Promoter
Years ago

Abl biggest games?

With this weeks big clash between Norwood and North to determine minor round champ, got me thinking what have been some of the bigger games in recent history between 2 clubs that isnt a finals match?
I remember a great battle between Sturt and Forestville at the Nest where sturt came from 20 down at half time to win the contest in 01...anyone got any others?

Topic #12107 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Obviously biased towards recent (crap memory) Sturt games:

Sturt 99, Forestville 98 (Sturt without Forman and Smylie; Gower barely returned from injury) - Darren Ng, 49 points. Then Forman returned and they lost the grand final! Boxscore

Another great Sabres-Eagles game was Forestville 96, Sturt 94. Dix 26 and 13. Forman 37 and 16 (including 17 in the fourth to bring them back into the game), Gower 20, 18 and 5, plus 6 steals.

That final the other year between Forestville and Norwood where Coops set some rebounding record and almost had a TD was awesome from the perspective of an impartial spectator too.

Reply #141275 | Report this post

CABL Stats  
Years ago

Isaac,

From memory a few years ago you set up a CABL stats with pie charts on production and all that. Is that something that you can still do or does it take up too much of your time? Personally I enjoyed comparing players and teams. I would like to see the return of the pie charts and stats..

Reply #141276 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Takes a lot of time and even with a full-time employee, I am far too busy this year. These days, the CABL site is far better too, so the need isn't as great.

Reply #141279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember in 2003 when Forestville beat West in preliminary final at Wayville. Eagles were up by as many as 17 but west brought it back to 7 by the half. Then at 3 quarter time the bearcats were up by about 8 after Cioffi went nuts from everywhere. Then with about 8 or 9 mins to go West were up by 12 but Forestville went on the win by 3 and of course the championship the following week.

Great game and atmosphere!

Reply #141375 | Report this post

Dennis Denuto  
Years ago

West beat Woodvile in double OT a week before that Eagles prelim loss at the Port.

Truslove hit a 3 to tie it up on the regulation buzzer after West were down by 19 at the half.

Darren then had a 40 footer to send it to triple out but it caught iron!

Think it was 124-121

Reply #141394 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

Back in the late 80's (I think, or early 90"s) Woodville beat the Tigers at m/vale after a triple O/T by 1 point on the buzzer.

I cant remember if it was finals, or a minor round game; there was probably nothing riding on it, but it is still one of my all time favorite Bball moments that I have witnessed. The comradere among players, officials and fans in the bar afterwards was fantastic as we all realised that we had witnessed a special game! Pity there had to be a winner & loser that night.

Reply #141738 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:01 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754