Hoopla??
Years ago

Southern Tigers 'Hoopla'

Just heard about the Southern Tigers Hoopla. Being run on the long weekend of October. Interested to hear peoples views as between seasons I would have thought most people would want a break. Thoughts?

Topic #12128 | Report this topic

red square  
Years ago

depends - if your team doesnt make the finals - you have already had sometime off.

maybe it's a ploy to increase their BBQ franchises ???

I am looking at it as a chance to see what my new team will be like for 2007/8

didnt woodville run a carnival at this time as well many years ago - and it fell over?

is it on AFL GF day ?
better have widescreen in the bar to make it work if taht is the case

it has my support - lets see if it works

Reply #141536 | Report this post

what the!  
Years ago

With the kids moving up divisions I dont see how it could work - they dont know what team they are in and/or who is in their team, or who is their Coach, is it aimed at Div 1 & 2 or is it aimed at lower divisions like their other carnival. Is it for the new season teams or the old. Many teams get changed around. So if you are a second year U14 moving up to U16's are you eligible in this carnival for U14's or U16's it is a bit confusing at this time of year. Or do they expect that the other Clubs will have their teams announced before this. "Good Luck with that" If you dont know who is in your team how can you nominate without asking, players may not want to do it and either may the coach.

Reply #141550 | Report this post

Hoopla??  
Years ago

I don't think it clashes with GF day, but it is aimed for the Div 1 and 2 teams. Apparently trying to lure interstate and country teams. Saying it is a lead up to the new season, but realistically teams would be able to put in current Div 1 teams because the cut off would be at the end of the year for ages. (not saying clubs wouldb e doing it). What about the break, don't we give kids parents and coaches a break from a long hectic year? Long weekend also and the first for a long time so people would be looking for a family holiday? What the has great point, forcing coaches to pick teams earlier or before their first treaining back. Can not see it happening.

Reply #141551 | Report this post

red square  
Years ago

yes that age thing is interesting - do you run with your 2006/7 0r 2007/8 crew ?

depends what by law tigers adopt.

woodville used to get a sprinkling of country teams for their city v country carnival - but not too many metro clubs went for it from memory.

time will tell on these questions.

what stadiums are they using ?
who is teh head ref?
how many divisions?

how is wests carnival going ?
that could be a gage on local interest - albeit a lower div tourney

Reply #141562 | Report this post

red square  
Years ago

another point - why dont west and tigers amalgamate their tourneys ?

more infrastructure support with 2 clubs

Reply #141563 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

(#141536) You mean you hope that the bar is EVEN open!

The bar, in my experience, has some "strange" opening hours. Substitute "strange" with not open when people want to use it and you will get my drift.

Reply #141572 | Report this post

what the!  
Years ago

I would hope that they would have all their criteria sorted for the SA teams before they start advertising to interstaters/country teams. Nothing that I have received via my Club indicates this. Dont think the country/interstaters would be thrilled to get here to play themselves or each other..

Reply #141578 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

GF the last Sat'day in September.. and you call yourselves aussies!

Reply #141581 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

AFL GF Day is September 29 which also happens to be the long weekend.

Reply #141595 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Adelaide and Port will not be in the GF so it doesn't matter. Hahaha

Reply #141667 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

Most people still want to see the GF no matter who makes it.

I am all for my kids developing their skills..... as long as that development does not happen to fall on Bathurts or AFL GF day!

Reply #141729 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754