concerned parent
Years ago

Should 6 year olds play district Basketball

Lets just put this out there.I know of 6yo's that are playing at the moment in under 10. Should they be allowed to play being that they take court time from players that are of age (8).I know that it is U 10's but it is the bottom age .Should BSA consider an U 8's comp.

Topic #12098 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes BSA should consider an u/8 comp for sure. But until then let the kids play in u/10...It will develop their game in the mean time.

Reply #141204 | Report this post

concerned parent  
Years ago

yes, I totally understand, however, with some kids being in the same div for 3 to 4 years may quit due to bordem and at a young age have a short attention span and also have the of age group kids drop out due to the fact that their team is so divided due to their height, maturity and competance and get very dejected due to winning very few games and may also end up dropping out themselves.

Reply #141205 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

i dont think u could really ame another age group at that age, i think if anything it would have to be like a city south comp. that just prepares you for under 10's

Reply #141208 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

crap spelling in the above post
i was ment to say

i dont think u could really make another age group espiaclly at that age, i think if anything it would have to be like a city south comp. that just prepares you for under 10's. although that would only be bewteen two teams so really clubs that are quite close might have to make a league similar to city south

Reply #141209 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Of the one or two kids I've known to play underaged in u10 (and even u12s), they've been playing because they have exceptional talent that makes them equal to the age group - ie. they are forcing their way into the team, they are not holding it back ..

Reply #141216 | Report this post

supporter  
Years ago

Some 6 year olds play with more maturity than 8 or 9 year olds. It depends entirely on the child. As for burnout, I have known players start at 5 and go on to play state juniors and then ABA etc.

Reply #141217 | Report this post

russell coight  
Years ago

i thought there was a by law - but no probs with the little ones playing if it is all done the right way

Reply #141222 | Report this post

tessisadog  
Years ago

i dont think 6 year olds should be playing district basketball. start playing school basketball untill they turn 8 or 9 to play under 10's.

Reply #141235 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

If they are good enough to make the team, why not.

Reply #141242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep i agree! If the kids are good enough why not let them play...If they make the team, let them play in it.

Reply #141250 | Report this post

skink  
Years ago

let them play, let them have fun

Reply #141333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wanted my son to start as a 6 year old but was told by the club it wasn't allowed. He could train but not play.

So was this a club rule or BSA rule. From memory when looking at the years of birth for all age groups they list 2 years only. This would suggest that 6 years shouldn't be playing

Reply #141361 | Report this post

Jack Spratt  
Years ago

Let the children play!

Reply #141579 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:30 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754