced Bradtke with Bradshaw, picked up Brown (six figures poorly spent in Perth!) and lost Stephen Black - not convinced that they've improved while Sydney and Cairns definitely have. Then if they lose Mackinnon, they're in trouble IMO.

Reply #141064 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

I think the 36ers have done well in terms of recruiting, would be behind Cairns and Melb, but from where we were to what we have now i would say we have improved the list substantially (that also depends alot on the Newley situation!)

In saying that, im not sure about Sydney, apart from losing Barlow and gaining Saville what else have they done? What imports have they signed up. Melbourne would have to be frontrunners at this stage.

Reply #141065 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I like what the Dragons, Cairns and sixers have done this off season. I think the front runners for the title would have to be Cairns, Melbourne and maybe Brisbane and Sydney.

Reply #141071 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

If the sixers do manage to keep Newley for a year surely they'd have to be a favourite..

Newley
Maher
Ballinger
Chappell
Davidson
Dench (who looks very fit)

Pretty solid, plus the second team who is also quite solid.. I like the balance of the team

Reply #141073 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't Sydney make the semi-final last season with two average imports and a decent player injured? Put in two good imports and Saville, plus Goorjian's coaching, they will be tough.

Reply #141076 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I think NZ have put a team on the park that they can be confident of making the playoffs with. Same with Adelaide.

Cairns is just a monster. But I am predicting they will have 'gelling' issues such as the 05/06 Brisbane side that was expected to take all before them.

My early predictions:

1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane (if McKinnon plays)
3. Cairns
4. Perth
5. Sydney
6. Adelaide/New Zealand
7. New Zealand/Adelaide
8. Dragons

Then the poor recruiters:

Gold Coast

And the very unimpressive recruiters:

Townsville, West Sydney, Wollongong

And the atrocious recruiters:

Singapore

Actually, when you look at the line ups there is not really much competition for the 8.

Reply #141079 | Report this post

**Balla**  
Years ago

Sydney will struggle this year, they were average last year and are on a downhill slide. Team chemistry will be a problem as they try and throw out 3 or 4 imports during the season again. They are very weak in the guard positions and you can't afford to be in this league.

Adelaide if they end up with Newley are the dark horse along with Perth and Dragons.

Melbourne and Cairns final. I think Cairns can do it. Very strong team this year.

Can't wait, should be a good season, unless your a Kings supporter.

Reply #141080 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Coopz.....MacKinnon is working his way towards an NBA roster. He was never eligible for the draft. The fact that draft day has passed does not mean anything in his situation.

I think Brisbane will miss Black and definitely will not repeat if Mack is NBA-Bound.

Reply #141094 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mackinnon worked out with the Raptors recently and though he was considered one of their top five prospects, they already had his position covered. His NBA chances are not yet snuffed.

Reply #141097 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

i think the breakers will do very well next season..they have recruited some great prospects namely winitana,phill jones and mayb jason crowe..They also have a strong resrve point guard in Ryan Kersten who can run the point position when henare needs a break..

Reply #141122 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crowe signed with the Blaze.

Reply #141126 | Report this post

**Balla**  
Years ago

Yeh the NZ breakers will finally have a good season this year. That is good for the NBL and the league.

Reply #141132 | Report this post

Hoops 93  
Years ago

Speaking about the new season any word on the new major sponsor?

Reply #141138 | Report this post

shirley schmidt  
Years ago

Crane, Pool and Schmidt. Just waiting on final sign off from Denny.

Reply #141160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the NBL's contract with Phillips expired at the end of June??? Well, we're a week into July and there's been no change to the league's website. It's calling this upcoming season the 2007/08 Phillips Championship. Have Phillips decided to stay on after all or has the NBL just had no luck finding a sponsor so far?

Reply #141218 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd say they're planning a revamp of the site, and limiting their efforts with the existing one for now.

Reply #141265 | Report this post

hhghvftt  
Years ago

i think 36ers rnt good at all this year

Reply #226725 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:08 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754